Shooting from a tripod

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I had picked up a trigger stick tripod for helping my wife and son when they started hunting. It was a great aid for them shooting off hand. My wife took a cow moose from it and the level of comfort really helped her. Sadly the trigger stick didn’t hold up to Alaskan weather.

I had been looking for a different option when I ran across a pig saddle and tripod at my suppressor dealers. I was intrigued enough to want to try it out.

After doing a little shooting from a tripod and pig saddle I decided to make one part of my hunting gear. I already carry a tripod for my spotting scope so throwing the pig saddle in to the mix shouldn’t be a big deal. It is much more stable that shooting off hand and gets you above the grass and brush. I think it will be a real asset. It has complete pan/tilt ability and is amazingly solid even when shooting from standing position.

f900835c935b32c8f40a63a8f5a511b9.jpg

e7ad49f9a4744c85eb846c682c5f2bdb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've looked at the pig saddle... are you using it with a regular camera tripod?

Cool- The Caldwell field rest sometimes seems to have to much "stuff in the way". This looks to solve that. I can think of a couple guys shooting from chairs who might make good use of this. Thanks for posting. CL

That looks sweet and helps save some weight in the long run not having to have both the tripod and a bipod or something similar.

The pig 0311 tripod showed up yesterday after being back ordered for 2 months.

I’m very impressed with this thing. It has a very wide range of hight adjustment from 11 inches all the way up to 65”. It’s built like a tank! It is dead steady from sitting and standing positions.

At $138 dollars it is without a doubt the best bang for your buck in a shooting tripod.

0db33db88425d242bd19a1bc8e360179.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience is limited to the BOG tripod after shooting two animals in Montana last fall while using the tripod.. It doubles as a walking stick, if you are careful not to bang the legs together it is quiet, and the increase in stability is great for me. Before last fall I thought it was just so much extra weight. Highly recommended from my limited experience.

I have been using the BogPog for about 10 years the first Model a a V mount which broke the first real cold day hunting Whitetail. I sent a email & received a new replacement mount that was a wide U & it has worked great ever since.
I too use it as a walking stick which comes in handy when you get old :mrgreen:!

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks all, by the way, for calling a tripod a tripod.

I read posts where "tripod" and "bipod" are freely thrown about as though they were the same thing.

Thank you! Guy

I have an Outdoorsmans head on a Promaster 525T I use as my optics and shooting platform. I like the tripod because one leg unscrews to make a trekking pole (walking stick). I have used the Outdoorsmans rifle rest in the past:
https://outdoorsmans.com/collections/tr ... rifle-rest

But I bought a Triclawps to try to see if it's any steadier. Haven't got to play with it much.
https://outdoorsmans.com/collections/tr ... /triclawps

The Outdoorsmans stuff is high but its a buy once type of equipment, it's well built. I have one of their compact medium tripods too but seem to usually use the Promaster anymore. The extra height and removable leg come in handy.

Downside of the weight advantage over a separate shooting platform is the added time it takes to set-up when it's configured for optics or has a leg removed. As part of trying to drop the weight of what I pack I went to an Exo 3500 pack. Now for quicker shots I can use the framed pack prone or upright as a rest if time doesn't allow for setting up the tripod. The pack is lighter than my old one and has the stiff frame that makes it a better rest. I practice that way a lot now.

Back