Weatherby/Fotis/Others

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
Fotis ( and everyone/anyone )

Fellow wants to purchase two Weatherby's to hunt Europe and plains game in Africa.

I recommended the 270 and 340 if only two, but if he could swing three rifles the 257. 300, and 340.

However, I told him I knew a gentleman that had all the Weatherby rifles and his opinion on this subject would be better than mine. Fotis, in my humble opinion the toughest game to bring down in Europe would be the wild Boar and the 340 would easily do that, all other game in Europe has been hunted with the 6.5 Swede or the 7x 57, so that is why I suggested the 270.

What would you recommend Fotis ( and other Weatherby owners )

I like your recommendation.

There is probably no better cartridge for deer sized game than the .270 wby. I've heard that some plains game animals go 2000 lbs. and the 300 wby can handle that but, the 340 could do it better. I'd feel better having a .340 or something similar in my hands while hunting Africa........

I would say 300 bee and a 378 bee. That way he's covered for legal minimum caliber in Africa, and the 300 bee is as proven as they come for non lethal game.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

I don't think there is anything wrong with the two Weatherby cartridges that you suggested. I would think they will work just perfectly.

David

April I wish I could advise you but I only have limited knowledge of Weatherby cartridges and the one I do know about I couldn't tolerate the recoil and that was a 300 Bee yet I have a 35Whelen/AI and a 338Wm which either is no slouch in the recoil area. So what he decides on would determine the amount of recoil he can take.
Just curious why you left out the 7mm Weatherby and chose the 270?

Europe":346xt3wn said:
Fellow wants to purchase two Weatherby's to hunt Europe and plains game in Africa.

I recommended the 270 and 340 if only two, but if he could swing three rifles the 257. 300, and 340.

I would say your recommendation of the 270 and 340 is a good one. In my opinion the 300 and 340 are too much alike so I would skip the 300.

He could just as easily do the 7mm and 340, the 7mm Wby is really underrated and with it's typically sleek bullets it gives the 300 a real good run for it's money at longer ranges especially with less recoil. If he wants's three guns how about adding a Vanguard in 6.5x55 instead? You can hunt almost anything with a 6.5x55, 270/7mm Wby and a 340 Wby, in fact the two smaller ones will take care of probably 90% or more of any animals he would hunt, the 340 would be best only for the largest of critters.

Interesting premise...

I don't have the experience with Weatherby cartridges that Fotis has...but I can't imagine any plains game animal standing up to a .300WBY. I'd go .240 and .300WBY in a two rifle setup, although I'd imagine the .300 would get the lion's share of the shooting in Africa The .240WBY (or a .257) would be pretty deadly on the smaller animals in Europe.

Hawk Eye is on the right track with the proper setup. My only opinion is some my find the recoil a bit much for them using the big 378 Wby.

270 Wby is one of the few regular sized calibers I don't own in a Weatherby.

If I were reaching for the ones in my safe, it would be the 7mm and the 340.
In fact, those are the ones I'm taking elk hunting in a week.

I own the 270 Wby and believe it to be a great and versatile cartridge. Works very well on game, large and small.

I have shot, but not hunted with the 340 Wby, and have used the 338 Win Mag quite a bit, and believe the 340 to be just that much more.

Great combo that I have thought of acquiring myself.

For the 3rd Wby cartridge, for dangerous game, I would opt for the 375 Wby. I have shot the 375 AI, but have not hunted with it, but am told that the two are very similar in recoil and performance. And it will not kill at both ends like the 378.

The 270 bee the 340 bee are great choices for plain games. A 150 Partition at 3200 fps and a 210 Partition or Tsx at 3100-3200 fps will do for almost anything

After four African safaris, I'd say.300 Wby. and the .375 Wby.

European game is just not that tough; a .30-06 is more than enough gun.

Most of the game you'd hunt in Africa is in bush and savanna. Except for game like Kafue lechwe, mountain nyala, and ibex, most shots are under 200yds. Shots on gemsbok and springbok can be long in Namibia and parts of South Africa but you can get closer with some effort and luck.

Most pachyderms are taken at under 100yds. and many under 50yds. A well-constructed bullet is far more important than velocity.

George

GeorgeS":1yaac3bk said:
After four African safaris, I'd say.300 Wby. and the .375 Wby.

European game is just not that tough; a .30-06 is more than enough gun.

Most of the game you'd hunt in Africa is in bush and savanna. Except for game like Kafue lechwe, mountain nyala, and ibex, most shots are under 200yds. Shots on gemsbok and springbok can be long in Namibia and parts of South Africa but you can get closer with some effort and luck.

Most pachyderms are taken at under 100yds. and many under 50yds. A well-constructed bullet is far more important than velocity.

George

+1 [emoji115]

Unless they're a handloader, I would suggest the .378 Weatherby for African game larger than a lion.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

FOTIS":1tstvdjo said:
The 270 bee the 340 bee are great choices for plain games. A 150 Partition at 3200 fps and a 210 Partition or Tsx at 3100-3200 fps will do for almost anything

thank you fotis and thanks to everyone who sent good information my way, it is appreciated

George you are spot on. As mentioned in my opening post, game in Europe is hunted with the 6,5 x 55 --a lot. As far as Africa goes they will only be hunting plains game and have no intention of hunting any dangerous game.. Your point about the 375 and 378 is correct, but if they are only hunting plains game, I feel the 340 would be enough, plus I was thinking they would not need to worrying about whether or not the recoil of the 375 or 378 would be excessive to them, again as they are not going to hunt any thick skinned animals--at least that was my thinking.

Gerry, you also make a good point and the 6.5 x 55 vanguard should be all one would need in Europe and off course it is one of my favorite calibers, albeit I am not going.

Dr Vette-- For some reason I can not explain why the 7mm is not in my thought process as I never owned one or used one--I am sure that was my loss however

Hodgeman. The 240 has always been of interest too me, but for the cost of going o Africa I am going to recommend something a little larger like the 270 ( and 340 ) but for sure some of the animals both in Africa an Europe could be hunted with a 240

Thanks again to everyone who responded, good suggestions from everyone and appreciated

I take the 300 for everything now; Africa, NZ and North America. One cartridge, one load, one scope.

Not a wits worth of difference between the 270 & 7MM Wby. The 270 was the first :wink: . I would lean to the 340 or 375 for the heavier 2nd choice, favoring the 375. The 378 just seems too much of a "good thing" :shock: ... Definitely more than I would want. I also agree with rodell, a 300 for just one rifle.

Back