Meat storage?

et_miller_87

Beginner
Nov 7, 2016
So if youre like me, you dont appreciate the taste of freezer burned meat. So to avoid that I am investing in a vacuum sealer. What brand or model would you all suggest. Whether from experience or from what your friends or family have used. Not letting ANYTHING go to waste again! Links would be great but not a necessity. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Posted in the wrong subforum! Mod, could you move it to the hunting forum? Wont let me delete it

I used a cheap old Kenmore vacuum sealer for years with no major issues. It crapped out this spring during turkey season so I went on the search for a new one. I ended up going with a foodsaver. There are a lot that say they are cheap, but the overall reviews are great. I got mine on sale at Bass pro, but if you check out their website they have refurbished units at pretty good prices. Things to look for: units that have a moist setting otherwise you will have a hard time sealing a bag that the contents aren't 100% dry. The units that have the rolls of bags stored inside tend to waste bag material, but you don't have to use the internal storage. Check the number of seals they are rated for without a cool down period. Without getting into the commercial models the sportsman models are usually rated for more seals between cool down. Buy your bag rolls at Cabela's. They have the bulk rolls at pretty decent prices.
I bought the gm2165 for right at a hundred bucks, but the price has gone up since then. http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/foodsave ... 02231053-1
Foodsaver site
http://www.foodsaver.com/vacuum-sealers ... m-sealers/

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

The only thing I vacuum seal is fish... red meat gets rolled in plastic wrap and then sealed in butcher paper.

I've eaten meat stored this way that was 5+years old....just fine.

I just noticed that Bass pro lists it as model number gm2165 but foodsaver lists it as model 2150. They appear to be the same though.

Hodgeman +1 for the fish comment. Had salmon 2 yrs old, as long as the package did not loose seal, it eats fine.

Burger, i grind right into 1# bags with the tape. Works great.

Steak cuts, any vacuum sealer works. Mine was free with a freezer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hodgeman":2ezmm8l9 said:
The only thing I vacuum seal is fish... red meat gets rolled in plastic wrap and then sealed in butcher paper.

I've eaten meat stored this way that was 5+years old....just fine.
I do it similar Hodgeman. I use the plastic freezer bags and get the two quart size. I put the steaks of roasts into the freezer bag and spin the bag and get all the air out that I can and then wrap with freezer paper. It keeps the meat just fine for long periods. The plastic bag is nice to so you don't have blood draining out of the package when it's thawing out.

I've thought about getting one of the products you folks are talking about but not sure I need it??

I would not go back to just using freezer bags if I had the choice. Compressing and pushing air out you never get it all out and if you do it never fails you get some in when trying to zip it closed. With a vacuum sealer you get 100% of the air out and a melted seal that won't unzip if it is jostled around in the freezer.

If you do a lot of game meat avoid the food saver type and get a chamber sealer. I have a vacmaster, spendy but works awesome. I have killed a half dozen foodsaver type vacuumed sealers. Usually when doing a lot of salmon after dip netting. The vacmaster just keeps going, no waiting for it to cool, always a good seal, and much cheaper bags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all of the swift replies everybody! Still looking. My dad uses a zip lock brand vacuum sealer anf swears by it. Ill make that purchase and report back how it holds up. On a different note, seems lile the deer are only moving right after the 30 minute past sunset timeframe. Was walking away from my stand tonight, and of course the deer have ventured out. Mid 50s today, warmer near noon. Hoping cooler weather will bring them out earlier. Central Ohio hunting is difficult to say the least!

chrispbrown27":1htgiaay said:
I would not go back to just using freezer bags if I had the choice. Compressing and pushing air out you never get it all out and if you do it never fails you get some in when trying to zip it closed. With a vacuum sealer you get 100% of the air out and a melted seal that won't unzip if it is jostled around in the freezer.

That's why I like plastic wrap- you roll it up tight and there's no air at all, the butcher paper protects that wrap from punctures and provides an additional seal as well.

The only drag is that when you thaw it- it can leak but I generally thaw it in a bowl or plate.

I wrap most with cling wrap and freezer paper. Got a new freezer this year and decided to read up, and learned a couple things. The advice is - if you're loading a significant quantity into the box at one time, turn down the thermostat ahead of time, get the temp to -10 (minus 10) or so BEFORE putting the load in. Spread the new stuff out if you can and let it stay there until frozen good. A decent thermometer is needed of course. Part of the theory is that smaller ice crystals (which allow less potential air contact) are created with quick freezing. My 2 cents worth.
EE2

Back