THE HUNTING RIFLE: Jack O'Connor

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Picked up a hard copy version of this book a few weeks back at a second hand store for $5 that is in excellent if not near pristine condition. A wealth of information and gun history by a writer that makes it easy to read on to the next chapter. I consider it a real prize. Not to mention the pictures of some absolutely fantastic crafted rifles. Highly recommend the book if you run across it anywhere.

Very cool!

The only truly "old" gun book I have is an old copy of Sixguns by Keith.

Guy, you will appreciate this comment in Jack's book when speaking of the 30/06.

"I have used the caliber on mule and whitetail deer, elk, moose, black bear, grizzly, pronghorn antelope, sheep, coyotes, jackrabbits, caribous, greater kudu, zebra, and a whole flock of African antelope about the size of deer. If anyone says that the .30/06 isn't a fine caliber for about 90 percent of all African and Asiatic game or isn't a good caliber for grizzly, elk, and moose, I gently but firmly tell him he is full of prunes."

The -06 is a great time tested calibre that has a very wide range of bullet weights. Though I have never owned a -06 I have shot the 270win almost exclusively for over 40 years and now own a 280AI & a 35 Whelen :wink:. The -06 is the Father/Mother of many fine cartridges (y).

Blessings,
Dan

The US service rifle adopted in '03 and refined in '06, is still as fine a cartridge as one could hope to use in the field. For the individual restricted to one cartridge, he/she could do far worse than to have a rifle chambered in .30-06 at hand. The cartridges we identify as "classic," got that designation for a reason.

I have quite a few of Jack's books, Keith's Sixguns, Hell I Was There, Keith's Rifles For Large Game( 1946)and his Big Game Rifles (1936) and his Sixgun Cartridges and Loads. (1936) All well worth reading.
The Keith books are all reprints.
Paul B.

Yes a great book as I have one also, Jack had some great advice about Hunting also. Like the most important piece of gear besides a Rifle is ones boots as he states a person will put up with being a little wet or cold, but will not walk out of camp with blisters on his feet. Solid Advice.

O'Connors book of the rifle should be required reading for all rifleman. Most of my beliefs about rifles and hunting come from reading O'Connor both in books and in his magazine articles. Game in the Desert is my favorite O'Connor read.

Good find on the book ShadeTree.

Back