Special runs of Ruger 77 Hawkeye in 358 Win.

My Ruger Hawkeye chambered in .358 Win delivers exceptional accuracy. If these match up to that one, this could be another excellent rifle for someone looking for a great woods gun.

Many years ago a friend shifted from his long-range boomers to a .358 Win Browning BLR with a little Aimpoint red-dot on it for his elk hunting. After a few hunts, with terrific success, he dubbed it "killer."

Guy

With only one or two exceptions, all my bolt guns are Rugers and the 358 cartridge is the only caliber I have more than one rifle chambered in. Having said that neither of these really interest me. If I didn't already have a stainless synthetic Hawkeye in 358... maybe. And I prefer wood & blue rifles... I don't really care for the basketweave checkering and the "one of" engraving means very little in added value and only then if you keep it new in box. If you want it as a shooter it has no premium value beyond the caliber over a run of the mill Hawkeye. I'd really like to see some actual pics of some of the wood. An outstanding figured stock could add some value but likely not more than the price premium. The 358 is a "killer" and more than a "woods" gun btw. I have taken bull moose at 20ft and bull elk at 200yds (kind of a long 'woods' shot on large tough game) and it is an absolute hammer on deer sized game.

I agree, Sam, that the .358 Win is more than a "woods gun." Actually, I've taken bison with my BLR. It wasn't the best choice, but it did work. It can readily take moose and elk. I've certainly taken both with my .356 Win, and it is somewhat more "anemic" than the .358. The .358 is a great cartridge. It doesn't beat up the younger and/or smaller shooter, and it still delivers a mighty blow to game.

I'd love a stainless/synthetic similar to the Frontier rifle they used to make. It'd be a great light weight rifle for traveling with to places like Alaska.

Handled one of these in the walnut version this past weekend; beautiful stock on it!

Just about brought it home...still contemplating it for my daughter, who is a right-handed shooter. She took her first big game animal with my BLR in 358 a few years ago. Love the cartridge and how it has performed for me over the years on moose, elk and grizzly bear. Sighted in for a 200 yard zero, can hold on a fist sized rock out at 250 yards and hit it everytime from various field positions with the Leupold VX-3 1.5-5 scope.

While the basket weave may not be my favourite pattern, it is distinctive and is sharply done and would provide good grip.

Well if you are looking for a 358 it's likely cheaper than a new BLR. Don't have a lot of choices for production rifles in 358. They are not common on the used market but they are out there occasionally.
As far as the Frontier... I believe that was just a 16.5" barrel with the option for a scout scope. Could be easily done from a standard Ruger if you find one. I don't think I'd cut the barrel down quite that far, if any, unless I really needed it that short overall. The 358 doesn't need a lot of barrel but I think you'd lose a bit going that short.

Back