6X45 project post Photobucket

taylorce1

Handloader
Jun 3, 2007
I had started a post on this rifle, but photbucket pretty much killed the photos of it. Got these pictures from the Cerakote applicator this morning, should have this one back in the next week or two as it still needs some engraving.

Savage 10 action reprofiled by Steve Field
PT&G Parallel Recoil Lug .187" ground down to fit Accustock by Steve Field
SS X-Caliber #3 contour 1:7 twist 5R
Rayhill Bolt Handle & Bolt Lift Kit
Prairie Ghost camo WTP on Accustock
Tan Cerakote (Steve picked color not sure the exact one)
Barrel & Bolt fluting by Twisted Barrel

56036.jpg

56037.jpg

56038.jpg

56039.jpg

56040.jpg

Glad I waited to go with the Cerakote color until I got the stock back. Steve talked me into waiting as the applicator he sent the stock to had never used that print before. Based off the pattern I had picked off the online sample, the Sage Green I chose for the metal would have been a serious mistake.

56041.jpg

Nice! I have been thinking about building one for a while.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Nice rifle I read about the 6x45 several years ago. It seems a Gun writer was building a light gun for his two small kids to use in Texas for Deer. I can’t remember the bullets they used on their Deer, but they seemed to work very well. Seems like that would be a fun cartridge to load for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleveland48":3j5aptgp said:
Nice rifle I read about the 6x45 several years ago. It seems a Gun writer was building a light gun for his two small kids to use in Texas for Deer. I can’t remember the bullets they used on their Deer, but they seemed to work very well. Seems like that would be a fun cartridge to load for

I built it to be Colorado legal for big game. Doubt I'd use it for elk! :shock:

I have several boxes of 85gr nosler Partition and sierra HPBT gamekings that taunt me to build one on a regular basis. It’s a great little cartridge

Nice rifle! I have two 6x45 AR-15's. The 85 gr PT and the 85 gr Sierra HPBT GK are awesome on whitetail.

Really like the looks of the cammo and paint job! I have that savage stock. Tell us more about this parallel recoil lug. What the heck is it? Why is it a good thing? Thnx. CL

cloverleaf":yckfotfb said:
Really like the looks of the cammo and paint job! I have that savage stock. Tell us more about this parallel recoil lug. What the heck is it? Why is it a good thing? Thnx. CL

The parallel recoil lug is neither a good or bad thing, it's just what is required to work in an Accustock aluminum bedding block. Truth be told I'd rather have the more traditional tapered lug that Savage uses in the non-Accustock models. The tapered lug has advantages when bedding a rifle, especially when popping it out of the bedding.

I bought this rifle and it was in an Accustock but the previous owner of the rifle had tried to grind a tapered recoil lug as well as the aluminum bedding block to get it to fit. It fit horribly and the action was under a lot of stress in the stock. I picked up the proper recoil lug from Midway USA for less than $5 in the white, I also ordered from PT&G two precision ground recoil lugs at the same time.

I had to get the recoil lugs from PT&G because the Accustock requires the .187" thick lug, the .200 or .250" that I'd prefer and Midway sells won't fit. The Savage lug is stamped and not always flat and that I why I bought the PT&G lugs, but the PT&G isn't the right size either for the Accustock so I had planned to file them match the factory lug and I bought two just in case there was as screw up. Once I saw how much file work it would take, I decided to take it to someone who had the proper tools and pay for it to be done.

Here is a bad picture of my recoil lugs, but you can see the difference between the recoil lugs.

hFdxjuU.jpg

6mm Remington":2o34lm05 said:
Nice looking set-up. What are the ballistics compared with a 6mm Remington?

Average 600-800 fps slower with 60 grain bullets and 500-700 fps slower with 100 grain bullets using a little more than half of the powder a 6mm Rem uses.

Very attractive work. I have no doubt you will enjoy this rifle immensely.

I've been mulling one of these over in my mind. The 70gr BT would be a great coyote round for calling. I think I'd build mine on a CZ mini or maybe a model 7.

I would say you have turned a sow's ear into a silk purse.
Great looking rifle, I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Back