Christensen Arms Ridgeline Rifle

diverdown

Handloader
Apr 29, 2015
OK Guys, I emptied my wallet and picked up the above rifle in .300 Winchester Magnum. I had previously, over the past year or so sold off a couple of rifles that I had not used in a long, long time and actually put the money aside to be used for something down the road that I could not live without. I had heard about a new gunshop opening up in a town just North of me and decided to see what products they had for sale. The shop is actually quite nice and has a restaurant, Handgun range and a large retail area where you can really indulge. Of course I went to the rifle rack area and started perusing. I went by an area where the Christensen Arms rifles were displayed and stopped short when I saw their selection. They do stand out with the Multi Camo stock and the Carbon fiber barrel. I handled one and never realized previously how light they were, even with a 26 inch barrel. The action was really smooth with no play and I also found out they make their own barrels. I ended up walking out with one and when I got home I spent some time mounting a Kahles 3X9 with ultralight mounts. I have not shot it yet and just completed some ammo for my first trip to my buddie's range. Does anyone have this type of rifle and if so what are your thoughts. By the way the trigger is great and breaks right at 3Lbs.

Sounds as if you picked up a very nice rifle. Congratulations. The gun shop sounds like quite a full service place to the shooter.

I have two of them. 28 and 30 Nosler...best shooting factory rifles I have ever owned. My only tiny gripe is the bolt clearance from the scope.

Pics:
56971f0163eaf091aeebfcdd2bf21523.jpg

0e15cf736a9e741082ee145a0c0c48e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My hunting partner has one that he bought from them at the SHOT show. He took his first elk with it 5y ago, and it shoots very well with Hornady factory ammo.

The weight is great for carry, but we found that holding a lightweight rifle still to make longer shots can be a bit of a challenge.

Friend of mine has one in 7mm Rem mag, and has done well with it out to 600 yards at the range.

It's his mule deer & elk rifle.

Guy

Thanks for the feedback fellas, it sounds like it was a good purchase. I had read up on the Christensen rifles previously but it's nice to hear from others who have them and are satisfied. I'm dying to get to my buddy's range but here in my area of Florida we have had tons of rain and his range is slightly under water. Hopefully this next week which is supposed to be much drier is going to allow me to do some shooting. I'll post my results. Thanx again.

Be sure to follow the break in procedures provided with you owners pack. If you use a bore snake it makes the cleaning of the barrel easier after each round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally got out to my Bud's range today to break the barrel in and see what kind of performance I would get from IMR 4831 and RL 22 using the Sierra 180 grain Gameking. After the first ten rounds (cleaning after every shot) I was able to fire five shots prior to the next cleaning. I found out right away that my rifle didn't appreciate IMR 4831. When I switched to 74 grains of RL22 the only thing I could say was "WOW". I put the next five shots under an inch at 100 yards. The one other powder I'm going to try is RL26 with the same bullet and we'll see how this combination works. Based on what I'm hearing on the RL26 performance with the .300WM it should be interesting which combination is going to work the best for hunting purposes.

Nice. Glad it's shooting well.

RL-22 and a good 180 is a great combo. I used it years ago. Good velocity & accuracy. I was using mostly 180 Nosler Partitions, also some Sierras. No problem getting 3,000+ fps with good accuracy.

Guy

Guy and Scotty, With the muzzle brake the rifle is an actual pleasure to shoot although, the noise as predicted was "loud". For my extended shooting session it reduced the recoil substantially. Obviously Christensen arms performed quite a bit of work on the barrel as the cleaning part was easy and very little copper was left in the barrel. After 30 rounds running a patch down the barrel is smooth as silk. I'll advise after running some RL26 down the barrel.

Finally got out to my Buddy's place and finished the last twenty rounds required to break the barrel in. Used 180 Sierra game kings again with 75 grains of RL22. Velocity is averaging 3100 and accuracy has been excellent with 1" groups. Now that this is finished I'm going to run some RL26 with these bullets and see what I come up with. Something very interesting did come up with 180 grain Sierra Prohunters which I loaded five rounds to see what the accuracy potential was. The bullets seated in the case a little sluggish and when I measured them for OAL the next day they had actually been pushed forward by the powder. That ended trying that particular bullet.

Finished up at the range this morning with some very pleasant surprises. I loaded up 10 rounds with the 180 Grain Federal Trophy bonded using 74.7 grains of RL26 (one grain below max). Primer was a Fed. 215M. OAL was 3.320. The cases which I hadn't mentioned previously were Sig Sauer. Very good quality. Primer pockets were excellent. All cases showed annealing and OAL was just above minimum required. Velocity turned in again at 3100FPS. Accuracy is what opened my eyes. At 200 yards I'm getting three shot one inch groups. I'm using a Kahles 3X9 Riflescope. I think I found what I going to use for hunting.

Dang, that sounds like a hammer! I like those Tipped TBBCS are pretty wicked Bullets from all I have seen so far.

Scotty, the accuracy with the Federal Trophy bonded was an eye opener. Not only do they look good they shoot great. At 3100FPS with that accuracy I feel no need to push up to max.

diverdown":3fpm6w3u said:
Scotty, the accuracy with the Federal Trophy bonded was an eye opener. Not only do they look good they shoot great. At 3100FPS with that accuracy I feel no need to push up to max.

That's excellent. They are shooting pretty well from my old 270 as well.

Back