308 vs. 7mm-08

runtohunt

Handloader
Mar 7, 2012
I have a Rem 700 that I won last spring a Mule Deer Foundation Dinner. The rifle is chambered in 243. I want to build my son, who will be twelve this spring, a rifle that he could use for deer, antelope and elk. I plan to have Pac-Nor replace the barrel and true the action for Christmas and then place the barreled action in a McSwirly in April for his birth day. Nov '17 we will go to Colorado for a cow elk hunt.

I have no experience with either cartridge.

At first, I was going to go with the 308 but then I started thinking about the 7mm-08. I like the wide variety of bullets for the 7 and the excellent ballistic coefficients. I have become a devote fan of the 7mm over the last two years. I hope in the future I will have him shooting out to 400 yards which may be too far for elk in either cartridge(?).

What say you? 7mm-08 or 308? Thank you in advance for your input.

Either the 7mm-08 or the 308 is a great cartridge that will work well. Obviously, the advantage of the 308 is greater frontal area and perhaps a larger weight range for bullets, but I would say that any advantage is slight. In practise, I don't see that much of an advantage. Either cartridge will give you great service, without a doubt. For a younger shooter, I'd lean toward the 7mm-08, primarily because it may appear less intimidating. Don't know that there is a practical advantage of one over the other, however. By the way, that will be a super birthday gift.

Both rifles will do the job. I went with the 7mm-08 for my wife and daughters. It is extremely accurate. I have worked up loads for the 120 gr. BT, the 140 gr. BT and the 139 gr. IB. We use Varget.
In 2 weeks we head out for my youngest first cow elk. I have buddies who shoot the little 7 who cleanly and swiftly kill elk out to 450 yards. They shoot 140 gr. Accubonds.
What a cool gift! I'm sure your son will love either one!

For a learner, I would lean to a 7-08, but the .308 has a wider assortment of bullets to choose from if you reload, but both will do just fine.

I use starting loads of IMR4895 with the 300 Savage for my Daughters, and they have no trouble handling the recoil. You can go even lower with H4895. My youngest took a Whitetail doe this year with one 125BT, DRT.

Either will be fine, and if I could only shoot factory, I'd go with the 7, but reloading makes either viable.

One other thing that makes the 308 attractive is the availability of pulled military bullets. Makes for cheap plinking.

7-08 would be my choice, we currently have a few around the house that are deer and elk thumpers. Mild recoil and great bullet selection. My boy took a 5 point bull last year with his 7-08 and a 184" mule deer buck this season. I love the cartridge. Not saying the 308 isn't good, just love what the 7-08 will do.

At longer ranges, the high BC bullets avail for the 7-08 make it attractive. That said, I've got a couple of .308's around here, and don't have a 7-08.

They're both very good cartridges with excellent reputations for accuracy.

A 400 yard shot is a long shot at elk. I'd say the shooter's skill is more important that the difference between those two cartridges at that range.

Regards, Guy

Flip a coin! Personally I have several 308s. Never really seen where the 7 was really better at anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Camilla 7mm-08 I got my granddaughter has worked out very well

It has been a few years since I had a 308, but I dont remember it being able to do anything the 7mm-08 can not do and vice versa

I would lean towards the 7mm-08, as your son is still young and the slightly less recoil will be more pleasurable for him to shoot and develop good shooting form, accuracy and confidence.

More importantly is the teaching of patience and when and where to take and place the shot for a clean harvest of the intended species. Keep shot distances reasonable and the 7mm-08 will do everything he will need it to do with proper shot placement, until he is ready for a larger caliber.

Sounds like a great rifle that you are planning for him!
Best wishes and memorable adventures for you both!

It's a coin flip with two winners and no losers.

I've got and love both. The 7-08 is perhaps the best low recoil killing stick available and punches above its weight class. My vote would go to the 7-08, but in all reality...you can't really go wrong here.

After knocking over a number of caribou with both- I can't say there's enough difference on the receiving end to notice.

Thanks guys! I like both as well although I have never owned either in a hunting rifle. Do have an AR in 308 and have greatly enjoyed shooting it but not at any distance. I think I will go with the 7-08. When he graduates from college we can get something bigger if he needs it. Thank you for you input. I am thinking of trying out the 150 grain ABLR or the new 139 grain Barnes LRX. He won't be shooting beyond 200 yards for several years but I love the BC's of these two bullets.

I think that 708 is a great choice for smaller who might be more recoil sensitive. That is something that the 7mm has, and that with reduced recoil, you can get a high BC bullet, which is better at long ranges. Additionally, at the lower weights, the sectional density of the 7mm bullet in proportion to its weight delivers energy effectively.

Don't get me wrong, the 308 obviously delivers lots of energy, but when you are talking efficiency when balanced against recoil and the energy necessary to deliver a lethal blow, the 7mm delivers it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

First off that’s is a great Christmas/birthday present !! I’ve never owned a 308, or a 7/08. I have reloaded for a couple of each, and shot several of each though. I don’t really think there is a whole bunch of difference between the two. I do like the 7/08 better though, it has some great high B.C. Bullets available. If I wasn’t such a devoted 6.5 mm guy I would own a 7/08. Seems like a 140 AccuBond would be a solid Deer/elk performer especially and short to medium ranges. I guess if you handload 7/08 if you only shoot factory loads the 308, and mainly cause the 308 has such a huge factory following. Either way you go will be a good choice regardless.

I have both. There has been many a dinner on the table due to each. The truth is though, once I got the 7/08, the 308 started seeing less action really, really quick. Some cartridges just do way more in the field than the paper numbers would indicate. The 7/08 is one of them.

7mm has a higher sectional density which = better penetration at equal bullet construction, weight, and velocity. 7mm bullets also have higher bc for any given weight and shape. The only limitation for the 7mm08 is a max of about 175gr bullets that are practical for use, and that’s plenty for anything you mentioned. And the big plus are those 120gr NBTs and 120 SPHs that are sweet and deadly on deer and predator sized game. Minimal recoil. Frontal area is virtually meaningless with expanding bullets. 7mm08 is a clear winner to me.

The last two comments are why I went with 7mm for hunting... I run a 7 rem mag for more velocity, but that only matters after 4 hundred yards give or take.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I’ve been looking for a good BG rifle for the kids to shoot, so I bought a chopped down 7/08 Ruger. I grabbed it on my way out the door heading up to hunt elk a couple weeks ago, as it seemed like a nice light/short option in the dark timber. The next morning, a single 140 Barnes TTSX out of a Factory Federal Premium Load, absolutely hammered this bull at 60 yards. Saying I was impressed with the performance is an understatement. This little Ruger 7/08 will turf a lot of critters over the next 10 years.

uDx6BL8.jpg

Back