Good Guns.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
As all of us that's done any amount of reloading knows, they aren't all this way. But I have an older Model 70 in 30-06 that is just flat ridiculously easy to load for and is just as ridiculously consistent.

The very first load I ever tried with 180 grain hornady interlock flat bases, I quit and didn't go no farther. It plugs them in there every time I shoot them. 045 off the lands.

The 150 load with hornady interlock flat bases took me 3 shots to develop. I loaded one round at 56, one at 56.5, and one at 57. The same .045 off the lands. It put 56 and 56.5 in the same hole measuring just slightly bigger than caliber size, and 57 it put slightly higher so I split the difference on the first 2 and loaded at 56.2 ever since and it simply loves them.

I wanted to try out some 150 gr Speer Hot Cor's I have and never shot so when I checked they contact the lands at the exact same OAL as the 150 Hornady's, so I loaded a couple up to test at the same OAL and the same .045 off the lands and the same 56.2 gr's of powder. No real surprise to me with this gun there's no need to do any farther testing.

I also shot two 180's just to verify there was no difference in a new box of primers I just started. Shot one from the old box, one from the new.

100 yds. Bottom 2 shots are the first 2 shots with the 180's, top target is the next 2 with the Speer 150's.

Well, I'd say that rifle is a keeper. Sweet shooting, without a doubt.

mjcmichigan":by546f7u said:
Where can I get one like that???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you find out don't hog them all and keep 2 back for me please. Every time I'm working on a gun or load on another gun that is giving me some fits and I start questioning if it is me, I throw that 06 up on the bench with either 150's or 180's don't matter, just to prove that nope, it isn't me. The thing is as consistent as daylight coming in the morning. I don't really have an explanation for it.

mjcmichigan":220ewxoz said:
No doubt, model 70’s are great!

This one is supposedly the junkier years.....not pre-64, and not the new and improved model. Made in the mid 70's if I remember right when I had looked it up. It's got some wear marks on it, some from before, some from me. I've had it since 2006. It has found its last home as long as I'm kicking yet.

When the stars align and a rifle makes its way into our possession that performs beyond what all the experts say should happen with such a rifle, we should not question it; just be thankful that we have a great rifle!

It happens far more often than some would think? I have been lucky to find a couple of rifles like this over the years!

Congrats! That's an accurate rifle!

Seems someone knows how to shoot it too...

Guy

Guess you need to find a rifle that will give you fits. That one there is outstanding.

salmonchaser":2cl5lr1k said:
Guess you need to find a rifle that will give you fits. That one there is outstanding.

Trust me, like everyone else I've dealt with guns that take a lot of work and fiddling to get right, and even then they are just consistently acceptable, not consistently stellar.

This gun has been a blessing in more ways than one. I trust it enough that I use it as my benchmark to determine what matters and what doesn't matter with reloading. The what doesn't matter is a lot easier to determine. Don't ever do something and go out and shoot 1/2" groups pretty much proves it wrong.

Well believe it or not I tried something it doesn't like. Loaded up some Sierra 180 pro hunters same distance off the lands with the 53 gr of powder. The Sierra's ogive is well forward of the hornady and has a longer bearing surface. The gun didn't like that combo shooting a 1.75 inch group at 100. Got lots of room to play with powder charges yet so I'll work up and see if it gets where it should.

Back