Cheyenne - Model 71 348 article

6mm Remington

Ammo Smith
Feb 27, 2006
Rifle's Handloader magazine has a nice article on the .348 Winchester in a Model 71 Winchester rifle. Thought Cheyenne and some of you other folks would enjoy seeing this one.

David

David,

thank you sir

I do like the 348, and find it works for me, although others may enjoy different lever acton calibers and/or bolt action rifles. I have been told my post yesterday was too "opinionated' , hopefully this edited post is more palatable to everyone

On the other hand I would like to thank David for thinking of me when he read the article and for being willing to mail the magazine to me. Thank you David

I'd enjoy seeing some pictures of the one's that you have. I do not currently own a lever action rifle but think they are pretty cool. I did just enter a drawing for a Henry lever action 45-70. So you are saying there's a chance! Now I just have to win the darn thing.

I was going to respond to your original post Cheyenne but after you edited it, I wanted too wait until I heard from you to do so. I will now respond differently than I initially intended on doing

To the 348/Cheyenne distractors--yes the 35 Whelen would defiantly give her more reach and no I did not feel she was being too opinionated. She likes the 348 and although between the 348, 356, and 358, I would probably choice the 358, the animal will not know the difference between the two, as they are pretty darn close to each other ballistically, trajectory, and recoil.

BUT, she likes the 348, and the Win 71, David knew that and the thread was about the win 71/348.

David thank you for your courtesy and willingness to help another hunter ( regardless of their sex ) by giving Cheyenne and others a heads up, as I think Fotis has a 348 as does Scotty, although they have not checked it, so maybe I am wrong about that.

I might add that I agree with Cheyenne about the 71, it is a fine rifle. I have not handled the BLR in the 348--is it as nice as the old Win ?

There is one huge advantage a lever gun has over most other weapons, and I'm sure Cheyenne and most up North know this..... They can be reloaded and still in battery ready to fire! i.e. A round can still be in the chamber and the action closed ready to fire while loading the gun in case something comes up that a shot is needed quickly.

BTW that's very nice that David is sending you that magazine, thumbs up for going out of the way, and the expense to do that David!

Cheyenne
Keep it up, always enjoy reading your opinions. Tactical reload with a 348, excellent thought, excellent thought and the proper mind set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be nice to have if you were hunting one of the big bears for sure! Not have to be completely out of the action like with a bolt rifle. Good point.

Having owned and shot both the Browning Model 71 in 348 and BLR in 358, the 71 is a much finer firearm and a joy the shoot and the action is much stronger. The detraction is the tubular magazine requiring flat nose bullets and cannot easily mount a scope. The BLR is shorter, lighter and quicker handling, has a detachable magazine so spitzers can be used, and is easy to mount a scope on.while it great handling, it is not as strong or smooth of action. The 358 is easier to find ammo for, as Hornady has stepped up in Winchester's absence. The 348 is getting harder to come by, and thus much pricier. At a gunshow here on the weekend, they were asking $120/box for 348 ammo.

The 358 may have a slight edge in performance due to its ability to use spitzers, but most animals would never know the difference, especially when harvested at open sight ranges typically used by hunters hunting with these rifles.

I still have the BLR. Looking to replace the 71 one of these days.

I regret not having read the original response by Cheyenne and wish she didn't feel the need to pacify some of the idiots here that harass here threw PMs and not on the open forum. A true Coward hiding behind a key board.
If I knew who they were I would buy them a box of Baby pacifiers and send them to them since they haven't been weaned yet.

Having only owned one lever gun a Marlin 336 in 30-30 Win I can't speak of the virtues of the M71 or the BLR but I have always wanted a nice M88 Win and maybe someday I will find one.

Blkram":d5dxkouo said:
Having owned and shot both the Browning Model 71 in 348 and BLR in 358, the 71 is a much finer firearm and a joy the shoot and the action is much stronger. The detraction is the tubular magazine requiring flat nose bullets and cannot easily mount a scope. The BLR is shorter, lighter and quicker handling, has a detachable magazine so spitzers can be used, and is easy to mount a scope on.while it great handling, it is not as strong or smooth of action. The 358 is easier to find ammo for, as Hornady has stepped up in Winchester's absence. The 348 is getting harder to come by, and thus much pricier. At a gunshow here on the weekend, they were asking $120/box for 348 ammo.

The 358 may have a slight edge in performance due to its ability to use spitzers, but most animals would never know the difference, especially when harvested at open sight ranges typically used by hunters hunting with these rifles.

I still have the BLR. Looking to replace the 71 one of these days.

Excellent comparison Gil. Very informative post for those thinking about getting one or the other

As already stated, I too would opt for the 358 and one of the main reasons today is because I need a scope to hunt, if I were hunting still. BUT, if anyone ever gets the opportunity to handle and shoot an original Win 71, you will understand. They not just look good, they feel good and the action is perfect. Cheyenne has her ammo hand loaded and I believe uses the bullet woodleigh makes for the 71.

longrangehunter and rodger also make good points and observations.

For those who were pushing the 35 Whelen, albeit, not in a productive way, let me answer it this way. Yes the 35 whelen is an excellent caliber, can be scoped, gives one more reach and easier to find ammo for. And for the record, not that you deserve my time, but Cheyenne and her husband do have other calibers, that will do the things your speaking of, like a 340 weatherby, 375 H& H, but your right to my knowledge she does not have a 35 Whelen, but if it would shut you up I would buy her one.

I have never shot the 348 but have had the chance to use a BLR in the 358 and in fact have first dibs from a friend it he decides to sell it :wink:.
As far as lever action rifles my very first rifle was a 336C in a 30-30 and I shot my first nice Whitetail buck with it unfortunately I regret that I sold it :(.
I did own a 308 in the BLR for a number of years and sold it to a friend whose daughter took up hunting and I believe she still owns it.
Cheyenne you know that I will support you 100% of the time and truly enjoy your insight on hunting and life as well.
Again I am going to ask you to keep on this site as you have lots to give (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Europe":iuqhxvwp said:
r
, but your right to my knowledge she does not have a 35 Whelen, but if it would shut you up I would buy her one.

Add me to the list of those who would contribute April

Gil, as always, excellent information

As to her having a 340 weatherby. We have one of those also and unless I am mistaken it does in fact shoot further and hit harder than the 35 Whelen. But we each get to choose which rifle and caliber we prefer to use

We played with the lever rifles when we were involved in the Cowboy shooting circuit but we have never used in for hunting. Personally, I would think since there were so few of them manufactured, if I found a good one at a good price I would probably buy it but not use it,

You fellows in brown bear country--Dr Mike, Gil, Hodgeman, Bear78, Gerry---what is your favorite rifle when hunting the big bears ?

truck driver":1qsfhxl9 said:
I regret not having read the original response by Cheyenne and wish she didn't feel the need to pacify some of the idiots here that harass here threw PMs and not on the open forum. A true Coward hiding behind a key board.
If I knew who they were I would buy them a box of Baby pacifiers and send them to them since they haven't been weaned yet.

Having only owned one lever gun a Marlin 336 in 30-30 Win I can't speak of the virtues of the M71 or the BLR but I have always wanted a nice M88 Win and maybe someday I will find one.
That and/or a knot on their head. Only thing they might understand!

6mm Remington":3fh7q8ny said:
truck driver":3fh7q8ny said:

That and/or a knot on their head. Only thing they might understand!

Your Starting to hit a little closer to home! [emoji38]

If She’s Paying For it, which she certainly is, she can buy & shoot whatever the smell she wants.

A .348 would be cool!

As for other makes and models of lever actions, I currently have;

3 Marlins : one in 375 Win, one in 41 Rem Mag and the laminated big loop 30-30
Shot my first big game (whitetail doe) with my grandfather's Marlin 336 in 30-30; so have a soft spot for Marlins! Looking for one in 356 Win and one in 35 Rem for my wife.

2 Winchester Model 88's: one in 284 Win and a customized one in 338 Federal
Have always liked the look and handling of the 88, but their triggers are not great. If looking for one, get one manufactured post '64 (s/n higher than 186000) as they have the best trigger put into the 88. It really comes down to learning where your rifle's trigger breaks, and this only comes with experience with that rifle.
1 Winchester Model '94 Big Bore: in 356 Win
Have had it also in 375 Win and want to replace it.
Shot my second and third big game animals (black bear and then another whitetail doe) with my Dad's '94 in 30-30. So yes, have a soft spot for the '94 as well!

I have not yet owned a Savage Model 99, but would consider the older versions with the brass rotary magazine in 358 Win and 250-3000. Have not even shot one yet! I know a number of people that love their 99's.

Nor have I had a chance to shoot a Sako Finnwolf. Looking forward that one day!

And I have not yet had a chance to shoot a Henry levergun. Will have to play with one someday. I know their rimfires have really slick actions.

The most accurate lever action rifle I have ever played with is DrMike's BLR in 358 Win!
Shot my first whitetail buck with a friend's Dad's BLR in 308 Win. That started me on a quest for a BLR as a young man, that took some years to fulfill.

I'm no expert when it comes to lever action rifles, but as a lefty, found them to be the most user friendly as a young shooter, and have never had that feeling change. Perhaps it is the romance of the old west, John Wayne and the iconic levergun, but I will always own at least one levergun! Or several!!! LOL

The 348 is a proven killer in the North Country, the 71 being the step child of John Brownings
Legendary 1886 it chambers the big 348 cartridges like liquid glass. And it is easy to get a love
Affair going with one, the big lever gun is pure " country " .......
So to stoop down to this 'the whiners' level; and to quote David Allen Coe , (who would lay a raspberry over his eye;in a NY second) If you don't agree with her posts?or her choice of guns?; I would say this. 'if she ain't "country" you can Kiss my as*.' IMG_1037.JPGSo if you don't like it, Mr Whiner, go away ????)

Rogers post = 5 Stars
Europes closing statement= priceless

Well....apparently while I'm in Montana hunting I missed something. Somebody doesn't like the .348???? That's ok, that just means there's one less person in the world trying to talk me out of mine;)

Maybe it's just me but if I was Cheyenne I would post all the threats I received out in the open forum to see the scum squirm. If we have that type of people on this forum we don't need them on this forum. They need to go play in another sandbox (and it literally sounds lie the need a sandbox and children's toys).

Back