28 nosler long range rifle

hunting26

Beginner
Mar 21, 2017
Having trouble getting my 28 nosler longrange rifle to shoot. Shooting 175 ablr and retumbo powder. Seating bullets to max magazine length. Any info would help.

hunting26":12plsdxv said:
Having trouble getting my 28 nosler longrange rifle to shoot. Shooting 175 ablr and retumbo powder. Seating bullets to max magazine length. Any info would help.
Hunting 26,

Try a standard flat based bullet first. Like a Nosler Partition, and see if you get better accuracy first.
If you don't, then it could be the powder and primer combo.
Usually, the flat based bullets will group for you very well.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

I agree start with a more forgiving bullet like a Sierra GameKing or ProHunter in that weight range. If they don’t shoot, nothing will. Just my opinion but Partition isn’t a good “comparison standard” because accuracy and forgiveness on paper is rarely one of its strong points, although prolly the best hunting bullet ever. Seat the bullet deeper into the case, and use very slow powders is what I’ve been told. These ABLR bullets prefer jump for whatever reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tried another bullet? Try the 160 AB. The LRAB can be tricky

Starting at .050 off the lands. Work backwards in .020 increments till the group tightens up. The LRABs I've got to shoot have liked a big jump. My 28 shoots .3moa with RL33 and 175ABLRs at .080 off the lands.
Scott

Attachments

• 28target.png
    28target.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 725
Dumb question, have you tried boxed ammo?
When things don’t make sense, go back to the beginning so you know what you know, and know what you don’t know.
What I’m getting at is: do you know for certain your scope and rings are solid? Do you know your barrel is free floating?
I had my base mount screw loosen up after 15 years and the barrel would touch the stock a little, tightened it back up and back to its normal 0.75”
(Not a Nosler 28, but would love to have any of the Nosler except the 30. Have enough 308 caliber guns.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info i'm going to check all screws and going to try some different bullets. Will get back with the results.

Back