35 Whelen AI Project Coming Home

5shot

Handloader
Jan 13, 2016
I just received an email from Duane Wiebe indicating that my Model 70 Featherweight project should be on its way home some time after Thanksgiving. Can't wait to get my hands on it and get some rounds down range. I have quite a few 250grn jacketed bullets to try out as well as some 300grn cast HPs. I also picked up some RL17, which matches nicely with this cartridge based on QuickLoad.

Once here I'll get my Leupold 1.5-5 and Alaska Arms mounts on. I really like the looks of the setup on the Featherweight. I'll get some pictures up as soon as I have it in hand.

Good show. I am almost as anxious as you sound to see what you have. Love looking at great rifles, and the Model 70 Featherweight is one of my favourites.

DrMike":3v2mvr9a said:
and the Model 70 Featherweight is one of my favourites.

Mine as well. I love the stock design and the checkering they put on them. The wood on them seems to be a bit better than average as well. I had Pac-Nor duplicate the factory contour, so I don't have to do any stock work, thankfully. Some time next year I will send it off to Glenrock Bluing for their Satin Blue, which looks really classy.

Sounds like you have a nice rifle on your hands.
Don't over look the lighter bullets ( 200-225gr ) and CFE223.
The combo has produced to fine accuracy and velocities in my 35W/AI close to 338WIn mag.
Haven't shot anything heavier then 225gr threw mine yet since I don't think I need it.

truck driver":1b7ovcsk said:
Sounds like you have a nice rifle on your hands.
Don't over look the lighter bullets ( 200-225gr ) and CFE223.
The combo has produced to fine accuracy and velocities in my 35W/AI close to 338WIn mag.
Haven't shot anything heavier then 225gr threw mine yet since I don't think I need it.

I'll check that combo out. Thanks.

I'll have it in hand next week. Has been test fired and is getting boxed up now. Can't wait.

Look forward to seeing it. I had a Model 70 Classic sporter built into a 280 AI which I am thrilled with. Can't wait to see some pictures.

FedEx finally dropped off my long awaited package. I did a quick application of Oxpho Blue to keep the rust at bay until I can send it off to Glenrock, and mounted the scope (although I am going to swap out the front ring for an offset so that I can get the front ring behind the front element instead of ahead of it). Had it crowned at 22" to match the original configuration, which makes for a pretty handy rifle. The barreled action dropped right in the factory stock, so no wood work was needed. I do plan to add pillars and re-bed it however.

Time to load up some rounds and see how it shoots. I'll get some full length pics when I am out at the range this weekend.

25034110478_84f50f71da_c.jpg

38905531321_57bd272fb1_c.jpg

38190185974_1229627ac6_c.jpg

38190174844_f88c3d2d05_c.jpg

Wow, that's a beauty. If it shoots as good as it looks you will be a very happy man 8)

gerry":1zkbnv2c said:
Wow, that's a beauty. If it shoots as good as it looks you will be a very happy man 8)

I hope so! I went with a 1:14 twist, as my other is 1:12, and I wanted to shoot more cast (slower twist being a bit more forgiving on the cast slugs and less likely for the bullet to strip the rifling).

I am going to try out some of my 300grn cast slugs, some 250 PTs and some 250 Hot-Cors this weekend.

5shot":1lbsgf0b said:
gerry":1lbsgf0b said:

I hope so! I went with a 1:14 twist, as my other is 1:12, and I wanted to shoot more cast (slower twist being a bit more forgiving on the cast slugs and less likely for the bullet to strip the rifling).

I am going to try out some of my 300grn cast slugs, some 250 PTs and some 250 Hot-Cors this weekend.

I bet it shoots those bullets of yours quite well. A 1 in 14 twist should handle pretty much every 35 cal bullet made, even the 310 gr Woodleigh if you ever get a hankering to try them. Looking forward to a range report :)

I do plan to try the 310 Woodleighs, and the 275PP as well. I did run the stability calculator before going with the 1:14 and I have no reason to believe it won't shoot every bit as good as a 1:12.

Quick question. Was this a rebore or a new barrel install?
If it wasn't lapped I would look to trying some Tubbs final finish fire lap bullets in it before I shot any lead threw it since it will be rough and copper/lead like crazy for a while till it smooths out.
I hate cleaning lead out of a barrel.

It is a new tube...a Pac-Nor match grade. Shouldn't be an issue, as it is hand lapped

Great looking rifle!

I'd be very cautious about tightening down that front ring over the objective lens like that....... decades ago I cracked the front lens on my Leupold VXIII 1.5-5 as soon as I went to tighten it down. Lucky for me, and the wonderful CS @ Leupold they fixed it for FREE, and quickly returned in back to me.

I think I kept the front ring behind the Gold Ring on that scope and it worked fine while doing load testing on my 458 LOTT.

Good luck with her, she's a beauty!

longrangehunter":3fmj20qr said:
Great looking rifle!

I'd be very cautious about tightening down that front ring over the objective lens like that....... decades ago I cracked the front lens on my Leupold VXIII 1.5-5 as soon as I went to tighten it down. Lucky for me, and the wonderful CS @ Leupold they fixed it for FREE, and quickly returned in back to me.

I think I kept the front ring behind the Gold Ring on that scope and it worked fine while doing load testing on my 458 LOTT.

Good luck with her, she's a beauty!

As it sits there, it is actually well in front of the lens. I put a Q-Tip down to the lens, and it sits well behind the Gold Ring. I did end up moving it last night however. I had an offset ring for the front, so I slid the scope as far forward as it would go, and now the ring sits behind the lens. The eye relief is a bit short for me with it all the way forward, and I have to stretch just a little to get a full view at 5X. Not a big issue, as I won't be doing any really quick shooting with it cranked up. At 1.5X you have more than enough.

Back