Savage AccuTrigger design flaw

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Thought I would let all of you know of a design flaw you may not be aware of with the Savage AccuTrigger. I found out when I was aiming at a deer last week and heard a sickening click instead of the boom I was expecting. Thankfully I was still able to get the deer but it easily could have been a lost opportunity.

For the rifle to fire properly you need to have your finger on the lower part of the trigger to pull the release and then the trigger. My problem apparently was that I had my finger too high on the trigger and did not release the lever properly and heard a click when the trigger was pulled. I ejected the shell at the time since I wasn't sure what had happened but all that would have been required was to lift the bolt to re cock the gun. The round fired normally later so it was good.

If you have an AccuTrigger you can probably make it misfire easily if you have your finger high or on the side of the trigger, maybe you can let us know what happened for you if you test it out.

I'm going to get one of these and have found a place here in Canada that stocks them.

https://riflebasix.com/product/savage-1 ... ger-sav-1/

Sometimes you need to fire the gun in an awkward position so I want something that is going to go bang every time. The reviews all seem to say it is a nicer trigger than the stock Savage trigger, sometime in the spring I'll buy one and let you know how it is.

I like Savage and this particular 260 Rem has been very accurate and has now accounted for 12 blacktails and one mulie but it hasn't been perfect. The new trigger and an aftermarket magazine would both make it pretty close to perfect.

Hope this helps.

Hi Gerry,
If you look at Midway's web page you will see they have a Timney replacement trigger for the same price you quoted for the rifle basix and the Timney is a much better trigger with more adjustment. I have had both and prefer the Timney over the rifle basix for any and all applications.

My son has a basix in a savage 243, works fine. 3.5# pull

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

truck driver":238476ul said:
Hi Gerry,
If you look at Midway's web page you will see they have a Timney replacement trigger for the same price you quoted for the rifle basix and the Timney is a much better trigger with more adjustment. I have had both and prefer the Timney over the rifle basix for any and all applications.

If I find one here I could look at it, I would be happy with the Basix though.

I encountered what Gerry did with my 114 7MM mag. I tend to pull the trigger from the right edge. I was not putting my finger across the trigger far enough to depress the lever. I prefer a narrow and smooth trigger and most people seem to prefer a wide and even ribbed one.

Is there anyway you can disable the trigger bar to keep it from causing a miss fire?
I think there has to be away to eliminate it.

truck driver":2tfambv1 said:
Is there anyway you can disable the trigger bar to keep it from causing a miss fire?
I think there has to be away to eliminate it.
Yep. Many people just remove the blade assembly. The trigger will still work fine.
I'm sure that there are plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it.

Back