125 Years of excellent service.

HomerOz

Handloader
Sep 13, 2012
G'Day Fella's,

I was having a play with some of my J.M. Browning designed firearms, the other day (on the anniversary of Mr J.M.Browning's passing, November 26).
As I was handing my 1892 Lever Action, I got to thinking and then doing the sums....... and came to the conclusion, that 2017, minus 125 = 1892!
Apparently, by the end of it's original manufacturing run by Winchester (in19??), just over 1,000,000 1892's were produced (aren't we lucky).
All Praise the planets most proficient firearms designer, for one of his best designs..... please.

I have two 1892's, my Grandfathers Winchester, "New Daisy Rifle" in .25-20 and a recently made (by Miroku), in .45 Colt

Here's a couple of images of my 92, in .45 Colt
1892 .45 Colt 012.JPG
Win 1892, .45 Colt & Trijicon RMR R-Dot sight.JPG

I hope a heap of you good souls, have an image or two, and or a story to add to this thread.

Regards
Homer

No story to add, but acknowledgement that the 1892 is a fine rifle. Chambered in .45 Colt, it would be a delight to handle and shoot. Never personally shot that particular cartridge in a rifle, however.

Maybe it's just me but there's just something romantic about lever guns....except that holographic sight. You're killing me Homer!!!:))

G'Day Fella's,

Than You Dr Mike and Lefty315.

Dr Mike, the original 92's were never chambered in .45 Colt but this later version of mine, addressed that.

Lefty315, I totally agree with you on the romantic association, we have with Lever Actions.
Sorry about the holographic sight (Trijicon RMR), but wait to you hit 60, and I'm sure you will understand, why I did this to such a sacrilegious act to an iconic rifle.

Here is a Wikipedia link on Mr Browning, that I hope you blokes enjoy reading.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Browning

Doh!
Homer

I had the blessing to fire a very vintage 92 in .38-40 with very vintage ammunition. The rifle was manufactured in 1900, and was the retirement gift to the ancestor of my friend's neighbor in the North Woods who did something with the logging business. It was inscribed with a timber companies name (forgot the name), his name, and xx years of service inlaid in gold. This had been no safe queen, showed years of use but not abuse. The action was slick as marbles, and it came with an old Lyman nutcracker reloader, some brass, bullets, a mold, and a very old can of unique. Had a Sears receipt in the box from 1920s, as well as a few faded pictures of 2 previous owners with the rifle, deer, bears, moose, wolves and just hanging with some shady looking characters in fancy dress. The ammo was presumably 1920's also, as to anybody's recollection the early 1930s was the last time it had been used. The current owner favored his Model 8 in .35 rem, and got a sour look at the mention of the name "Winchester". Something to do with a Winchester "automatic" he owned before the M8. I had the chance to buy the whole works, but couldn't swing the spare cash before the old man passed. His rotten grandkids got ahold of it and pawned the rifle.

Homer, that looks to be in really great shape, congratulations, on a beautiful heirloom as well as a piece of history.

Back