338 barrel length?

dkmlever

Beginner
Oct 27, 2006
I am going to have my 338 win mag rebarreled. Currently it is 22 inches long - total length - but it has a 2 inch screw off brake with a protective cap, so effective barrel is 20 inches.
I no longer want a brake and am thinking 24 inches, you thoughts on what length is best for this caliber please.

Barrel length is almost a matter of preference. Are you using this rifle in thick bush? If so, then a shorter barrel may be preferred. If you're hunting open areas that may require a longish shot, then you may opt for a longer barrel. My personal preference would be almost anything from 22 to 24 inches.

I really do like shorter barrels - 20" is about perfect IMO, but I do run some longer barrels. A lot of people will lament on how you lose so much performance with a short barrel, but it hardly makes a difference if that is the barrel length you want. I don't buy into going with a smaller cartridge and a long barrel for the same performance as a short barrelled mag, if what you really need is short and handy.

I think a 24" barrel will bring out the most performance and still be fairly reasonable to handle in most hunting situations.

JD338

mjcmichigan":2f6rogky said:
+1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have a 20” bull barrel 223 that makes pretty cloverleaf prints, and a 26”. The heavy 26 is no fun to carry.
Have a 26” 300wm, sporter contour, it’s fine, a 22” 3006.
Easy t carry and Wales anything in North America just fine.
Bottom line, you can have more than one. Pick Guns you will use.

Mine has a factory magnum 24" barrel and to be honest I don't think I would want anything short.
The muzzle blast would be horrendous for me and cause me to flinch more so than the recoil. I understand yours has a brake on it now so noise isn't a problem for you. The 338 has a lot of case capacity and with slower burning powder you will see a lot more muzzle flash with a short barrel than the longer barrel during twilight hours and could effect your shooting since you could be blinded by the flash for a short period after discharging a round. If your worried about weight 2-4" of barrel won't make a difference but will change the way it balances and points.
As far as hunting in thick cover 24" won't be a hindrance unless you carry it slung on your shoulder so it catches low limbs.

I find, as a Tall man, longer barrels just feel and swing better for me. I grew up hunting small game in very thick woods with long barreled shotguns, so even a 24" barrel feels "short" by comparison. I have used several rifles through the years with 26" barrels plus a 2" brake with no problems 'except" getting in and out of a vehicle or box stand. But it was no big deal. I have had more misses with short barreled , butt heavy, "whippy feeling" rifles. But that's just me. Go handle/swing some and see what feels good to you, preferably ones with scopes on them too. I have seen marlin 336 30-30s with big honking scopes ont hem used by tree stand hunters in SE Texas. Several killed deer out to 300yds easily with them. But carrying that thing in the pucker brush? Nope.

I've never thought a 24 to 26" barrel was too much worry when hunting. Granted, if the task was to swim through thick brush all day then just about any rifle is going to snag. For me a 30-30 carbine with iron sights is perfect for the thick brush all day scenario and for a walk-about rifle I've hunted with anything from 22 to 26".

I'd let the cartridge dictate the barrel length. For me a .338 WM would have 24".

My old Model 700 338 Win Mag had the 24" barrel and worked very well, and ai carried it varied terrain from open fields to mountain hunting to thick brush for bears (blk and griz), elk, moose and bison.

Should work well for you too!

My CDL has a 24" and it does give a little bit better performance in my 270win, I also have a 24" barrel on 35 Whelen and actually a 26" barrel on my 280AI. I prefer 24" or 26" barrel on the rifles that I shoot.

Blessings,
Dan

Being vertically challenged at 5'09" I kinda regret going to 26" on the 338 Jarrett. If I have it slung, it's on my off shoulder muzzle down. 8" of snow and it's dragging. If the damn thing didn't shoot so well I'd take a hacksaw to it. Next rifle I build for hunting will be less than 24 for certain.

Mine's a 25" barrel on my Alaskan. I am a little taller than average and have never found the barrel to get caught on stuff while bailing through the bush.. 24" or 26" would be fine as well.

salmonchaser":23tkfrfd said:
Being vertically challenged at 5'09" I kinda regret going to 26" on the 338 Jarrett. If I have it slung, it's on my off shoulder muzzle down. 8" of snow and it's dragging. If the damn thing didn't shoot so well I'd take a hacksaw to it. Next rifle I build for hunting will be less than 24 for certain.

Hmmm vertically challenged :grin: have you considered a set of wheels on that cannon so you don't wear the finish off the barrel :)>)
Yeah I'm pulling your leg :lol:

G'Day Fella's,

Dkmlever, my .338Win Mag (Rem M700), has a 24" barrel.
If I was constantly hunting in really thick scrub/bush, a shorter barrel may be more user friendly but with the 24" barrel, it lets you make the most of this (and many other) cartridge.

FYI, I was handling a Winchester M70 in .338 Win Mag with a 26" barrel the other day, and it was just way to long for me (for a walk around stalking rifle).
So you can go to far, in the other direction as well.

Hope that helps

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

I chopped mine from 24" to 22.5" and don't regret it at all. But then, I've also never taken it afield or shot it without hearing protection...

I am with JD and Roger on this one, if your going to the trouble on having a big magnum rifle,
About the last thing your going to want to do is give away the small edge it has burning all that
Extra powder by taking 3/4" off the barrel, (though I realize; how much nicer a short barrel is for
Handiness ) to be frank a 20" .338 is likely going to show less velocity thru the Chronograph shooting
250gr bullets with factory ammo , than a 35 Whelen( Burning RL 15 ) shooting the same bullet , if the Whelen is out of of a 24" tube. I say this from experience. A kid that guides for us kept at me for years to sell him my M70 Super Grade in 338 I had in Alaska, I did and he imeadiatly sent it out and had a fancy brake put
On it, he had them cut it to 20" . With factory Federal Premium ammo it avg around 2750 with the factory
26" barrel, same ammo with cut barrel struggled to brake 2500fps........
That's over 100 fps LESS than my Whelen ??? The .338 is a wonderful caliber but once you cut it your losing
Most of what you gained ........
Now I realize someone will jump up and claim he cut 7" off his and it was only 11 fps slower than before, and he has a Hemi in his truck that gets 27 mpg uphill; towing a 12,000 lb 5th Wheel !
Bottom line: IF I was buying a .338 WM it would definitely wear a 26" barrel to get all the goodness
there is in it! If I needed to go into tight places and wanted a " short barreled " gun , I would step away from .338 caliber and go up in diameter and down in velocity , then cutting it wouldn't hurt 1/2
As bad! My boss had a Ruger 77 in .458 with barrel whacked off to 20" it worked great on Brown Bears, I used it a half dozen times on BIG ones that were wounded and had to go into the Alders after them. If your were using the short barreled gun for Elk hunting in thick Black Timber, I still op
For big and slow and likely just show up with a 45/70 with stout loads over a good bullet.
So for me the .338 is really only a "magnum" when it has barrel enough to burn all that powder!
( Gosh I hope this doesn't start WW III on here )

Can't imagine that an honest opinion would start a major war, E. Good points, though undoubtedly some will want to hold to their own ideas.

Back