35 Whelen Remington 7600 Carbine

rjm158

Handloader
Oct 15, 2009
Grice Wholesale is offering a special run of Synthetic Remington Model 7600's in a carbine configuration. It doesn't say it in the catalog but I presume it will be the 18 1/2 inch barrel they put on their previous 7400/7600 carbine models.

For the discriminating Whelen owner! :lol:

Ron

A buddy had a 7600 in .35 Whelen, absolute tack driver. We don't think of pumps and semi-autos as being sub inch shooters but they are out there.

Lefty, I had one in 35 Whelen as well and currently have one in 280 Remington. My oldest stepson fell in love with the Whelen caliber and had to have the pump so he owns it now.

You are very correct that they will shoot far better than most people give them credit for.

Ron

If I had the need for a short fast handling carbine the 7600 pump would be my choice over a lever action and the 35Whelen would be the cartridge of choice with 250gr PT for close quarter work .

It's a natural choice for anyone who does a lot of shooting with an 870 shotgun.

Can the triggers be good? The only one I shot, in 30-06 of course, didn't have such a great trigger, but it was accurate.

Don't see man of them around here in Washington. I think that would make a dandy elk rifle!

Guy

Guy Miner":1u6fbpmw said:
It's a natural choice for anyone who does a lot of shooting with an 870 shotgun.

Can the triggers be good? The only one I shot, in 30-06 of course, didn't have such a great trigger, but it was accurate.

Don't see man of them around here in Washington. I think that would make a dandy elk rifle!

Guy

Timney makes a good spring kit for them. They aren’t Shilens or Jewels but they are way better and serviceable.

I can almost hear the crashes and clatters as 35 Whelen owners dive for there check books.... :) sounds like a fun rifle. WAY more than the 870. :) CL

I have a pump 35 Whelen and it is a great rifle. I shoot 250 Hot Cors in mine. The barrel is very short and I get speeds of 2300 fps but in the deer woods that is all that is needed. I've had it 3 years and still have not shot a deer with it. Maybe next year.

Bill Springfield does trigger work and turned mine into a nice crisp trigger with a quick turn around time.

I have a 760 358 Win which I purchased new as a 35 Rem.back in the 80's. Had it re chambered in 1990 to its current caliber. Currently shooting 220gr Speer HC's at 2475 fps. Its a deer killing machine. Also have 7600's in 25-06 and 257 Roberts All are excellent shooters. I have done the spring kits on all of them and triggers are much better than OEM.

That would make for some serious horse power in a fast handling rifle for almost anything you would want to hunt in the thick stuff. Just about perfect for deer, bear, elk and moose.

JD338

I have a 760 that was rechambered by a previous owner and a 7600 that I couldn't pass up. Love the whelen in a pump gun. Great for Elk in the timber of western Or.

Back