Upside down....??running out of room

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
So....not that I have a lot of rifles, but there is never enough room in the safe...right... :cry: :) . My rule has always been if there isn't enough room in the safe I have to get rid of something (I hate that rule...but it helps me sleep nights) However, I have been unsuccessful in selling a couple of things and in the past year I have brought home Mom's rifle, Dads rifle and my Grandfathers .22. Eventually, I will sell them or pass them along in the family. Just not ready to do that yet. So to the point.... I am out of space. Currently two are just propped up, upside down, in the safe to have enough room. Another or a larger safe is just not an option.
I have looked at the "gun rods" concept and that might work, actually probably not, there isn't really enough floor space in the safe to make that work well either. Ideas.... thoughts....photos? Thanks CL

I remove the bolts from my rifles, and it saves a lot of space. They go on a shelf in the safe for storage. However, you DO have to remember to take the bolt along when you remove the rifle for shooting or hunting.

Dr. Vette":39zbmoi7 said:
I remove the bolts from my rifles, and it saves a lot of space. They go on a shelf in the safe for storage. However, you DO have to remember to take the bolt along when you remove the rifle for shooting or hunting.

Ha! Sounds like maybe a bolt didn't make it on a trip with the rifle at some point?

I went fly fishing once, drove about 70 miles to an awesome stream... Fly rod, yup. Flies, yup. Reel? Reel? What reel? :grin: Fortunately my fishing buddy is a walking fly shop and had another reel I could borrow for the day. That was pretty funny.

Cloverleaf - ya - some of us just seem to accumulate firearms. It's a burden that we must bear.

With a grin. Sorry, no clever solution for your problem.

Guy

Alarm the house and hope for the best. Large gun collections are hard to confine in a safe.

And ..... while the "remove the bolt" idea is a good one, I drove from NY to PA for opening day of the whitetail season only to realize that my LH bolt was still in the gun cabinet. Fortunately, I also had a S&W 29 so I didn't have to drive home on opening morning with a dumb expression on my face. LOL

Dr Vette- that is a good idea! And I am sure I will have Charlies luck with "keeping it all together". Guy- its only a burden if you end up with a "safe ding" :cry: Its a long cold winter coming in. My days at the range are done for a while. I'll figure something out....some cold sunday afternoon...CL

FOTIS":2u0eig2h said:
No safe dings. All rifle are in gun socks

Yup- havent had to worry about that till now.... I sent my letter to Santa .....CL

I am constantly thinning the herd, hopefully I can get rid of 3 this winter. Net reduction in the last two years has been + 2, I have to do better.

Yep, we added another safe to the house, and guess what...it is almost full too!

Have two empty slots in each safe, but they best be open sighted rifles to fit in the one (Model 71 in 348 and Model 65 in 218 Bee???) The other is destined for a Ruger No.1 RSI and the Sako 85 LH in 9.3x62. Alas, where to put the Low wall in 225 Win? Or the '94 Big Bore in 375 Win?

Gun socks definitely help

I feel your pain!

Back