Caring for "vintage" slings and leather items...?

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
So I currently have two rifles with slings on them that do not detach. They are old military style slings and are at least 50 years old. There are not obvious signs of cracking etc. and I probablty wont be "using" them myself but would like to keep them useful and in good condition if I can. I have uswed my share of saddle soap and/or Mink oil/silicone on other things. Is that appropriate for slings? I haven't bought any Balistol yet but that might be an option. Other ideas? Also, how do you deal with the green oxidation around the brass hooks and fittings on these slings? Thanks CL

Obenaufs or Peckards. As far as the green Verdigris, just clean it off with a toothpick or similar.

Get yourself a can of " neatsfoot" oil, pretty hard to beat it on leather , I keep it in a spray bottle and its easy to give your boots a quick lick, gloves, belts, slings etc. Wouldnt be without it. They sell it at feed stores cheapest.
Good Luck
E

There's a product I used this past two years based on the number of firefights using it, (smoke jumpers), OBENAUF'S Heavy Duty LP (Leather Preservative) it's made in Idaho from a natural ingredient Propolis, a tree resin used by honeybees to weather proof and disinfect their hives. It resists mildew, mold and bacteria, which attacks leather.

I have used Chamois oil on two pair of Russell Boots they sent along with the boots they made for me. It says it contains Neatsfoot & other natural oils. I think they said never use silicone though?

I have used another European brand for years as well but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it?

Obenaufs is what I use. Kenetreks brand seems like about the same to me as well.

I've used Snow Seal in the past and it worked great, I now have Obenaufs and it too works good. Both are bees wax products. I was told years ago not to use organic oils like mink and neatsfoot because they break down leather. They do remove oils from leather to preserve it when it is tanned. Why add it back? I've never really investigated to validate that thought.

Bruce Mc":2kt57yqo said:
I've used Snow Seal in the past and it worked great, I now have Obenaufs and it too works good. Both are bees wax products. I was told years ago not to use organic oils like mink and neatsfoot because they break down leather. They do remove oils from leather to preserve it when it is tanned. Why add it back? I've never really investigated to validate that thought.

I gotta go along with the thought about "organic oils". My experience has been that eventually Mink oil softens leather and I'm not sure that what I want for a sling. Hence my question.
I wish Dad or Grandpa were still around. Softened harness leather wasn't any good either, I'm thinkin', wish I could remember what they used...probably saddle soap. Guess you can tell I didn't use it enough... :) :) Thanks for the replies. CL

cloverleaf":1miz0pd6 said:
I gotta go along with the thought about "organic oils". My experience has been that eventually Mink oil softens leather and I'm not sure that what I want for a sling. Hence my question.
I wish Dad or Grandpa were still around. Softened harness leather wasn't any good either, I'm thinkin', wish I could remember what they used...probably saddle soap. Guess you can tell I didn't use it enough... :) :) Thanks for the replies. CL

Mink oil is garbage, but the use of 100% Neatsfoot Oil (NOT Compound) has been used on saddles and tack for centuries. It will not harm the leather when used sparingly.

I used to collect wwii items and I talked with a few museums to see what they used. Most of them told me not to use neats foot oil and instead use peckards. It is good stuff. Try to keep it off the brass or it will turn green.

Neatsfoot oil will hurt the leather if you use too much. It also can make it real soft. The only sling I had break was one I used neatsfoot on. I am not saying that neatfoot was the sole reason it broke.

If you call peckards they will tell you everything you need to know about taking care of your leather.

You can use an old toothbrush to get the green stuff off or if you are real careful a rifle bore brush (nylon).

I hope this helps.

Back