Winchester model 88

thatguySHM

Beginner
Feb 11, 2017
So my father gave me my grandfather's Winchester 88 in 308 for Christmas this year. My grandfather passed last year, and it means a lot to me. My father said he would probably take it out and shoot it once or twice a year but knew I would take it out hunting so it was a no brainier. My great grandfather took a moose with it in 78 or 80 with it, before I was born, so I hope to take my deer with it at the very least next year.

It has a Redfield 2.75 fixed on top with a duplex reticle, which I will shoot to make sure it still works properly, and if it does hold it's zero, attempt to use next season.

I've cleaned it up, he had used grease on it and it had been pretty gummed up, now slides right along. What do I need to do to maintain this rifle, are there any tricks to loading for it?

Thanks everyone

SHM

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Congratulations, what a great gift. I don't know too much about the 88. Being a south paw I'm surprised I never owned one.
That being said my ex's dad and brother both had them and I reloaded for both of them for a couple of years. I ran into two issues; cartridge overall length and resizing as I recall. My handloads chambered but were noticeably tighter then factory ammo. I no longer have those records as my experience dates back to the same time period as your Grampa taking the moose.
Good luck and have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a truly thoughtful gift. The 88 was not known for exceptional accuracy, but that doesn't mean they can't shoot well. You should have no difficulty finding an acceptable load for your .308. This is especially true if you are willing to work with MOA accuracy from your loads. It sounds as if you have already taken care of the first requirement, which is to clean up the rifle so that it works smoothly. Again, congratulations, that is a great and thoughtful gift.

Only thing I've noticed so far is the extreme disadvantage I feel I'm at with it. I have a pile of 308 rounds I've loaded with 44.5gr RL15 and a 168 BTHP, but with a mechanical close on the bolt, I can't feel how they chamber. It's definitely going to take some getting used to. I'm going to start with some new brass and mid level loads from a 168 Amax and then get some measurements from the fired case to make sure my other reloads will chamber with proper clearance.

I did years ago stumble across an old box of ammo my grandfather had loaded, still in the military 20 round cardboard box that I kept around, and will probably pull one apart to get a rough idea of what he was using. I have always collected older reloading manuals so I will start with a manual covering the years the LC brass was made and go from there.

I have a Burris Timberline compact scope that would be perfect on it, going to see what I can do with the Redfield first. Very excited to get it to the range though.

SHM

My father's brother-in-law had one and he really liked it. I do not believe he handloaded for it though so I'm no help there. He did kill a few elk with that little 308 though. Good luck on your loading.

As another lefty, the Wiinchester Model 88 has always been one of those rifles of interest to me, and I have owned several over the years; mostly in 308, of which I only used factory 180 gr loads and never handloaded for.

I now have 2 88's; a 284 Win and a customized 338 Federal of which I need to develop loads for. The 338 is shooting the Federal factory 210 gr Partition load acceptably well. Would like to rebarrel another to 7mm-08 with a full length stock, like the ones that gunwriter John Wooters did years ago.

Triggers on the Model 88's are not good, with those on the earlier version being the worst for creep and overtravel. Rifles built after 1964 (checkering replaced by pressed baasket weave design) had better triggers, and those after 1968 were improved again, but still not great. You can search years of manufacture by the serial #'s. I have found that with enough practice at the range you will learn exactly where that trigger will break, and is usually noticeable enough to feel through light gloves. This will help improve group sizes (or at least did for me).

Model 88's were notorious for stocks cracking in the wrist. Ensure that your action bolts are kept torqued to spec; this will eliminate the action loosening in the stock under recoil (which can be stiff with 180 gr loads in the 308) that will result in the back of the action hammering the stock and causing the aforementioned cracking.

Depending in cartridge chambering, your handloads may be restricted to the magazine length and restrict some bullets from getting very close to the lands. Use the modified case and gauge from Hornady to determine that for your paricular rifle. If you look for spare magazines, ensure that you get the Model 88 and not the Model 100, and specific for the 308, as they are different for the other cartridges. Cartridge is stamped on the end, while model number is one the follower.

As mentioned above, these rifles are not known for their pinpoint accuracy, but are usually accurate enough for hunting accuracy. You will have to judge this for yourself. While mine hover close to the MOA mark to 2 MOA, they will put the bullets on target at various ranges out to 300 yards consistently within 2 inches of point of aim, when I do my part, and this will cleanly harvest the animals I intend to hunt with my 88's.

Enjoy your new to you rifle and may you and the rifle share many adventures and build memories that you xan share with your children or grandchildren!

Congratulations on getting a classic rifle. Load it up with a 165 gr BT and a mid range load of IMR4350, RL15,
or Varget and you should be where you want to be.

JD338

I believe when my father told me about the rifle and I expressed interest in it, I loaded up some 150 NBTs and AR Comp. He forgot to bring those with him but I can always load them up again.

Blkram, I have plenty of experience loading the a 338 Federal if you ever decide to jump on that bandwagon, I think it is one of the best cartridges out there and own two.

My grandpa loads 760 with various 165gr choices in 3 model 88s we have but have had really good accuracy from all 3. Sub moa.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've got some 165 soft points en route. Went with a flatbase and a BT just to see which it will prefer. Will be trying AR Comp first as I have plenty on hand, then will probably try RL15/4064 after if needed. CFE is always an option, but prefer a lower pressure powder.

Back