Tikka T3X CTR 260

bob_dobalina

Handloader
Oct 6, 2009
Ok I have the bug now. I think a Tikka T3X CTR in 260 REM is my next gun - I want to build a long range gun, I have never had anything but rifles setup for hunting. I'm just learning about it - it's offered in a 20" and 24" barrel. There's a a lot of people out there that tout the 20", but to me it seems that may be because that is what they bought since the 24" wasn't initially offered. Is there any reason I would want to give up the velocity of the 24" over the 20"? Anyone have experience with this gun? Thanks

Not those, but short barrels, can vibrate less, so what you loose in velocity, you might improve in accuracy. Barrel quality rules. Make sure you go with the barrel best suited to your type of shooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point. I have to check but the shorter may be a heavier barrel too, which would be nice

My $0.02...

I prefer short barrels, typically more forgiving with and easier to find accuracy you want. They are far friendlier in most hunting situations and lighter to tote around.

For a long range gun- you're talking about dialing for drop anyway so MV really doesn't matter much at all and most LR bullets expand at pretty low impact speed these days.

A buddy of mine has a couple of CTRs...very nice rifles, particularly in a chassis. For a dedicated LR gun that I wasn't hunting with, I likely take the 24" unless I got a screaming deal for a 20".

Nice gun and wonderful caliber, if your going long .264 is the place to be, So many Ultra High
BC bullets avaliable it's amazing. I have a T3 in 6.5 x 55 that is our long range gun, I remove the
lightweight plastic stock, and have Boyds Laminated bench rest stock that goes on our T3, then I remove My standard 3/9 hunting scope, and replace it with a 6/24x Tactical turret FFP scope,(Athlon Helos is optically right there with most of the big names for half price 8) ) And your on your way, to a
1000 yards! Have fun. Great choice! (y)

I’ve got about a half-dozen buddies.... and a beautiful wife... who all shoot 20” Tikka CTR .260s.

For under $1000, there’s not a rifle out there that comes close to the CTR.

I MUCH prefer the 20” barrel... but I also shoot suppressed a lot.

They make the CTR in Creedmoor too.... if you’re into man-buns and skinny jeans.

Songdog":296o34y0 said:
I’ve got about a half-dozen buddies.... and a beautiful wife... who all shoot 20” Tikka CTR .260s.

For under $1000, there’s not a rifle out there that comes close to the CTR.

I MUCH prefer the 20” barrel... but I also shoot suppressed a lot.

They make the CTR in Creedmoor too.... if you’re into man-buns and skinny jeans.

Haha - No, I'm into reloading I'll take the 260!

I won't shoot suppressed and have to admit I don't really get the 20" barrel but have an open mind about it, and it would be a neat little package. I'd probably take whatever I got the best deal on.

I’ve never once wished the barrel was longer.... especially while hunting it.

You may see a small difference on the chronograph... but I’ve never seen the difference in the field when it comes to hitting and missing.

Songdog":25bco2at said:

OUCH! That hurt from here...LOL.

Back