Zastava M70 mauser Rifle?

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
So I’ve been looking at getting me a dedicated hunting rig for next season. The heavy barrel Howa is well just heavy lol. And my 9.3 mauser only has iron sights for a timber gun. I’ve been eyeing these for awhile and you can get them for a steal. It’s pretty much the inter arms mark X mauser action, which seems to be well regarded. They say the machine work is very good and great blueing. The weak point is apparently the stock are crudely finished and checkered. Which that doesn’t bother me a bit. Actions seem to be a little rough, but smooth out with time. Seems the barrels are of a good quality too. I could by a TC venture or ruger American for a little less. I have owned and shot those rifles and they shoot great, but I really like the more traditional rifles myself. Been looking at the 30/06 with iron sights for around $400-$500. Seems like a good 2.5x8 Leupold with Warne QD rings would make a fine hunting rifle. Any of you folks have any experience with these? After doing so much work on my 98 mauser in 9.3x62 I feel pretty comfortable doing work on them also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At $400-500, these are a good deal. As you mentioned, the actions are a little rough and the stock is practically lumber grade.

That said- these are generally usable "as-is" and while a $350 Ruger American can be a fine shooter, it is what it is and isn't going to be anything else regardless of how much money you throw at it.

However, the Zastava makes a great base for a custom rig and these actions respond to a little gunsmithing very well and can be slicked up really nicely. That and a few hundred bucks into a good grade stock yields a rifle that is greater than the sum of its parts. Several folks are using these to build some fantastic traditional bolt actions on.

For that money, it'd be hard to go wrong.

Wouldn't try and talk you out of any rifle , however, if I had the $ I would give really serious consideration to the TC venture. Only on the basis of one article in a gun rag I read years back. That rifle shot sub inch groups with something like six different loads. You cant get that out of a custom rifle. Maybe a fluke...? but for a hunting rifle that inspires confidence! Your scope choice sounds perfect to me. I do prefer the feel of "lumber" on my rifles though, a point for the Zastava... No help at all am I... :) CL

cloverleaf":2noepv3i said:
Wouldn't try and talk you out of any rifle , however, if I had the $ I would give really serious consideration to the TC venture. Only on the basis of one article in a gun rag I read years back. That rifle shot sub inch groups with something like six different loads. You cant get that out of a custom rifle. Maybe a fluke...? but for a hunting rifle that inspires confidence! Your scope choice sounds perfect to me. I do prefer the feel of "lumber" on my rifles though, a point for the Zastava... No help at all am I... :) CL
Absolutely nothing wrong with the venture. My little sister has one in 243. I believe it is a compact model. That thing will shoot 100 grain power point factory loads around 3/4” all day long. Also has a great trigger. Just don’t care too much for the looks, but the price and accuracy are great.

35 Whelen":8k74y62e said:
For what ever it's worth the T/C Compass that is on sale right now for $299 with a $75 rebate ontop of the sale price brings you down to $225, that is unquestionably the Best Buy out there for 2017, mine out of the box was right at MOA with cheap
$9.00 a box ammo. I have a Venture as well but I think I kinda like the Compass better! Stock on the
Venture has rubber inserts that is nice, but at nearly double this sale price, of the Compass eh ' nadda' I don't know anything about The gun your are thinking about, so can't compare em. But these new Compass rifles, at $225 final price, are unrivaled for bang for buck; as far as we know. I just sold two 6.5 Creedmores last week and need to order a 7/08 and a 22/250 tomorrow for guides,before the rebate expires end of this month! Good clip system, great trigger after a 5 min mod,Thompson's super nice 5 grove barrel, that is draw Up to the reciever, with about blueprinted percision.( Same one that's on a Venture) The barrel end is already threaded, for a suppressor. And the famous Model 70, three position safety ! (y) I mean what's NOT to like about these little guns??.......especially the price ! My first new bolt action was a Ruger M77 in 1973, they cost $189 back then???? It would not shoot with this little Compass, not even close. And at that time guides made $20 per day, so that gun cost me 9 1/2 days work to purchase, However todays, guides wages here avg $300 per day, so at $ 225 for the Compass after rebate it's not even one days work!!!! [emoji47] Guns have NEVER been
cheaper in my lifetime than they are right now, in comparison to wages. I would be shocked if that gun your condemplating is worth 'double' what a Compass is ??? It most certainly WONT shoot twice
as good ???? Hey it's your call, but just wondering if you had even considered them??View attachment 2View attachment 1
While I’ve never messed with the compass I do like the ventures. And your right that compass is a lot of gun for the money!

hodgeman":2a8lnb0f said:
At $400-500, these are a good deal. As you mentioned, the actions are a little rough and the stock is practically lumber grade.

That said- these are generally usable "as-is" and while a $350 Ruger American can be a fine shooter, it is what it is and isn't going to be anything else regardless of how much money you throw at it.

However, the Zastava makes a great base for a custom rig and these actions respond to a little gunsmithing very well and can be slicked up really nicely. That and a few hundred bucks into a good grade stock yields a rifle that is greater than the sum of its parts. Several folks are using these to build some fantastic traditional bolt actions on.

For that money, it'd be hard to go wrong.
That Zastava would make a great base for a custom build. I’ve seen some photos, and they really clean up nice!

I have a Zastava cz99 22LR rifle. It might have the nicest deepest bluing of any rifle I own. Once I figured out its feeding issues. It's a real good shooter. I tung oiled the stock some and tuned the trigger.

I've handled the Zastava 70 at Cabela's. The stock is basic as noted, easily refinished like mine or replaced with nearly any Mauser stock. If you can't tune the trigger to your liking, good triggers for Mausers are affordable. I reworked a sporterized Mauser last winter and really like it. Hard to go wrong with a Mauser action rifle.

I own a modern bargain rifle, Rem 783, and there's no arguing that it is an accurate hunting tool. But it has no character, history, or build options that the Mauser has. You really can't go wrong either way, but you can see where I'd spend your money. Let us know what you end up with.

The stocks are a bit of a lucky draw. LGS was carrying these for awhile. LA, SA and "mini" and I saw everything from "lumber" to some pretty fine walnut with some figure and well finished. Think it depends on who's slapping on oil that day and what wood comes off the machine.

I found the actions comparable to a military mauser. Should be rock solid reliable, may need some tuning to be as refined as you like. Triggers are also similar to 2 stage military. Fully functional for a hunting rifle if you get used to it, could use some tuning to compare to a fine commercial trigger.

I'd go for it vs. one of the other rifles at the same price point. You could put a lot more money into a custom mauser 98 and come up with the same result. The 98 has been around forever and custom options are limitless. The current crop of bargain guns will not be able to say this in 112 years.

Thanks guys. I have not decided what to do yet. I’ve never ordered a rifle off of gunbroker either though, so I’m in the decision mode lol.

Back