Chilly day at the range today

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
With beautiful clear skies and a temp that ranged from 19 - 25 degrees, it seemed like a perfect day to go shoot rifles!

I really dislike the "scope shuffle" but I had loaned my wonderful 6x (42mm) to a new hunter for the season. Today was the day the 30-30, 30-06 and 25-06 were all to get sighted-in again!

I really didn't shoot the 30-30 much. Just a couple of shots at 25 yards. It's ok there and a couple weeks ago I verified it in the field as just a little high and left at 100. So, I'll fine tune the Williams sight some other day.
Bt7k5ncl.jpg

After a few shots to get on paper, I went prone with the 30-06 and 25-06, shooting them at 100, 200 and 300 yards. In retrospect, I need to drop the elevation a bit on the 25-06, she's shooting pretty high at 200 yards. Too much. But otherwise all is well.
ZAv8Ea7l.jpg

And I'm really pleased with how the BFG's are doing in the snow!
0YXxqCdl.jpg

Guy

It's in our blood. I sat with Sue tonight in hopes that she could fill her second buck tag in the late archery season. It's a balmy 19 here. Doing barn chores and feeding the horses. I did get the new Savage 93G 22 Magnum zeroed in this afternoon though. Mounted an old Leupold M8 4x.
Yes, love hunting and shooting, regardless of the temperature.

JD338

Went out today with a buddy... 14F and the wind was blowing up to 20mph! BRRRRR.

We ran a load ladder on his 6.5... 40gr of RL15 was the magic number for the 100gr PT. I did some shooting with my Scout, no itty bitty groups but a lot of field position practice. I think the 6x42 is perfect for that rifle.

The days are short- we gotta make the most of the limited daylight!

Glad you got out! I was wondering how our Alaskan & Canadian Nosler Reloading folks are doing.

I tell ya, I miss Alaska! Going back next September. Fly rod in hand! :)

Love the 6x42 Leupold. So glad it's back in my hands and on the 25-06 where it belongs!

Guy

Guy Miner":pqcv25qr said:
I tell ya, I miss Alaska! Going back next September. Fly rod in hand! :)

Love the 6x42 Leupold. So glad it's back in my hands and on the 25-06 where it belongs!

Guy

Guy- let me know when you're coming up, I've got a couple good spots on the Gulkana for Kings if the timing is right!

Thanks!

This is another trip with Dad. He'll be 91, and I want to make sure I'm there with him on the trip and while fishing. We'll be returning to the same lodge where we've fished for 20 years or so. About 90 miles from Cordova on the Tsiu River for silvers. He's comfortable there.

Guy

Whew looks pretty cold up there Guy! I have not even seen snow in Mississippi in 3 years, and it seems every picture you post has snow haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feels that way too. :grin: Luckily, I actually like snow.

Ya, it's pretty easy around here to be in snow anytime from October through May, though not down here on the valley floor.

Then it gets hot as the dickens, over 100 degrees often, and dries out our forests in a few weeks... So we tend to have ski season and fire season with a couple of weeks of spring and fall to separate 'em.

Guy

Back