New stock for the Howa 6.5 CM

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
Put a bell and Carlson stock on my trusty Howa finally. Even with the aluminum block the action still fit fairly loose. So I bedded the front lug and rear tang with acraglass gel torqued action to 65 in/lbs. Today was her maiden voyage to the range in the new stock. Just a quick sight in, and four groups. Factory loads were Hornady American Whitetail 129 Interlock, and Hornady 147 ELDM. Two handloads were my trusty 120 TTSX, and 140 Gameking loads. I was rushed so I didn’t get to really take my time, but impressed so far. New stock makes shooting off bags a pleasure.
48f971290b15bb687098b8fa813d4569.jpg
3616fe3f290fc3f44d0ca54d32ec9c1f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fascinating pictures and some fine groups. What I want to know is, WHERE IS THE SNOW?

DrMike":2ie4p9x2 said:
Fascinating pictures and some fine groups. What I want to know is, WHERE IS THE SNOW?
Thanks Dr Mike! And I have no clue on the snow! I believe it’s been three years since we have had a snow where I live in Mississippi lol. Was 46* today at the range, yesterday morning it was 19* while I was hunting. Definitely been having some cold mornings, but nowhere near what some of you northern folks have had lol.

It was -27 F here this morning (-33 C). That makes it a tad chilly for shooting. I need to get out when the temps get back up to pleasant. I think this global warming has ensured a massive dump of warmth on the east coast of the USA! :shock: I noted that even TX had a fair dump of the white stuff. We had some pretty mild temperatures for several weeks, but it turned cold again after Christmas.

DrMike":1mbsfisl said:
It was -27 F here this morning (-33 C). That makes it a tad chilly for shooting. I need to get out when the temps get back up to pleasant. I think this global warming has ensured a massive dump of warmth on the east coast of the USA! :shock: I noted that even TX had a fair dump of the white stuff. We had some pretty mild temperatures for several weeks, but it turned cold again after Christmas.
Well no snow here also but we did get a blast of arctic air that has the temps down in the teens at night and 20s during the day which is cold for here but then De and Jan are our coldest months and looking forward to spring though I will get to the range again since i need to sight in some hand guns that I fitted with target scopes and need to shot a ladder with the 338Wm.

hogginlong":2rpnepso said:
It's always nice when the cheap stuff shoots best!
I actually hunted with those last year in a Ruger American predator in 6.5 CM. That old interlock is still a fine Whitetail bullet. Funny thing is most loads didn’t change all that much from previous stock. Except this Howa usually shot the American Whitetails around .8-.9”. So it seems like they really do good now. Well I guess you can’t judge by one group anyways. Will be trying them out some more here lately. I’m almost out of the Gamekings and TTSX, so I may put the American whitetails into Service this season too. This spring I plan on working with the 129 ABLR and 143 ELDX.

hogginlong":vukayjou said:
I can't get the 143 eldx to shoot good in my 6.5 Swede,haven't tried the 129 yet. Good luck.
I may not be able too either. I struggled all spring with the 129 SST and never got a group worth a flip.

I find trying to get sub moa out of my rifles almost as much fun as shooting at game :shock: did I just say that :lol:.
We don't see alot of Bell & Carlson stocks in these parts but I have read lots of good stuff on them. I am sure you will have that 6.5 shooting very small groups in no time and with some of the new bullets in that calibre they sure have knock down power at longer distances (y).

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":wfbis6xs said:
I find trying to get sub moa out of my rifles almost as much fun as shooting at game :shock: did I just say that :lol:.
We don't see alot of Bell & Carlson stocks in these parts but I have read lots of good stuff on them. I am sure you will have that 6.5 shooting very small groups in no time and with some of the new bullets in that calibre they sure have knock down power at longer distances (y).

Blessings,
Dan
Sask boy I also enjoy enjoy playing with loads trying to get tiny groups as possible. Unfortunately I’m usually the weak link lol.

Well I stoped by the Range after work today to try something. The groups I posted earlier were with the new stock torqued to 65 in lbs. today I dropped it to 60 in lbs. hard to believe it makes a difference, but it really does.
Edit: the .272” group was with hornady 147 grain ELDM. Don’t know why I wrote American Whitetail on it.
Edit: Edit: the Gameking group I wrote wrong. It’s 5 shots: .813” and 4 shots: .552” sorry apparently my brain froze out there.

8d15d04634cd8d36d3290ae00ebef2ae.jpg
a3b4c225659a6e099e3204e5de1a3034.jpg

To be fair the American Whitetail load was my last group. I was froze by then so I shot them as fast as I could, but still respectable for $19 a box

Loaded up my last ten 120 gr sierra matchkings and the did not disappoint today! Also tried two loads with the 129 SST and may have a good load there I need to verify. The fact that I could not get them to group for squat over the summer, I now have some interest in them again. Now come the 120 GMX, my Gun absolutely hates this bullet for some reason. I’ve tried varget and RL 16 from .020” off the lands to .120” off the lands. Groups pretty much stay the same. So I’m done messing with those for good.
29da134a6216e821586c94d82107f0a1.jpg
8408f29696a4345c4f645cc6e1ef5342.jpg
98578c8c2207c55a70b4c4af8f654cf1.jpg

Going to load some more of the 129 SST at .030” off the lands to verify next Saturday

Rifle looks great and man, does that sucker shoot! That thing has to bring a smile to your face. It hardly shoots anything bad enough that wouldn't be huntable.. Gosh darn, great shooting.

SJB358":176w3omh said:
Rifle looks great and man, does that sucker shoot! That thing has to bring a smile to your face. It hardly shoots anything bad enough that wouldn't be huntable.. Gosh darn, great shooting.
Thanks! This has been the most consistently accurate rifle I have ever owned. I just can’t figure out those GMX bullets though! I’m giving up on them. I got 20 rounds of that SST load ready to go, just to make sure it wasn’t a fluke.

Try seating a few of them deep, like .100-.125 off and see what happens, just for grins.

Back