Marlin model 375

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
I found a Marlin M375 chambered for 375 Win. in a LGS. It is used but looks very serviceable. If I didn't already have the 450 Marlin I might be tempted, but not now. For anyone interested, it is at Scott's Gun and Ammo in Horseheads, NY.

Dan

I have one Dan, good and fun cartridge to shoot. The hard part lately has been projectiles. Hornady hasn’t made any of their 220’s for a few years now. It compliments my .450 well and you can never have just one lever gun:)

I also own one of these firearms, and they are a lot of fun to shoot and hunt with.

While ammo can be hard to find right now, if you can find brass, Sierra has the 200 fp bullet still available.

If the price is right you should grab it!

You will enjoy shooting this over your 450!

Interesting rifles those 375's. I saw one up for sale somewhere here and thought it was a neat gun. Those Sierra 200 gr bullets have a pretty good reputation as a deer bullet by the sounds of it. The Barnes 255 gr original should be decent as well.

Gerry, I've never tried any of the 255 Barnes, always wanted too just never have. Call me cheap when it comes to paying over $1.00 for a bullet. Hawk is another one that has interested me but just haven't tried those either, for the same reason.

I did try the Barnes Original 255 gr in my 375.

At 100 yards they dropped over a foot below point of aim compared to the factory 200 gr ammunition. I did not chrony the load, so cannot say what the velocity was. I never did try them on game.

Gentlemen,
What you want to shoot is the Lyman 375449. I have a Marlin Model 375 and that's the bullet it loves the best. They are available from several commercial casters or you can cast your own. This rifle is currently my favorite to take to the range.

Thomas

The 375 Winchester is a great round. Sierra offers a 200 gr flat point Pro Hunter that was designed for the 375 Win. and it works great on WT deer. The only issue I have is brass availability.

JD338

JD338,
Caltech International is making the brass. Not sure if it's in stock but that's what I have been using and have been pleased.

Thomas

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

How much different is the 38/55 from the 375 Winchester? I say that because I know Starline makes 38/55 brass that may work, especially if you aren't running the tears out of it which I know most don't run their leverguns at.

I was always intrigued be the 375 win. Alas, I have too many overlaps to justify this one.

22 Lr
30-30 Win
308 Win
348 Win
35 Rem
444 Marlin
45-70 Gov't
450 Marlin

Blkram":2bwx6lek said:
While ammo can be hard to find right now, if you can find brass, Sierra has the 200 fp bullet still available.

If the price is right you should grab it!

As I recall the price tag on this rifle was about $750 which I thought was pretty high for the condition it was in. It looked like it had some rust pitting on the metal surfaces that the store owner cleaned up. I don't think the bore was cleaned. I would guess that if it had been "put away wet" that there would be some pitting in the bore.

I have looked on-line and didn't find loaded ammo. I didn't find any bullets in stock either.

I think the store owner said he had it for a while. I might check back in a few months and see if it is still there. If so, I may make an offer at a lower price. Meanwhile I will see if I can find any components for it.

Scotty, as far as 38/55 brass, Buffalo Bore claims their 38/55 will shoot in the 375 Win.:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... list&c=175

Dan

I have read and been told that it is safe to shoot 38-55 ammo in the 375, but not vice-versa, as the web of the 375 brass is thicker and can handle higher pressures than the 38-55.

This I have not tried as I have a good supply of 375 ammo and brass.

The problem with 38-55 brass is that the case wall is thinner than 375 Winchester brass.

JD338

Back