Mod 70 FWT 7x57 throat lengths?

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
For you guys that own the Mod 70 FWT (push feed mostly) do you feel the throat is on the long or short side? Thanks.

Started loading for one my son has this pass Oct. and went with the oal of the rounds that came with it. Didn't seem overly long in the throat but my 6.5x55 fwt has a long throat. Will get into the 7x57 more this winter. Sorry can't be of much help at this time. Dan.

My first Mod 70 FWT chambered in 7X57 had a long throat. I could not get anywhere near the throat. That was one of the push feed Mod 70s. I was never able to get it to shoot with the accuracy I had hoped to see. I traded it in and picked up another rifle. My current Mod 70 FST chambered in 7X57 does not have a particular long throat. It is current production from FN and it is a shooter.

My first one was the same way, though it liked a couple loads I could have hunted with just fine. Does Scotty's boy's FWT have the push feed or is it an FN make?

Not borrowing trouble for myself, but :))) if the one I have coming is not accurate ( say throat is too long, etc) I'll just have it rebarreled with a Shilen #2 (at same time I'll have it blueprinted/pillar bedded). I had that done to another Mod 70 FWT PF. It was in 30-06 and it shot really, really well. That was when my Mom had some issues in the nursing home and I ended up selling it too. "Whoever" made up the lie about "Preachers have all the money from widows & orphans" obviously never was around any "real ones", ha. I've "abounded and I've been abased"....Obammacare "abased me" pretty bad! lol But, one way or another I'm going to end up with a good shooting 7x57! All I need is time, money and opportunity. (y)

My M70 FWT is an 80's push feed and accuracy is fine. I have a 140 gr. BT load at 2800 that runs in the .50" range, and just recently worked up a load with the 150 gr. PT that runs right at one inch so the guns will shoot. Winchester factory 145 gr. Power pOints are sub MOA as are the 175 gr. Federal round nose. I've done a little work with the 160 gr. Speer Grand Slams but so far the rifle doesn't like them much. No matter, I've found my .280 Rem. flat out loves that bullet. (Old style two core version. I have a bunch) So far, none of my three 7x57s like the 150 gr. AccuBond long Range bullet. Naturally, YMMV.
Paul B.

Thanks Paul, that original 7x57 Mod 70 I had was stock. I didn't try to have it bedded, etc, just got disgusted with it, really. I myself tried that 150 NABLR in 2 .280s and I couldn't get it to shoot either! BUT...that 168 NABLR shot great in them and in a 7mm Rem Mag I had. I think I can get 2700fps pretty easy in the 7x57 with it. I got best accuracy in my .280s right at 2750fps. Now, for them from the bench I zeroed it to what "looked like" +1" high. I then turned it on the 200 target and hit plumb center! This was right at 6000ft, and I 'could have" been closer to 1.5" high at 100, but it sure looked like +1, lol. At any rate, my average shot out here is 200yds on elk/muleys and 214 on antelope doe! High BC is not on my list for range, but I "feel" it really helps buck the wind ( my cold blooded, dark, evil nemesis!) :)

Shoot me a PM Jim and I'll measure a few bullets tonight in my boys 7x57. I don't think it is especially long throated, but if it is, I don't mind, that thing drives tacks with just about any bullet I have put through it, 140 BT, 150 Partition, 140 AccuBond, 150 Ballistic Tip and the 160 Partition. I like the danged thing so much I used to look all over for one of my own. These days, with the boy in the Corps I can sneak it out and he won't know the difference :mrgreen:

C.O.L. is 3.050 for my son's 7x57 using nosler 140 bt and sierra 140 game king bt. Hope this helps. Dan.

preacher":1j0e4gtd said:
Not borrowing trouble for myself, but :))) if the one I have coming is not accurate ( say throat is too long, etc) I'll just have it rebarreled with a Shilen #2 (at same time I'll have it blueprinted/pillar bedded). I had that done to another Mod 70 FWT PF. It was in 30-06 and it shot really, really well. That was when my Mom had some issues in the nursing home and I ended up selling it too. "Whoever" made up the lie about "Preachers have all the money from widows & orphans" obviously never was around any "real ones", ha. I've "abounded and I've been abased"....Obammacare "abased me" pretty bad! lol But, one way or another I'm going to end up with a good shooting 7x57! All I need is time, money and opportunity. (y)
Preacher just to help you out, I think there is still a Winchester Model 70 Supergrade in 7x57 at a store here in town! Just saying...................

"You're the Devil"!!! ha I really love the looks of both the Supergrade Mod 70 and the Supergrade FWT...but I know me...I just wouldn't feel comfortable hunting with it, ha. I have had a few really, really beautiful rifles in my life. All of them ended up being range guns and never hunted (except my first 30-30, a Winchester 94 Classic carbine, I kept it from rusting in the rain forest of East Texas with liberal sprayings of WD-40!). " I "have been known" to slip and fall on my big behind, or my back at least once an outing! I really "love" coming down a steep ridge in a foot of snow and stepping on a fallen aspen trunk "underneath"! Wham clatter clatter, ha! I am pretty good about protecting my rifle with my body, but its the rain/snow/dust that bother me the most on rifles. I have even used a synthetic replacement stock...but then worried about that beautiful blueing job! So, I kinda compromise as I just 'won't hunt with an ugly gun, but I still protect them. Now..have been casting a wary eye on the "Gunslicker"...but I can just see myself trying to get it out when seeing game! :)

Back