Oh Boy.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Upcoming estate auction. Why do I look at this stuff? I don't need it but it doesn't stop me from wanting it. Wont find a much better condition example than this.

6mm Remington":aljrxrdn said:
Dang that is a sweet looking rifle and what a cartridge it is chambered for!

It's all a couple of guys on here's fault. They talked me into taking Dad's old 348 out hunting this yr and killing a deer with it. Now I got the bug. They are one cool rifle.

That rifle will fetch some course $$$$, you could look at a thousand of them and never find one that good!
It's so nice in fact I would describe it as "Crisp" and pretty much perfect in every way. If you can get it, just buy it, really good ones like that don't come around often

35 Whelen":1tct7qgo said:
That rifle will fetch some course $$$$, you could look at a thousand of them and never find one that good!
It's so nice in fact I would describe it as "Crisp" and pretty much perfect in every way. If you can get it, just buy it, really good ones like that don't come around often

That's what I'm figuring. It could bring way more than I'm willing to give for any rifle. The only saving grace is there's a whole bunch of collector guns at this estate sale, and I mean a BUNCH. I'm not even sure I can make it, but I'm gonna try.

I really have no business looking at this gun unless it would happen to go for dirt cheap which I'm not sure why it would. It appears to be collector grade and I'm not a collector. A gun like this would be hard to use without showing any changes at all from its current condition. They're not around every corner, but there is 348's out there that can be bought, that can be used and maintained the way they are.

Dude, you NEED this rifle!
- it's mint condition
- it's rare to find in such excellent condition
- it's a Winchester 71 348 Winchester
- it's got lots of cool factor
- it's an investment

JD338

Enablers! That is how I wound up with mine in 348! :mrgreen:

Ya know....if you have multiple kids it's just not right to only leave one of them a fine rifle. Just saying....:)

I cannot believe Cheyenne has not been on here urging you to get that rifle too! She must be asleep at the wheel.

Wet blanket...sorry. A person can really get skinned on an old Winchester lever gun that looks that nice. I'd sure get some professional eyes on it before I laid out big money.

I may or may not be another "wet blanket" but in a different way. If you are someone who wants that rifle as a collector piece, then research the worth and if you can buy it for what it is worth, in real time and on the open market, not an emotional purchase, then buy it.

If you want to hunt with a 348, you would be be better served to buy a Browning. Very well made rifles, they can be scoped, and you will not have a heart attack if you scratch it.

Good luck

My opinion, and that's all it is so I could be wrong. But in my view pretty much any decent model 71 348 bought at a fair value for that particular gun is an investment that would pay off in the long run. You don't need a collector grade gun to realize a rise in value, in some cases maybe a greater % increase from a woods used 348 in decent to good shape.

Secondly those kind of 348's that have some nicks, scratches, and some oil darkened wood here and there on them but are far from abused are the kind of gun that barring taking them out in an all day soaking rain could be maintained just the way they are while being used and enjoyed hunting with them. A mint grade collector gun should really be put away and kept as just that. It's hard to use a gun like that without that use showing some wear compared to before.

Back