Which scope for a .22?

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I bought a ATACR 5-25 NightForce for the 6.5 Creedmoor recently. I took advantage of the Nightforce promotions and Nightforce is sending me a free 25TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL EDITION RUGER promotion if I buy one of their listed scopes. Planning to use it to teach my girls how to shoot a rimfire for the first time to have some fun. Looking for a scope for a .22 Ruger and not going to spend a fortune like those ATACR's for my custom rifles, but a reasonably priced scope of quality and magnification up to , let's say 14X, would that be too much since most shots are up to 100 yards, maybe stretch to 200 for a fun shoot at paper plates.

What scope do you guys recommend? Vortex is a nice scope, but not familiar with any except Leupolds and NightForce but not my scope of choice for a cheap .22 Ruger.

http://nightforceoptics.com/1022

Um- I'm just a poor guy so/but a straight 4x seems right to me on a .22, especially if we are learning. IMHO. Otherwise, I would look for a 2-7 VXI on a 22. That's just me. CL

EDIT- My Marlin wears a bushnell sportview 4x32 that I bought as a promotional model for $25, 32 years ago. Back then folks thought I was crazy to put 1 inch tube on a .22. The burris rings I had to use were actually more expensive than the scope. :) Ive never had a problem with that scope and that is the ONLY Bushnell Ive ever owned I can say that about. Maybe I got lucky....CL

Don't know from original post what price range or brand you may looking for, but for what it's worth...
I have an older Marlin model 25M (tackdriver), that I purchased new back in the early to mid 80's and it has a Japan Tasco 4X16X40 with adjustable Plex mounted on it.
Yes...a Tasco...but honestly, it has never failed me so far. Actually, I like it just as good as some "expensive" scopes and IMHO it has done everything I believe one could ask and is still holding up great. I have some "expensive for my income" scopes, but I never intend on changing this one out unless it fails. I bought this scope used, paid about $80.00 bucks for it and I see them now on EBay asking $275.00. ????
A few months back, I found a second one almost like it in a pawn shop for $100.00 marked price, advertised as NOS/NIB. I purchased it for $75.00. Installed it on my little .17 HMR. I will check part# if you're interested?

I am reminded of the great Jack O'Connor's advice from years ago regarding scopes.... I had a Leupold M8 4x on some of the best shooting rifles that I have ever owned and not felt like I was handi-capped in any way. I shot I don't know how many ground squirrels and rock chucks along with grouse, badgers and a few coyotes with that 4x on my Marlin 39-A!
That scope is vintage 1975 and to this day, can be counted on to perform well on any rifle that wears it. It has seen service on calibers all the way up to 375 H&H and shot many a sub moa group at 100 yards.
For starting out new shooters and exposing them to the world of telescope sights, nothing beats a good 4x on a .22lr rifle in my opinion. My CZ 452 A. wears a Leupold vx-II 2-7 and that would be a great choice as well.

Back