What twist for 243 shooting 90 grain accubonds

Ehgbyf

Beginner
Dec 10, 2013
I am close to needing a new barrel on my 243 ackley and was going to see what twists people are using for the 90 grain AccuBond. I currently have a 1/9 but have seen some rifles that were 1/8 and 1/8.5.

Thanks for any advise you can give. When I built my current 243 accubonds were not even in the picture.

When I rebarrel my 243 it will be with a 1/8 because it will handle pretty much anything but the long 115's. My 1/9.125 shoots 105's great right now but a 1/8" would open a few more doors.

90 AccuBond is 1.11 length with about .140 plastic tip. If you ONLY going to shoot tipped bullets you will be fine with a 9 twist.

Any longer bullets or bullets of same length without plastic tip and you will need to be tad faster twist is what I have found.

Got my fingers crossed that a 1:10 will work for me. I just completed a ladder up to 50gr of RL26 without any signs of pressure. Time to start shooting groups and playing with seating depth.
V /R,
Joe

EOD Diver":1x8v89cz said:
Got my fingers crossed that a 1:10 will work for me. I just completed a ladder up to 50gr of RL26 without any signs of pressure. Time to start shooting groups and playing with seating depth.
V /R,
Joe

It'll work Joe.. That should be a good shooting combo. Don't be scared of seating them deep.

As to which twist, I'd probably go 7 or at least 8 twist were I rebarreling a 243.. No harm in the extra twist with any good hunting bullet. RPM's count on animals.

Scotty,
I’m trying something new from listening to you guys on the forum. I tested up to 50gr of RL26 without pressure signs and intend to try messing with seating depth, vice charge weight, to see if anything stands out. I’m at .075” off the lands and will back it off from there.
V/R,
Joe

EOD Diver":2yvtrknx said:
Scotty,
I’m trying something new from listening to you guys on the forum. I tested up to 50gr of RL26 without pressure signs and intend to try messing with seating depth, vice charge weight, to see if anything stands out. I’m at .075” off the lands and will back it off from there.
V/R,
Joe

How's it shooting so far?

What sorta speeds are you seeing so far Joe?

I haven’t shot it for groups just yet Scotty. I just sized and primed the cases and then loaded a little ladder to make sure I didn’t see pressure before I got to 50gr. I’m sad to say that I still don’t have a chrony. I know, I really need to get with the times, but I always had a buddy to shoot with in the past.
V/R,
Joe

EOD Diver":e98gh481 said:
I haven’t shot it for groups just yet Scotty. I just sized and primed the cases and then loaded a little ladder to make sure I didn’t see pressure before I got to 50gr. I’m sad to say that I still don’t have a chrony. I know, I really need to get with the times, but I always had a buddy to shoot with in the past.
V/R,
Joe

MAGNETOSPEED!!!

I do understand not having a chrony, but man, you'll like the MS.. It is so danged easy and no set up. I really only use it for finding my flat spots these days and then just shoot. Life got easy with that sucker. Plus, the 9V battery seems to last a really long time.

I'll look up some of my load data from my little brothers 243/90 AB's/RL26 and pass it along, but man, it was very accurate and just wicked fast.

Thanks man! I appreciate it Scotty. I’ll work on the wife a little about the MS and see what I can do. Do you really prefer it that much to a more traditional chrony? I’m old school and ignorant about this stuff and appreciate your insight.
V/R,
Joe

I'm with Scotty on that and go to a 1:7 so you can use anything currently made in 6mm, and up to the 115 DTAC RBT, or the 110 SMK.

I changed my mind and went with rebarreling my 260 to a 6mm Creedmoor vs. the 6.5, it will be a 1:7.3" barrel just for that reason. Why hinder yourself to light for caliber bullets in the first place, you'll then have a useful deer/pronghorn slinging sleek heavier slugs if your wish too?

EOD Diver":3s23cp0q said:
Thanks man! I appreciate it Scotty. I’ll work on the wife a little about the MS and see what I can do. Do you really prefer it that much to a more traditional chrony? I’m old school and ignorant about this stuff and appreciate your insight.
V/R,
Joe

Oh yeah, it is way better than any of the light based chrono's, unless you are talking an Ohler and even then, it was tested pretty heavy and came out very good amongst all of the high end stuff. Cannot beat it for ease of use. I use the Sporter model so it is really about the same money as the cheaper Pro-Chrono and others and way more easier to use.

SJB358":2py2jcnp said:
EOD Diver":2py2jcnp said:
V/R,
Joe

Oh yeah, it is way better than any of the light based chrono's, unless you are talking an Ohler and even then, it was tested pretty heavy and came out very good amongst all of the high end stuff. Cannot beat it for ease of use. I use the Sporter model so it is really about the same money as the cheaper Pro-Chrono and others and way more easier to use.
I agree with Scotty.

Magneto Speed has great customer service as well. Mine started acting up after about a year, so I emailed them and they sent a whole new unit, no questions asked.

AFG270":8p5vgaxw said:
SJB358":8p5vgaxw said:
EOD Diver":8p5vgaxw said:
V/R,
Joe

I agree with Scotty.

Magneto Speed has great customer service as well. Mine started acting up after about a year, so I emailed them and they sent a whole new unit, no questions asked.

Same here, I probably broke the mic jack with abusing it a little. Called them and they sent me a new unit without a question asked. Awesome in that department. Mine has had a bunch of rounds over it. The little rubber snub piece that protects it from gasses is long gone on mine and it just keeps ticking along..

Back