Rifle build questions.....

c. schutte

Handloader
Jan 24, 2012
The rifle is almost done and there are two things that need to be addressed, checkering pattern or not and to jewel or polish the bolt.

It's a dark wood stock that has a lot of burl with plenty of dark areas, almost black. It looks subtle at first until you get close then all the character really becomes apparent. With this in mind I am afraid of picking the right checkering pattern. Since I do not want the checkering to be the main attraction I'm for something simple but, my fear is it will appear too light or white against a dark brown stock. Maybe the answer is to not checker?????

Jewel the bolt or polish? I'm thinking jewel but, would like opinions.

Model 70 action, old dark walnut stock that is getting an oil finish.......... 404 jeffery

Thanks............chs

Chuck, I would want checkering on that monster, even if it compromised the looks a little, checkering would be a much have in order to hold onto that sucker.

Jeweling on the bolt looks pretty sharp when done nice and doesn't hurt nothing a bit. It sounds like a beautiful rifle! Cannot wait to see some pictures of it.

I agree, checkering on this rifle will add to its ability to be held well during recoil. Recommend talking to someone skilled in this craft to determine lines per inch and pattern and coverage for your rifle.

Jewelling the bolt would add an extra touch of class.

Most diffidently checker it but remember that the jeweling of the bolt will wear with use and polishing will be easier to touch up if you want to keep it looking sharp.

Thanks folks,

I hear you on wearing that jeweled bolt but, if that rifle ever goes to Africa after buffalo like I hope it will some day it will most likely wear some wear elsewhere too. I'm fine with a rifle showing some use after years and years of service.

You guys are right about checkering being a good idea for this rifle. I agree and will go for a simple checker that won't glow like neon. :>)

c. schutte":36rwh97e said:
Thanks folks,

I hear you on wearing that jeweled bolt but, if that rifle ever goes to Africa after buffalo like I hope it will some day it will most likely wear some wear elsewhere too. I'm fine with a rifle showing some use after years and years of service.

You guys are right about checkering being a good idea for this rifle. I agree and will go for a simple checker that won't glow like neon. :>)

Good checkering never looks bad Chuck.

I can’t wait to wear a rifle out someday.... it’s a goal. Other than a couple M4s I haven’t done it with a personal gun.

I really like my uncheckerered 721, but it feels a bit like an unfinished product to save money when I look hard at it. If it’s a good stick of wood, checkering will only enhance its beauty. Jeweling sure looks nice, but I’ve been staring at sir Jack’s rifles for too long now and have become hopelessly biased.
V/R,
Joe

I went without on my 458 Lott. I haven’t noticed the lack of checkering and it leaves a subtle, unadorned look that compliments the wood well.

02171bd4ac11d1562215c94151fe088f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a flip flopper on this subject depending.

I'm of the opinion that across a fairly wide range of wood a nice checkering job dresses it up and adds to the overall look. And a world class checkering job is a thing of beauty in and of itself. I'm jealous of that kind of talent. There are some checkering jobs that could be done on a pine board and it would still hold significant value.

However on the other hand if you have a real stunner of a piece of wood, why cover it up in any way? Nature is not a drive through window that you can just put an order in for. Some pieces of wood have predominant features that are literally 1 in 1,000 that you would ever come across. The thought of diminishing the clarity and covering up a 1/3 of the view of that rarity wouldn't be for me. Especially if the checkering happens to cover key features. But it's just my opinion and you know what they say about those.

My nicest rifle, a Model 70 in 375 H&H, has no checkering:

wmuFKZ9l.jpg

I've considered having it checkered, but... naw... I think it looks and feels just fine the way it is.

Guy

Back