New Montana Rifle Co. Extreme X3

AFG270

Handloader
Aug 26, 2013
Anyone have more info on these rifles? Don't see it on their website yet. Sound interesting.

The Montana Rifles Company’s Extreme X2 rifle was – and is – a great choice for making long shots on game; for 2018 MRC has announced their Extreme X3, a lighter, stronger design featuring aluminum bottom metal. A lighter, foam filled stock and MRC Model 1999 action are employed, with the package coming in at two pounds lighter than the X2. Available in all standard short and long-action caliber, including the Nosler family of cartridges and some more rare offerings like the .264 Win. Mag, 6.5-284, and 7x57mm Mauser. MSRP $1,495

I think that sounds like a heckuva rifle. A few fella's I know have X2's and once they were shot in they really shot well.

I like just about everything about the rifles and have been tempted a few times but with all those P64's still kicking around it is hard to look at other stuff most of the time. :mrgreen:

Do your research.

I tried to order an action from them a couple of weeks ago. I got the run around on the price, they had '17 prices up on the price list download and wouldn't honor them. Blamed the IT guy.

They have gotten considerable bad press along with good. It's fair to say that it's a rough action, by most reports, and take quite a bit of work to clean them up. They are a cast receiver...think Ruger M77. They are very heavy due to the Mauser style front receiver bridge that eliminates the need to cut a feed cone and extractor slot in the breach like the Model 70.

I really wanted a CRF short action. Being a lefty makes it a bit of a challenge. I was willing to accept the weight, crude finish and machining. I can fix that. I cannot fix or abide crummy customer service or passively being called a liar. I flushed that program and bought another Borden. Service, quality, and reputation there are beyond reproach.

I wish them well. They've won a few outdoor magazine issued awards, so they must make the writers happy.

I have done considerable research on the X2, started looking at them a couple years ago, decided they were to heavy. I don't know anything about their customer service, I have never dealt with them.

Our local gun shop owner just got back from the Shot Show, where MRC had their X3. He said it had a very smooth action and was much lighter than the X2. I told him to bring a couple into his shop, so we could look at them. But you are right, Scotty, with all the P64's around it is hard to get serious about anything else.

I could definitely be interested in a left hand version of an X-3 if they ever come out with them. The X-2 sounded pretty heavy so 2 lbs lighter sounds quite good.

Thanks for posting it is an interesting development. I emailed MRC and they said the bit about being 2 lbs lighter was a mistake by Guns and Ammo that they are going to correct in their article. They are supposed to be 1/2 to 3/4 lb lighter which is still quite good. I asked about a left hand version but we will see.

Back