Howa 1500

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Anybody know the good, bad, or ugly about this gun? There's a new in box, wood stocked one in 30-06 locally for $400. Don't need it but didn't seem like a bad price. It would probably just be put away.

While I'm asking questions, there's also a Rem 141 with tang mounted peep sight in 35 Remington that kinda interested me as I'm a sucker for old guns, any experience here with that gun and caliber?

The Howa 1500 is also known as the Weatherby Vanguard. Generally they are excellent, accurate rifles. I prefer the extra 2 inches of the Weatherby barrel most of the time.

They do well with some trigger tuning/replacement and bedding.

My 35 Rem rifles are Marlin 336's. Fun rifles.

I have a HOWA 1500 in 6.5 X 55 Swede. Very impressed, extremely accurate. Was concerned about two stage trigger but I personally like it. I would buy another one.
Duane

Ok thanks for the info. I got some cash I've kept back and it's starting to burn a hole in my wallet. Just shopping around as I haven't for sure run across the gun that will make me weigh a little less. :grin:

I have a 1500 in 6.5 CM. Mine is the heavy barrel model, and it is the most consistently accurate rifle I have ever owned. Also was worried I would not like the two stage trigger, but I was wrong it is a fantastic trigger. Mine came from the factory at 3 1/2 lbs. The adjustment screw took it down to 2.8 lbs. I also clipped a coil on the sear spring and that took it down to 1.8 lbs. The action is very smooth and the machining tolerances are very tight. I think the Howa is one of the best underrated performers on the market, and it seems they are finally getting more popular, and people are realizing what a great rifle they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 2 Howa made rifles, both are excellent rifles. $400 and you've got a solid, accurate hunting machine.

I had a Marlin 35 Rem and while I absolutely adored the cartridge, and a deer killer it was, I just couldn't embrace the 336. Wound up trading it for a 12' Jon boat and motor.

I have a Howa 1500 in 308. Barrel was very rough and fouled bad until I got it broke in. I adjusted the trigger. It has an ugly plastic stock but shoots well. It's my pickup gun and I've killed several hogs with it. I don't worry about scratching it. I think in addition to the Weatherby Vanguard that S&W used the Howa action years ago.

The Howa 1500 is a good design- it goes back to when Howa made the Sako L61 under license. The Howa people also do a first rate job of machining, while their guns are somewhat heavy (and maybe a little plain) by today's standards...they are a first rate outfit.

Howa 1500s have been marketed by S&W and have been the base for the Weatherby Vanguard line for years.

$400 is a steal. I've had several and all of them were shooters.

They also look strikingly like a M48 Nosler. I’ve had a couple Vanguards and they have all shot well.

Not saying for sure I would've bought it because maybe I wouldn't of liked the wood, but I was going to look at it after reading just the first 2 responses, but I was too late it was sold. But at least I'm not in the dark about them now if I run across another one that interests me. Thanks for all the comments and info.

Back