300 Norma Magnum

A

Anonymous

My local hook and bullet is getting one of the new Christensen Arms MPRs chambered in .300 Norma.

At first I though he was mistaken since I'd never heard of the .300 Norma. I knew about the .308 Norma- a belted cartridge from the 60s- but not this one.

I looked it up- a beltless, big cased, .30 that seem primarily marketed to tactical/long range type shooters. Ballistics seem basically on par with the 300WBY/300RUM/30NOS class- 220 at 3000fps and I assume 180gr at 3200ish.It also seems the SOCOM folks have picked it up for their new sniper rifles.

The only real difference I could discern is the .300 Norma is twisted to 1:8 rather than the usual 1:10 or 1:11 that virtual every other .30 magnum has. Not really sure what I'd do with it other than agonize over the cost of brass and the procurement of it...but it certainly looks interesting in a fast twist rifle.

Haven't shot one, but it has some good potential from all that I can read on it. It should be a great round.

I converted my SAKO TRG-42 to 300 Norma years ago so I could still shoot the gun with less recoil vs. the 338 LM.

I used a Bartlien 1:8" finished at 27 1/4". I don't run it hard, I use a Berger 230 gr. Hybrid at 2,900 fps, and it's extremely accurate! A lot of the percentage of hits are due to less recoil for the shooter, and seeing those hits. A lot like why PRS shooters use 6mm vs. even the 6.5mm, less recoil.

It's a well designed case, and the bullets can be seated out with the BT only into the neck/shoulder junction, and still fit in a DBM box. Unlike the 338 LM wear the 300 gr. bullets need to be deeply seated in the case. It's a great LR round IMO.

Back