New Toy.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Found something that peaked my intrest as far as getting rid of some pocket cash I was carrying around waiting on the right gun. An 06 with a 24" tube built on a sporterized 03 A3 Mauser style action with a Leupold VX II 3x9 on a one piece Redfield base. Decent wood on it. The man told me it's a shooter, I'll find out this summer. At $450 I couldn't turn it down. The gun is heavy at 9.5 lbs but it just feels right and fits when I throw it up. Balanced right and I LOVE the action.

salmonchaser":1a8111ge said:
Score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless it doesn't shoot, I think so. When doing some research on the 03A3 action it isn't hard to find plenty of guys that prefer it to the 98 Mauser. The recoil pad on this gun is hard and brittle so I'll have to replace that at some point, and I'd like to buy another bottom plate and replace the existing one with a drop plate. But all in all the longer I have it home the more happy I am with it. (y)

If the action is strong and not soft like some made during WW1 the action alone is worth what you paid for the whole rifle. There are also ways to lightening the stock to get the weight down.

Its a great rifle, in the post regarding The Best Military rifle, I posted that I liked my A-3 the best. Its very similar to yours.

truck driver":3j1j3w83 said:
If the action is strong and not soft like some made during WW1 the action alone is worth what you paid for the whole rifle. There are also ways to lightening the stock to get the weight down.

Honestly I don't think the weight will bother me. This wont be an all day carrying rifle but a short walks and sitting rifle. My model 70 fully rigged up weighs 8.75 if I remember right and I don't ever think about it. If carrying weight isn't an issue then it's nice to have in my opinion because it's a built in top way to reduce recoil.

Beautiful rifle ST! I bet it shoots like crazy! That’s an awesome score.

Hard not to like the old Springfields. I had an 03A3 waaaaay back. Should never have let it go. My 358 Norma Magnum is built on an 03A3.

I carried an in altered 03A3
My first year hunting, I was 12. Loved that rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truck Driver's comment on a soft metal action is accurate. I believe the serial numbers from 875,000 and earlier had this issue. It would behoove you to run a check on this issue.

diverdown":2nb8smog said:
Truck Driver's comment on a soft metal action is accurate. I believe the serial numbers from 875,000 and earlier had this issue. It would behoove you to run a check on this issue.

Yeah I had seen that when I was looking at some blogs about the action and that caused me to do some more research.

According to the specs I found improved heat treatment started at 800,000. Introduction of nickel steel started at 1275767.

If you have a Remington 03 action, then you should be automatically good to go. Remington 1903A3 production started in 1942 at number 3348086, so way past any of the early birds.

If you have an 03 from Rock Island Arsenal then the improved heat treatment started at 285,507. Introduction of nickel steel started at 319,921.

I already stripped and cleaned this gun, BUT the Redfield base is blocking any numbers and the slotted base screws going down into the receiver are TIGHT, TIGHT, TIGHT. I've soaked them but so far not even a budge. I'll keep soaking them because I wanna know for myself what I got.

A classic from another time! wonderful looking old rifle. Dont think I'd worry about the steel if it were me... Shoot and enjoy! CL

This gun has caused me to do quite a bit of detective work. I cannot get those scope base screws out to see what the number is underneath. However there is an R stamped on the side of the rear bolt collar, an R underneath of the bolt handle, and an R stamped onto the bolt body up near the front. All marks I can find pictures of in those locations with Remington 03 A3 actions. I found a picture comparing the knurling and rings on an early 03 firing pin, a late 03/early A3 firing pin, and an A3 firing pin. Mine is an A3.

It's definitely a Remington marked bolt assembly so it should be a Remington A3 action which didn't start production until way past any trouble yrs. Unless a Remington A3 bolt would work in older actions of different manufacturer's. Springfield, R.I.A., Smith Corona. Doesn't seem likely but I don't know that for sure yet.

Back