Tikka scope mounts?

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
I have a friend who has just bought a new Tikka T3 Lite SS in 6.5 Creedmoor. This guy hunts Dall sheep and everything else in Alaska where he lives. Rough country. I am wondering if anyone has ever heard of the Tikka supplied scope mounts are an issue, even in this light recoiling cartridge or no? He is more of a hunter than a rifle nut, so any heads up I can give him now will give him time to get it sorted out before next Fall. Thanks. Oh yeah, My SIL has one in 7mm Rem Mag but he bought it used from a guy in WY, don't know its history but his rifle shoots very, very well. Another friends Tikka T3 Lite in 338 Fed has magazine feeding issues, its polymer. That's the only thing I have read negative about them. Any help?

I have several Tikkas including one of the 6.5's. Normally the mounts are fine for light recoiling calibers but the bigger cartridges have been known to take a toll on them.

Unless he thinks the terrain he will be hunting will damage them somehow he is probly ok. However, If he is anticipating some rough handling, some stouter mounts/rings might be in order. When I got my 6.5 CM SS, I couldn't find any SS mounts, everything was blued. If he doesn't care about the color, I'd probly opt for some Leupolds or something similar.

Just my .02.

Ron

I've had a couple of these and currently my son has one.

I've found the factory rings satisfactory...but they are not confidence inspiring at all.

I will most likely change Evan's out to a DNZ. Their model for the Tikka looks really clean.

We have Talley lightweight's on my wife's 6.5x55, they work well and we have no reason to change them. When I get a Tikka hopefully this year it will be hunted in rough country so will likely get a rail for a base and so heavy duty rings just in case.

I have one in .308 with a Zeiss in the original aluminum rings. I bought this rifle in 2007 and have never had a bit of problems with the Tikka rings.
I also have a set of blued 30 MM Millet rings which have seen limited use. Personally I think these are a stronger ring than the Tikka's.
If hunting Alaska and Dall sheep I would use a stronger set of rings.

Back