Sako Forester L579 scope mounts?

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
I used the Talley makes on an older AV Sako awhile back, but it was a lot of money. I see, but do not understand clearly how they work, the Leupold "ringmount". I can only "assume" they clamp onto the tiny grooves on the action ( ala .22 mounts) and that "Medium" would put a 40MM were it needs to be. ( the Medium Talleys were too high on the AV/tally bases, had to use Low) Has anyone used or read how these do. Rifle is a .243 so low recoil and I don't handle my rifles rough, actually I baby them! :)

I have used Leupold bases and they clamp on like you are thinking. I never had them fail but on the new Sako 85 I went with a Burris base that you tap on over the dovetail and use a set screw that help it hold. Put Burris Zee rings on the base. Both systems work well from what I have seen, the only other ones I have tried were the Millet system and I wasn't too impressed with them. Lots of wandering zero issues.

I think I prefer the Leupolds for their looks, easy installation, so you think they will work fine with the .243? Also, what height did you use? In their "regular" mounts for other rifles, I always use Medium for my scopes/neck length etc. I tried the Medium Talley and it was way too high, had to swap them for their "Low" rings on that older AV '06 I had.

I had mediums (still have them for a spare set) and was pretty happy with that height. They have to be tightly clamped on the base otherwise they shift forward with recoil. The good news is they tighten up if that ends up happening. I had them on a 308 Norma, 35 Whelen, 358 Norma and 7mm Rem Mag so I can't see you having any issues with the 243 at all.

Preacher the Leupold ring mounts are a heck of a rugged ring they fit the tapered base so you have the strongest possible connection between the scope and receiver, so it's simaler to Rugers rings that fasten
directly to the receiver. With a 3/9 40mm objective the Meds are really too high for me? Here is what they look like on a Sako 85M ........ there is still over 1/4" below the bell to the barrel. IMG_2227.JPGLows would get you right down on the deck I am thinking!!
The Optiloks are even higher! Here are lows!( see picture down at bottom) :?
Probably the lightest lows mounts were the Millet Angle Loc ring mounts that have been discontinued.
The Sako" OptiRing mount" is the best there is but pricey!
Most folks are not firmilar with them? And get them confused with the common "Optilok" ones
Already has the .150 pin in the bases!opplanet-sako-optilock-ringmounts-blue-s1701904.jpg Very well made but double tbe cost of Leupolds! :evil:

Attachments

• 20180220_104259.jpg
    20180220_104259.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,733
Benn out of town a week, so thanks for the post 35 and the pics! I am putting a Nikon 4x12x40AO on it, its been a really nice scope for the tiniest groups for me, and been on hard kickers ( not that I'm fretting it on this 243! ha) It works in the same rings/mounts on my other rifles ( Leupold 2 pc STD bases and Med STD rings.) So you think the Lows may work with that Nikon?

I will be mounting one up shortly so will post a picture of a 40 mm obj
On Leupold Lows for ya!
E

Just for fun here is a 40 mm Objective on a Vortex sitting in a pair of now discontinued Millet Sako Angle Loc
Rings, 1" Low Smooth # SA00010.
You are left with approx .100 from top of barrel contour to the bottom of the bell...... it's down thereIMG_2276.JPG
These were actually decent ring but most folks never understood how to set them up correctly
And when they are not correct they would move and cause problems!

Preacher,
Here is a 40 mm Zeiss mounted in LOW Leupold rings, this just makes it! This is " on the deck"
With only .020 under the bell, it's as close as it gets!
This is my old Conquest I removed from the Tikka I sold to buy this Sako 85. It has the Z600
Reticule in it.IMG_2279.JPG

Trying something first...I bought a new (old product) set of Redfield bases for the Sako off Ebay today. $18 & shipping. It is the STD type pivot front hole and two windage screws rear, so, hopefully, I can use my existing Leupold rings. I'll gamble that much...:) The "good" part is I sent off the Final Payment Today for it! Happy boy..

Well good luck, there are dozens of combinations that are possibilities for the Sakos, and if $125/50 bucks is ok for anyone, for mounts then simply buying the Sako Ringmounts is probably the best way to go, with Opti Loks. Next . Warne used to make a QD ring mount that was well done but heavy! The little Millett Angle Loc's
are no doubt the lightest of all of them; I am always striving to get the scope as low as possible, because it is so critical for those shots were you don't have any extra seconds to mess around, trying to get into the eye box of a scope mounted tooooo high for the rifle. Around here years ago there were hundreds of old beat up
R.E.M. 742 autos with see thru mounts, and a $50 Tasso scope.....
You literally have to lift your check compleatly off the stock to find the eye box! Poorest outfit one could ever choose.......... the theory was " you could shoot faster on a running deer with open sights: false.
Or when it was getting dark you could shoot longer with open sights: false again. Oh well it sure saved a lot of
Deer!

35 Whelen":2atz5mwj said:
Oh well it sure saved a lot of Deer!

Com'on, E. Why don't you say what you really think? Tell us how you really feel :mrgreen:

Lol, I was just getting warmed up to that Doc! Lol, guess One should keep all that stuff to yourself so you don't
step on anyone's toes...... anything you say, could hurt someone's feelings somewhere, probably best to not say anything and keep that stuff to ones self ???

Well, saying something like that could devastate our safe space. Snowflakes could melt. You know how it is with anything negative in this day of sensitive souls and the triumph of emotions over reason. :mrgreen:

I was given a Model 742 with that same setup! A friend was just trying to be a Blessing to me and, for grins, I thought I'd try to zero it, maybe hunt with it a time or two. this was back in '83. The scope was shot, so I mounted a spare proven 4x Tasco I had on it. I zeroed it at 100 (30-06) got about a 3.5 in group, then it opened up. After several more trips to the range, checking it all out, the culprit was those see thru rings wouldn't stay zeroed! No matter, with is permission ( since it was a gift) I traded that rifle for a used Marlin 444 even steven. One very, very good trade! ha

I had a pair of them back in the 70's with an old Weaver 3x German post that I picked up at a flea market. Used them for a while but couldn't get use to them and gave them to someone but kept the scope which I let my brother talk me out of and wanted a pair of the see thru mounts so he could use the open sights on his rifle. I got him a pair mounted the scope and after he used them for a week he decide he didn't like them and stiffed me for the rings. I have a pair in my man cave and they may be the same ones.

Well, I got them in...they are designed with no set screw---just tap them onto the tapered receiver. Now I can use my hatbox full of leftover Leupold rings! Admittedly, the Talley set I put on that AV '06 had set screws, don't know if they were needed, but since this is a .243 I'll chance it. :)

To prevent rust, yet have tight mounts, do I use something like Outers TriLube, etc and /or do I put a dab of Locktite in the grooves of the bases anyhow? I know, theoretically they tighten during recoil, minutely yes, but still get tighter. Am I worrying over nothing you Sako guys?

So are these Redfield bases just soposed to stay there by
A "friction fit" or what actually holds them? I think you lost
me?

Back