Gun show score!

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I picked up a table at a local gun show today. I had 25 odd pounds of reloading powders of different types, many I currently don’t use as well as a few duplicate die sets. I swear sometimes they must multiply on their own as I had three 223 rem dies and two small base 308, and no idea where most of them came from. I also had various odd lots of unopened bullets and a few guns I didn’t need anymore.

I was doing pretty good at the sale, was looking like I’d bring home a little cash, when the table next to me set down this rifle that I was instantly interested in. It was a Remington 700 in a McMillan game scout stock with PTG AICS mag well. It had a 26” heavy 1-7 Schneider p5 twist barrel and had been tried with an oversized bolt knob by Long Rifles Inc. it was chambered in 223 match. It had apparently been built for 5 class as the last two inches of barrel contour had been turned down to accept AppStore front sight.

At the end if they day after this thing had been poking me in the eye all day I asked the guy about it. It was a guy who shares a mutual friend with me. He had made it up for metallic sight long range shooting and had to admit his eyes weren’t up to it.

While not a that inthralled in the 223, this thing screamed fast twist 22-250 AI!!! Twisted fast enough to run 90s, and ability of AICS magazines leaving plenty of room for 22-250 COAL.

I think in the short term I’m going to have the barrel lopped back and threaded for my suppressor right at the step for the frontsight. Probably finish right at 25”.

I stuck a vortex viper PST GEN2 3-15x44 in low rings onto the 20moa rail. I think it should be a lot of fun.

546e937fe6d19b21fe4b65745b4bc52b.jpg

This took what would have been a good little windfall to a net gain of only $75. At least it didn’t cost me any!

Anyone play around with a fast twist 22-250 and heavies? Is it worth going AI vs standard 22-250?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, yes, the ever present danger lurking at the tables of gun shows. Still, it doesn't appear you were hurt. The rifle does have potential, for sure. Set up as a 22-250, it will be a great rifle. Nothing wrong with the 223, either.

One of our local shooters set up a 22-250 fast twist for NRA and F-class matches. It was quite impressive, but after burning out his barrel after only 2000 rounds, he went back to .223 Wylde and 80.5 Bergers for his next tube. Shot about the same scores with either one at 600 and 1000. MV becomes a little less important when you're slinging a super high BC out there a long ways. Might shave a point in the wind, but so will more practice time without burning up your rifling. You might be better off to keep the 26" tube and run a Wylde reamer in there.

Try some of the new H ELD-Ms. I'm pretty impressed with their performance vs traditional BTHP 80s.

Back