Another oldie.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
This is my Mom's 94 that I was planning on trying to kill a deer with this past yr until a bunch of enabler's on here got me fired up about killing one with Dad's old 348 instead. :grin:

Now that I killed one with the 348, well, of course I can't hardly wait to do it again. But this gun is definitely on the list as something that for me personally would be neat to kill a deer with, and I got a couple others I'd like to use. Not sure I'm gonna have enough tags!

Anyways, it's not hard to see why these guns were so popular for so long. About as handy as you can get. This one was shooting 1 1/4-1 1/2 groups at 50 yds last summer with some old factory shells so good to go for woods ranges. I removed the hood off the front so I get better light on the front sight.

You are correct that that is another great old rifle. Those Model 94s...

Nice rifle!

I've always had a soft spot for Winchester 94's.... But I've never owned one until now.

My best friend back in middle school had one in 30-30, I had a Marlin 336.... I always secretly liked his 94 better, lol.... Just felt better in my hands, and they still do.

My one older brother bought a 336 as his first gun and still has it. I personally feel the 336 is a bit more solid and better built gun, but the 94 is still the original classic and when they made that gun they got the feel and balance, right on the money.

Regardless this one was bought for my Mom to use yrs ago back in the early 70's. She hunted a couple yrs and it was put away. I aim to pay some homage by being drawed down on a deer with it sometime this late fall, Lord willing.

That is a commendable goal, Shade Tree. Surely will honour the memory of your mother.

Dr Mike, I don't remember getting a whole lot of A's in English so I might of used the wrong word there to signify showing some respect for. Both my parents are still living thank goodness and in their early 80's.

My Mom is about as old school as they get. After cutting up a deer and along with giving them whatever meat they want, I usually cut up the bones into maneable pieces and my Mom cooks them off to make mince meat with, and vegetable (deer) soup.

The other week I stopped out and Mom was in the cold basement sitting on a stool with towels spread out on her lap and plastic spread around on the floor busting up the last of the walnuts her and Dad gathered up last fall, by placing them on top of an old jack stand and tapping them with a hammer to get the "goodies" out as she calls them. They got 26 lbs worth of jarred up "goodies" That's a lot of work. :shock:

I recall cracking black walnuts. We used to gather them in gunny sacks to sell to the nut markets. Man, did your post bring back some distant memories. Mince pie? Yeah, I ate my share that my grandma made each year. Vegetable soup is still something that is common around our house. It is great that you are able to still visit with your mom and do things for her.

Though we don't make our own mince meat we have a local butcher shop we visit at Christmas time that makes mince meat and the wife makes mince meat pies for family and friends.
Nothing like a piece of hot Mince meat pie laced with a little alcoholic beverage.

It's fantastic that you help your elderly parents. So many forget what they do for us and become single minded and self centered.

The wife cooked off a beef neck bone the other day making vegetable soup from vegetables we grew,canned and froze.
The left over soup went into quart jars and into the freezer.
She also carried some to her 80yr old sister.
We all need to remember to take care of our elderly family members.
Heck I'm still helping my grown children also.

truck driver":3h1mf9hi said:
I'm still helping my grown children also.

Rodger, our children may leave home, but seldom do they cease to need us.

Man you guys are bringing back memories as my first whitetail was a doe that I anchored with a 30-30 and I have missed her twice running and then she went on a frozen slough and had to stop running when she slipped and stopped to regain her footing I shot her :shock:.
I then shot all my deer for the next few years with a 38-55 in a model 94 :wink:.
We still pick wild Saskatoon berries along with choke cherries in fact yesterday for breakfast my lovely wife made crepes with Saskatoons in them along with homemade bacon and sausages :wink:.
My kids were over for breakfast and it is just second nature for them to eat homemade meals at our home.
There is nothing wrong with old school in my opinion :lol:.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":3e7dk43o said:
Man you guys are bringing back memories as my first whitetail was a doe that I anchored with a 30-30 and I have missed her twice running and then she went on a frozen slough and had to stop running when she slipped and stopped to regain her footing I shot her :shock:.
I then shot all my deer for the next few years with a 38-55 in a model 94 :wink:.
We still pick wild Saskatoon berries along with choke cherries in fact yesterday for breakfast my lovely wife made crepes with Saskatoons in them along with homemade bacon and sausages :wink:.
My kids were over for breakfast and it is just second nature for them to eat homemade meals at our home.
There is nothing wrong with old school in my opinion :lol:.

Blessings,
Dan

Dan, we generally spend less than $200 a month on groceries and going out to eat (which we rarely do.) Deer meat, and chicken and fish, and vegetables and fruits we've canned, are the mainstays. Eggs from free range chickens every morning for breakfast. I feel we eat like kings but maybe I just don't know better. But to tell you the truth most times when we do go out to eat my wife and I are dissapointed. Lay out good money and we could've ate better at home. When the vast majority of all 3 of your meals everyday are made at home for a lot of yrs, eventually you get pretty good at it.

Dr Mike, I still eat mince meat pie pretty regular. I can make a meal out of good mince meat pie anytime of the day. When it's here I'd eat it for breakfast without a second thought. My wife makes a mince pie that rivals my Mother's and that's saying something, but my wife doesn't like it so she rarely makes it. I usually get it from my Mom or one of my sisters.

ST, I wish that we would only spend $200.00 per month on groceries but at this point we still have 2 grandchildren that Oma looks after :wink:. They go through a 4 litre jug of milk every 2 days I believe they are part bovine :mrgreen:.
We dine out likely twice a month mostly Saturday morning breakfast :mrgreen:, but other than that we stick close to home.
This coming spring we are going to purchase a steer from my Nephew and get it cut and wrapped. It will be split 4 ways with my 3 kids but cost normally don't get split quite as equally :shock:!
We are again are going to start making our own sausage including beef & pork this way we can control the ingredients (y) .

Blessings,
Dan

Ridgerunner665":24vxj5ae said:
Nice rifle!

I've always had a soft spot for Winchester 94's.... But I've never owned one until now.

My best friend back in middle school had one in 30-30, I had a Marlin 336.... I always secretly liked his 94 better, lol.... Just felt better in my hands, and they still do.

At some point in time, Winchester made changes in the M94 that I wonder were not for the better. We all know about the cost cutting measures when they made changes to the Pre64 M70 but they also did some changes to the M94 as well. Most I can somewhat live with but the one that gripes me the most is the change in the drop of the stock. I can compare two M94s, one made in 1911 and the other in 1981. I can take a snap shot with the 1911 gun and the sights are spot on what I plan to shoot as quite a few deer learned to their surprise. Try that with the 1981 gun and the sights are nowhere near anything. I had to remove the rear sight and replace it with a receiver sight to achieve the same results. For spits and grins I switched stocks on the two rifles prior to replacing the rear sight and there was no change on how the sights aligned with my eye. Finally, measurements showed there was noticeably less drop on the stock of the later issue rifle.
Frankly, I don't shoot either one very much anymore and when I do it's usually with a cast bullet load for fun. I also have two M64's, a very neat rifle that was probably a lot more popular on the East Coast. IIRC, gun rags of the day called it "The Deer Rifle". Just an M94 with 24" barrel, half magazine and the stock and forearm designed by Col. Townsend Whelen. FWIW, those praising the M71, it's the other Winchester he designed the woodwork for. The two M64's I have, one made in 1938 and the other in 1957 shortly before they dropped the model, are also quite different in quality most noticeably in the lever. The 1938 rifle has it fitting flush against the stock while the 1957 fun has about a 1/8" gap.
Paul B.

Back