Working Guns

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
My work guns. The 1911 was used a LOT more than the AR-15. I provided my own firearms during my career, so they stayed with me when I retired from law enforcement almost 4 years ago:

jQxaHGXl.jpg

Guy

I didn't stay with the same working pistol all the time like you did Guy. I started out with a S&W Model 28 357 magnum. Then I went a Beretta 92 in 40 S&W. The last few years I settled on a Springfield Armory XD-40 for my regular carry and a sub-compact of the same model for back-up and off duty.

I opted to not purchase my own AR even though we could. I shot the silly old Ruger Mini-14 very well and in fact won a couple different competitions we had with it during various SWAT training courses. I shot it using the original sights and wood stock with many of the folks I competed against using scopes and other low power optics. I also had a Remington 870 pump shotgun in my duty vehicles.

Like you Guy the side-arm was relied on a lot more of the time I think because it's always with us where the other weapons typically come out in specialty situations or ones more fraught with bad situations. Like you I had a cousin of your green machine in .308 that saw lots of specialty calls. It was a good firearm that could be depended upon to hold zero and a person could make shots with if they had to.

Looks like your old 1911 has some patina to it!!

David

My working gun when guiding was my BLR in 358 Win and when working alone performing pipeline and geophysical inspections as a Compliance & Enforcement Inspector was a Remington 870 12 gauge.

I had a few similar to Guys. I did not get to keep mine when I retired though although I was able to buy a Kimber 1911 when they built our first batch of them in 2003.

Mine all belonged to the PD. Initially I carried a Sig 226. Then we went to Glocks, I carried a 21. About 2001 I promoted to Lt. For some reason they gave me Firearms, Use of force, Defensive tactics. Shortly there after the officers had their choice of 4 different platforms, including 1911.
Finished my career carrying a Springfield TRP.
Patrol cars were outfitted with Colt M4 equipped with EOTEC Optics, and an 870 set up for less lethal.
In SWAT I had an M4, H&K MP5 SD; a pistol gripped 870 and an HS Precision 308, Leupold optics, in my locker. The 870 was always in my pack, well just cause you never know when you might need a sawed of shotgun.
When I retired they asked if I wanted a pistol or a fly rod. I took the engraved fly rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm giving away my age here but upon joining the PD I was issued a "very" used S&W model 10 using the 158 grain round nose lead bullet. Not sure of the exact date but when we finally switched over to Semi-Autos we were again issued S&W in 9MM. I believe that may have been a model 59. I was a firearms instructor at that time and training the department on the change over from Revolvers to Semi Autos was a "hoot" (and a few other words I won't mention). I carried that weapon a number of years and it got me out of some serious "scrapes". When I made Detective Sgt. I was issued a S&W model 659 (short version of the 59) and carried that till I retired. My vehicle had an 870 Remington 12 gauge 18 inch barrel sitting in the trunk and that also came in handy on some occasions. I also purchased a P226 and carried it frequently instead of the 59. My Lieutenant happened to spot it in my holster and asked if it was a 9MM. I said yes and no more mention was made of it. (I felt it was a more reliable firearm).

Nothing hi-tech on my side. A Taurus 66 357M was my go-to for almost 3 decades. Traveled all across this great nation and it was always close to hand.

It was just a couple of years ago I switched to a 380 as my travel carry. Sold the 66 to my brother (cheap), so it's still in the family.

I do have a 1911 as my home Oh-Hell-No-You-Don't !

When I started, the issue gun was an S&W Model 15 stoked with 3-D 125 JHP's but the department was in the midst of transitioning to the 686. I carried the 686 for a short time until we convinced the chief to allow us to carry personally owned autos. It had to be 9mm and either a Sig, Glock, Beretta, or Smith. I bought a P226 and carried it for a year after which they opened up the caliber selection and I bought a Sig 220 in 45. I carried this until 1995 when the department chose Sig P229's as an issue gun and carried those until 2017 when they adopted Sig P320's in 40. I had retired by then.

We always had 870's in our cars and in later years the department allowed us to buy our own AR's and I bought a Bushmaster Dissipator. I still have my Bushmaster, and all of my Sig duty pistols. I tried to buy my S&W 15 when they were traded in but missed it at the gunshop by half an hour. I bought a 15 many years later, though.

The 686's we had were junk. One guy's, when he took it out of the sealed box, had the entire rear sight assembly fall off and another's wouldn't fire when he took it to the range for qualification. The bushing was too small and wouldn't let the firing pin through to hit the primer.

Ron

As a 1911 fan, I was ecstatic when I learned that the PD issued stainless Colt Government Model 1911's, and authorized privately owned .45 1911's.

This is an interesting thing here in the Northwest, the 45 1911 is a favored pistol.

My department went straight from 357 mag S&W Model 19 revolvers, to the 45 Colt Gov't model in the 1980's. Skipped the whole 9mm thing then.

Later Glocks were the issue firearm, in 40 & 45, but I kept a number of the old 45 Colt pistols for any officer who wanted one and could shoot it well.

These days a number of northwest departments authorize the 45 1911. Tacoma in particular actually issued Kimbers as a general purpose sidearm! (y) I don't know that they still do that, don't have any contacts in Tacoma anymore.

Oddly, in some law enforcement circles the 1911 is seen as a dangerous and archaic beast. Others love it for the accurate and reliable handgun it is. Yes, I'm prejudiced.

Guy

Guy,

Love that old Kimber of yours.
What Leupold model scope is mounted on the AR 15?

JD338

Guy, we still allow 1911's. Tacoma went away from the Kimber 1911's a few years ago when they switched to all Gen 4 Glocks. But they do have the option of 9, 40 or 45. We just went from issuing a .40 to the Gen 5 9mm Glock, but can carry personnel guns in 9, 40, 45, .38/357.

Lefty - I hoped you pop in here since you're currently working and I've become a retired cop! :) Thanks for the update.

JD338 - that's a little Leupold I've been Very Pleased with. Seems to be one heck of a scope for the money:

1.5-4x, "Mark AR"

Here's the newer version at SWFA: https://swfa.com/leupold-15-4x20-mark-a ... 06667.html

The ballistic turret seems to be perfect for 55 gr fmj ammo. The "Fire Dot" illuminated reticle works like a champ.

I can use it on 1.5x with both eyes open and be just as fast, or faster than I am with sights.

Or I can dial it up to 3 or 4 power and it works well at longer distances. I was very happy with the rifle & scope in my patrol car the last couple of years I worked.

Guy

My trusty Rock River 1911 .45 acp will get me back to the cruiser so I can get my Windham AR to finish the fight. Our PD allows you to carry any handgun you can qualify with, between 38 and 45 cal. I qualify with three diffetent 1911s, AR 15, and Mossberg 12 ga pump. I have never understood the fear so many departments have for the 1911. It has three safeties, the glock only has one, and it can quickly fall apart under stress.

My trusty Rock River 1911 .45 acp will get me back to the cruiser so I can get my Windham AR to finish the fight. Our PD allows you to carry any handgun you can qualify with, between 38 and 45 cal. I qualify with three diffetent 1911s, AR 15, and Mossberg 12 ga pump. I have never understood the fear so many departments have for the 1911. It has three safeties, the glock only has one, and it can quickly fall apart under stress.

Guy the only working gun I have is the one I purchased when I was in the Marine Corps a Colt .45 Satin Nickel. I had to check it in and out of the armory as I lived on base just like my M16. I liked carrying my own .45 Colt instead of being issued one.
That was many days ago but I still have it and carry it some times in the winter.

Back