Safari Rifle Challenge, Montana

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Copied from the 24 Hour Campfire Forum. I've wanted to participate in this for a couple of years, and this year, I've got the opportunity. Very modest entry fee and registration sent!

Bring your big rifles! I think I'm bringing both the Number One and the Win 70, and a fair bit of ammo! :)

0T8w83Gl.jpg

Safari Rifle Challenge
World Championships in Libby, Montana
Saturday June 9, 2018 8am - 4pm

The Event: This is a family oriented shoot featuring both life size and moving targets. It is designed to simulate events encountered on an African Safari. Targets will be scored and times will be announced, but since all prizes are awarded by random drawing, you will be competing purely for the glory of sport! Participants will be expected to cheerfully help with reset of targets, powering the moving targets and any other menial labor that may be necessary for the greater good. ALL shooters must be at least 18yrs old and pre-registered. There is a $20 participation fee which will also entitle you to a commemorative match hat.

The Guns: This is a big bore, dangerous game rifle shoot. Essentially .375/9.3 caliber or larger cartridges in single shot, bolt action or double rifles with minimum muzzle energy of 4000 ft/lb. If you have an antique double rifle in a smaller caliber that is capable of taking big game then bring it! Paradox guns firing single lead balls will also be allowed. Sorry, but no handguns, pump or semi-automatic firearms. You will need about 30 rounds.
ABSOLUTELY NO LIGHT LOADS!

The Rules: All guns will be placed in the racks with actions open. When it is your turn to shoot, you will be directed to get your rifle by the range master. SAFETY AND MUZZLE CONTROL ARE NON-NEGOTIABLE! The start position will generally be low ready with a round in the chamber, finger off the trigger and the safety on, unless otherwise directed by range staff. A range master “PH” will stay beside you at all times while on the course. On most stages, there will be a limited amount of ammunition allowed in your gun when starting the stage, extra rounds will have to be loaded from the belt, pocket, butt stock etc. We reserve the right to change the course of fire based on our disposition, your disposition, the untimely demise of the targets, comments from the peanut gallery, weather or whatever other factors may be present. All distances are approximate and subject to change.

The Course of fire: Shooting positions will vary from standing on your hind legs and shooting offhand, to kneeling and seated. Frequently it will be a combination of positions. Some stages may require the use of shooting sticks which will be provided. Many stages will require you to fire at a target, move to another spot, reload and then fire at a second target. All movement will be done with an empty gun and all reloading will be done once you are safely at the next shooting position. If you have any physical issues that preclude a certain activity we will cheerfully accommodate you.

The 10 stage course is specifically designed to NOT favor any particular style of rifle or sight system. Distances will vary between 5 and 75+ yards. Targets will vary from life-size broadside buffalo and elephant heads to clay birds, water jugs and steel gongs.
Location: Libby Shooting Sports Complex on Farm to Market Rd. across from the Libby Airport.

Shooting starts at 8 am SHARP! Please arrive plenty early to check in and get setup. Remember to bring lawn chairs, hat and sunscreen, food and drinks (NO ALCOHOL ON RANGE PROPERTY). Water and soft drinks will be available for purchase in the clubhouse.

Please email safaririflechallengeyahoo.com to sign up or request more information.

Sounds like a great place for an orthopedist and an optometrist to do a little marketing. Where else are you going to find so many AC Joint separations and Detatched Retinas in one place?

That shoots looks like a hoot (except for the recoil).

That does look like a great deal of fun. For sure, it'll be great exercise at preparing to hunt.

That looks great Guy! Good luck this year. I’d like to try that with the old mauser 9.3. Someday maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a lot of Fun. Guy a Gentleman I use to shoot Trap with when he was getting ready to go to Africa he took his .375 H&H out and shot ground squirrels with it for practice.
Have a great time Guy

Man that looks fun! Hope they don't start having them around me, I might have to rebarrel an M17. May never go on a safari, but it would be fun to have an excuse to own such a rifle!

Guy I don't have one of those big boomers like you do! Yes that shoot does sound like a lot of fun. If nothing else it would be fun to watch.

I'll just throw this out there. If you wanted company I might be talked into going up with you. If you didn't want to stay in a motel I would not object at all to pulling my camper up from Missoula. We could stay in the camper at a campground nearby and do a little fishing maybe if you wanted to stay a couple extra days and see some more of Montana. I would be your guide so to speak!

Another thought would be this http://www.marbut.com/Rifle/ The Potomac rifle shoot that they try and hold on the third Saturday of each month from about April or May up until September or October. I went and watched this one and it was a lot of fun and would be excellent practice also. Especially if you are planning a big SAFARI!! I do have several rifles that I could take to this one!! Read the rules of the shoot. It's very practical and is closely related to shots a person might have hunting.

Guy Miner":1sg17no0 said:
taylorce1":1sg17no0 said:
My buddy did that shoot 2 years ago with his 1903 sporter in .400 Whelen.

That's cool. Interesting rifle! (y)

I think he's planning on going back this year. He posts on Accurate Reloading goes by his last name on there "snellstrom", if you go maybe you'll run into him.

David - that Safari shoot is a tight weekend for me, I have a pistol class to teach here in Wenatchee on Sunday, so after the shooting is done on Saturday in Libby, I need to scoot for home.

That other match you posted a link to - wow - that looks perfect! I could see bringing the 25-06 or the 30-06 and shooting the Hunter Class just fine! I think it would be dandy prep/practice for hunting, and an awful lot of fun. Rommel should shoot the Precision class! :)

Taylorce1 - I just might run into him!

Guy

Back