ladies/youth big game caliber

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
The ladies and young people in Europe, according to several articles, have always liked the

6.5 x 55, 7 x 57, and at the top end the 308 for Elk, Moose, etc. However it appears the 7mm-08 is now getting the lions share of the market when a hunting rifle is being bought for a wife, daughter, or young man

How about in North America. What would you or did you buy for your wife and/or children, as their big game rifle. I recently bought a 7mm-08 for my granddaughter.

My wife shoots a.270 Win. and 6.5 Creedmoor, daughter shoots .270 WBY with a muzzle brake and grand daughter shoots a 6.5 Creedmoor and .270 Win.

I bought my son a 7-08 for his first big game rifle a few years ago and another 7-08 a couple years after that. He's done a lot of hunting with it and likes it better than his .270. I've even borrowed his rifle a couple of times to shoot a caribou or two.

I could be pretty happy with one for almost anything, but as a low-recoil killing stick they are a fantastic choice and widely available in appropriate sized rifles for small statured folks. With good bullets- elk and moose aren't really out of the range of reasonable. I wouldn't hesitate to tackle a moose with one with a good presentation and a quality bullet the chamber.

I think the 6.5 will bite into that market a bit...but after using both- I can't say there's a lot of difference in recoil or game killing potential.

Hard to go wrong with the 6.5x55, 6.5 Creedmoor or 7mm-08 these days for women or youth. Quite frankly for men as well, most animals don't require a cannon to bring them down. The 270 Win kicks a bit more but there are a ton of factory loads for it and I really appreciate mine. My wife has a 6.5x55 and I also have a 260 Rem, both are quite enjoyable to shoot and do the job nicely.

A 6mm Remington (DUH!) was my son's first big game rifle. He also now has a 300 WSM for the larger stuff. My wife when she hunted shot a 25-06 in a Remington Mountain Rifle and she shot it very well.

Almost any rifle cartridge in the class of the 260 Rem and the .308 Win will work. I believe it is far more important that the rifle fit the individual shooting. People can handle some amazing cartridges if the stock design mitigates the recoil and the stock fits the frame. For first time shooters, there is no reason to plan to frighten or hurt those shooting. Ensure that the shooter is wearing good hearing protection and properly fitted shooting glasses. They don't need to shoot a full house load at the first. Focus on accuracy and confidence with the rifle rather than what some refer to as "loudenboomer."

My kids and wife have clobbered a half-dozen big game animals, and several coyotes, over the past three years... all with a .260.

My son stepped-up to an 18” barreled 7/08 this winter for elk... but didn’t get any shot opportunities.

.260/6.5 Creed is a great place to start... and the 7/08 is as good an all-around caliber as you can find. Both seem to kill well above their pay-grade... given good bullets. Neither will beat a kid/lady to death.... provided good rifle fit and basic shooting skills.

A 6.5 running 100 grainer at 3100 is a pussycat to shoot... and will flatten deer/antelope for as far as you can shoot. A 7/08 with a 140 TTSX is capable of blowing a bullet through A LOT of critter hide, bone, and clockwork.... I’ve seen it do some pretty heavy lifting.

I’ve had more fun the past three years, watching my wife and teenaged kids hunt and kill big game.... than I had in the past 20 hunting solo. I was, and still am to some degree, very cautious of recoil and blast... I know it only takes one bad experience to wreck years of well groomed habits.

elkhunternm":338qwksn said:
My wife has a Remington M700 in a .280 Rem.

An excellent and sensible cartridge. I would be hard pressed to imagine a cartridge that I enjoy more than the 280 Rem. Shooting some pretty modest loads, mine has accounted for a wide variety of game animals for many years.

I am in love with my .308 accurate, low recoil, lots of different powders and bullets available. What could go wrong?

Brandon got a 243, 7x57, and eventually a 300 Wby.

Dyl started with a 222 Rem, and has graduated to a 7-08 shooting 120 BTs at 2500. I like the 7-08/7x57.. pretty fun and easy to make them recoil easy and they are pretty mild even with full steam stuff.

When my soon to be bride took an interest in shooting, I started her off with the 257 Roberts. She expressed an interest in having her own rifle and I was leaning heavily towards the 7-08. I lucked into a Nosler M48 Heritage in 280 AI that she absolutely loves to shoot and is hitting the steel gongs at 600 yards consistency off the bench.
Recoil is not an issue for her with this set up, even with the 160 gr PT at 2900 fps.

JD338

DrMike":2h10rkjc said:
Almost any rifle cartridge in the class of the 260 Rem and the .308 Win will work. I believe it is far more important that the rifle fit the individual shooting. People can handle some amazing cartridges if the stock design mitigates the recoil and the stock fits the frame. For first time shooters, there is no reason to plan to frighten or hurt those shooting. Ensure that the shooter is wearing good hearing protection and properly fitted shooting glasses. They don't need to shoot a full house load at the first. Focus on accuracy and confidence with the rifle rather than what some refer to as "loudenboomer."

Dr Mike, excellent post/point's. This is exactly what I express to the young people I work with.

however, since my first rifle was a used 30-06, using store bought ammo, it is amazing that I did not starve to death

I started my boy out with a 308. I can load it from mouse loads to moose and even bison legal. My daughter has a 25 WSSM and my wife has a 270 win.

I would be hard pressed to do anything other than 308 for a starter given a choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife, with my guidance, purchased a .308Win Savage M11. She is left handed, so our options in an affordable rifle were limited (she was still in college, and we were just getting started). There was also a possibility of drawing a moose tag, so we wanted something with enough horsepower to handle that game. Being able to practice with (at the time) low cost 7.62 NATO ammo was a bonus, as she was new to rifle shooting and needed plenty of practice. With a slightly reduced 150 gr loading, it was mild to shoot and plenty capable on deer sized game. A 150 gr Barnes would have been the moose load. We did work up to full power loads one summer. She handled them fine in small doses, but they were definitely above her limit for frequent practice shooting. With the new upgraded stock on her rifle, it is much more comfortable for her to shoot. Most importantly, her accuracy from field positions has improved dramatically with the improved fit.

With todays options and a better financial situation, 7mm-08 would be my choice with moose now off the table. If I could find a LH 6.5x55, that would be even better, but not sure if such a beast exists outside of a custom rifle. If moose were again an option, a .308 would have to be added.

The first rifle I got my wife was a 243 and she loved it. Eventually she moved up to a 270 but I was glad she started with something smaller and easier to handle

I have never owned either but have almost owned both at one time or another. I have shot both, as friends have both the 308 and 30-06. From shooting my friends rifles and from research, I was unable to find much difference in them. Educate me on why several here have said 308 and not 30-06 as I believe I would lean toward the 30-06, for myself and my wife thank you

hunternyny":2gtsl64g said:
T Educate me on why several here have said 308 and not 30-06 as I believe I would lean toward the 30-06, for myself and my wife thank you

It's a lot harder to find a .30-06 with stock dimensions that fit small statured folks than it is to find a .308 that's suitable.

Lots of "youth and ladies" rifles in short action cartridges, not so many in long actions.

When my girlfriend decided she wanted to deer hunt, I traded into a full sized Ruger American 7mm-08. I ordered separately a youth stock for it so she would have both options with the 22” barrel. The youth stock fits her well and she took her first deer with it last fall. Middle range load of IMR4350 and the 120 ballistic tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have nothing at all against the 7mm-08, I happen to think it's a great cartridge. What I am against is it being labeled as a "youth" rifle and being pushed on the market as such with gun sizes and weights to match the skinny little 9 yr old that dad buys it for. There's synthetic stocked short barreled 7mm-08's out there that barely break 6 lbs.

Now I'm no rocket scientist, but I can add up bullet weight, powder charge, and gun weight and pretty close know ahead of time what I'm going to be dealing with when I pull the trigger. A lightweight -08 with full powered loads for big game is a wrecking ball. A big game youth gun should be a low recoiling cartridge that is capable of tackling big game, which that cartridge certainly is in appropriate weight guns.

DrMike":3tj4ptdh said:
elkhunternm":3tj4ptdh said:
My wife has a Remington M700 in a .280 Rem.

An excellent and sensible cartridge. I would be hard pressed to imagine a cartridge that I enjoy more than the 280 Rem. Shooting some pretty modest loads, mine has accounted for a wide variety of game animals for many years.
I have a bunch of Hornady 139 grain and Winchester 150 grain bullets. She can learn to load her own modest loads (with help from me) that'll work for deer from the two bullets choices above.

Back