A few expensive or a lot, less expensive

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
whether it is a rifle, shotgun, handgun or all three.

I am back in Spain and arguing ( discussing ) with my usual group of hunting friends, of which all but myself and one other lady, are men. All over 60, and most over 70. Group represents retirees from Europe, Africa and North America. Just thought it was only right to advise you, who were speaking.

Also, as you will remember I already have been taken to the wood shed here on the forum for preferring wood and blue to all the cheap stuff made these days

With all that being said, it was nice to know I was not alone, albeit it we are all OLD people.

Everybody here all preferred quality over volume. Maybe three or four VERY nice, well made rifles to 20 inexpensive ones, but that is just one group and one OLD group to boot.

Toward the end of my hunting days I noticed I preferred and used a very select number of firearms and the ones I used were all custom rifles that "fit" me.

Do you prefer to own a few very nice, expensive rifles or a lot of less expensive rifles ?

I guess it depends on what you call expensive. P64’s are relatively expensive for me. For myself those are my expensive rifles that I really enjoy. On the other hand I have some Rugers, Tikkas and similar which are less expensive but no less useful and actually just as tough as anything else I own. I tend to like to try things out and see what works and what doesn’t. But if you know 2-4 Rifles are all you’d ever want then if that were me, they’d like be P64’s built and stocked the way I wanted.

I started out thinking I needed every caliber and the only way too do that on my salary was to buy very cheap used stuff and most of it never got used after the weekend I bought it.

Eventually I decided a Weatherby line up was for me and we sold everything and now have only 6 Weatherby's and one ( 300 ) is for sale-----------BUT, I admit we are hunters not shooters or even gun nuts, so to speak.

oh I forgot we do have a lever and a 22 in addition to our Weatherby's

April I don't own a lot of rifles for big-game. I have a Ruger 1B single-shot in 6mm and 30-06, and I do have a custom rifle I had built that is a 280 Ackley Improved. That is my most expensive rifle with all the gunsmith work, barrel, scope, trigger job, pillar & glass bedding I have about $3000.00 into it. I guess I can count a 22-250 in a Remington 700 that my father gave to me when he died also. Except for the Model 70 Classic Sporter in 280 AI I had built, the rest are just good quality rifles. Not least expensive and not the most. I do tend to lean towards paying a bit more and making sure it's a quality rifle and not something cheap, although some inexpensive stuff is pretty nice too.

Even though I don't need it, I still would like to have a 6mm Remington in a bolt action on a Mauser/Winchester Model 70 action. To that end I have been thinking about having one built by the Montana Rifle Company on their X2 platform which is similar to the Model 70 Extreme Weather rifle only with a few additional nice features added. That rifle would run about $1500.00.

My scopes tend to run towards the better optics too. I like Leupold VX3's and their fixed power scope such as their 6x42mm. Not the most expensive, but not cheap either with good excellent quality and warranty.

David

I'm in favor of being on the cheap side but I will need to explain that. I have only bought one brand new center fire rifle and won one in a raffle all my other rifles have been used and some could have been called a sow's ear which I turned into silk purses, 3 of which have been purchased off GB.
The 338Win Ruger M77 Hawkeye started life in a Tupperware stock and is now in a H-S Precision.
The 7mmRem M70 Tupperware factory stock now resides in a gray laminated stock, the 35 Whelen/AI M70 Tupperware factory stock is now in a B&C Medalist and there is a laminated stock that it was first fitted with but the B&C choose for lighter weight, The M77 30-06 is still in the original factory Ruger stock but the bedding has been modified, My prided and joy Rem M725 with it's custom Douglas barrel in 257 Roberts is in it's factory wood stock. The Weatherby Vanguard I sold also had the factory Tupperware stock replaced for a B&C.
I don't like fancy wood on my hunting rifles and would rather pay for performance over a pretty piece of wood that won't shoot worth a darn but I do appreciate a good looking rifle just don't care to own them.
I only owned one rifle for a long time and have bought more rifles since I came to this forum then I can use.
Dang enablers any way. :)>)

truck driver":2fcmk0xc said:
I only owned one rifle for a long time and have bought more rifles since I came to this forum then I can use.
Glad we can help! One rifle at a time................ :lol:

6mm Remington":1myum89p said:
truck driver":1myum89p said:
Glad we can help! One rifle at a time................ :lol:
NO MASS David NO MASS!!!! :wink:

Gee I forgot to include my hand guns which cost more than my rifles and ranged from $1000 to $2500 most custom built for precision competition shoot.
Rifles were for hunting and expected to be abused but unintentionally.

Interesting discussion.

I know several folks with three digit collections..the bulk of which are relatively inexpensive pieces like the Glenfield variant of the Marlin Model 60 or the Sears or Western Auto branded shotguns. It's not a poke at the usefulness of such items...I just never saw the point in having a hundred or more of them floating around. The guys buying them just can't pass up a deal at a garage sale or gun show and attract inexpensive, neglected and frequently broken firearms the way a magnet is drawn to iron.

My collection (if you want to call it such) pretty well stabilized early on around a certain number and type, but the individual pieces have gotten more expensive (possibly better) as I've upgraded them over time. For example- my primary hunting rifle was a Marlin 30-30 which became a Remington 700 ADL, which I later upgraded to a Kimber 84M, which I later upgraded to a Nosler 48. The Nosler was 6 times the price of the ADL, and in my estimation- it's 6x better than having five more ADLs clogging up the safe that more or less do the same thing. I've made the same progression from a single shot H&R to a Remington 870 Express to a Benelli M2 and from Taurus 44mag to Smith and Wesson 329 with iterative stops along the way for each.

I tend to like at least one reasonable sample of-
1 varmint/predator rifle
1 big game rifle
1 "spare" big game rifle
1 large bore revolver
1 shotgun
1 .22LR rifle

To keep life interesting- I keep one "novelty" gun around, something to tinker with that I'm not particularly attached to that I may trade or sell to pick up something different. At various times that novelty piece has been a big bore rifle, a small gauge shotgun or a handgun depending on what I'm finding interesting at the time. In all fairness, I've slowed my roll on this as I've crested middle age- preferring to upgrade my son's hunting equipment instead of chasing my own interests.

At one point, my "collection" grew when my son became interested in shooting and hunting but at some point- those will leave the nest when he does. I also have a small number of heirloom guns that were handed down through the family that I rarely shoot or hunt with but can't part ways with for purely sentimental reasons. I'm guessing at some point my meager arms will join those and follow the name on down the line.

I think my two Kimber rifles are the most expensive I own. I had a Sako but sold it. That's about the max I would go on a production gun. I wouldn't mind having one custom job and wouldn't be afraid to use it but don't know if that'll ever happen. I don't have any of the newer, very inexpensive guns that the company's are making today. I prefer wood stocks and the newer stuff just doesn't appeal to me much. Maybe for something like a predator/varmint gun, but doubt I'd get one beyond that.

In the end I'd take a few well built guns vs multiple inexpensive ones.

Somehow over the years I've ended up with quite a few firearms. Wasn't really my intent, but, there they are.

I have few firearms that were expensive to me. Mostly I want a good gun. Solid. Reliable. Well made. Accurate. I've read this kind of firearm referred to as "Honest Guns" by John Barsness. I like that.

For instance my little 30-30 Glenfield is an inexpensive gun. Scarred by use. Not fancy at all, but reliable, easy to carry, and perfect for the purpose intended.
P46HFGVl.jpg

Likewise my most-used hunting rifles, the 25-06 & 30-06 Remington 700 CDL's. Good rifles. Not cheap. Not expensive. They're the rifles I rely on most frequently when hunting, and have done very well.

I'd say that though I have somehow accumulated a modest collection of handguns, shotguns and rifles, I really do prefer to just have a few good guns. Reliable. Well made. Smooth working. Accurate.

I could happily use this Browning for all my bird hunting. I'd have said the same thing for the semi-auto Beretta that preceded it by 15+ years. Both are good guns, the Browning is much "fancier."
Bia8lGFl.jpg

For hunting purposes in North America, I'd be fine with the pair of 700 CDL's:
O9aCm73l.jpg

OVkVXLnl.jpg

But I'd sure dislike giving up my 30-30, and I'm not yet ready to sell off the 375's.

Regards, Guy

For me I'd rather own one custom built gun, and a high end scope then the majority of the stuff I see at the gun store.

Great parts put together by a even better gunsmith is tough to beat IMO. Even a mild caliber will get the job done when used correctly. I have seven rifles, three are for hunting, and three are precision long range tactical rifles, the odd number being a 223 bolt gun. Plus three AR's in 5.56 for a total of ten, and of those three I'd like to sell the H&K MR556A1.

While I really like nice wood on a rifle, I am afraid to carry a beautiful firearm on everyday hunts and beat up the stock. So many of my firearms wear laminate stocks, in either factory or aftermarket form. I am starting to acquire more expensive firearms with nicer wood though...and I only have 2 firearms with synthetic stocks; a working 12 ga (Benelli M2) and my custom Remington 700 XCR LH in 280 Rem has a second stock (XCR) for tough hunt conditions so as to keep the factory pepper laminate stock in nice condition.

While it would be easier to have fewer firearms, I still have enough interest in acquiring new rifles and cartridges that I have yet had a chance to experience, shoot and hunt with. It is also an affliction of eclectic taste, that I like and am fascinated by trying cartridges that are not just run of the mill these days!

Oh - and I've got an interesting informal program going...

I give my son one of my rifles. Then there's a gap in my lineup and I need to fill it.

Gave him the 6mm Rem, bought the 25-06 to replace it.

Gave him the 1917 30-06, bought the 30-06 Rem 700 to replace it...

Working pretty well so far. :mrgreen:

Guy Miner":3e26rf6d said:
Oh - and I've got an interesting informal program going...

I give my son one of my rifles. Then there's a gap in my lineup and I need to fill it.

Gave him the 6mm Rem, bought the 25-06 to replace it.

Gave him the 1917 30-06, bought the 30-06 Rem 700 to replace it...

Working pretty well so far. :mrgreen:
I'll help you out with that. You give me one of your rifles, and then you can buy a new one. Aren't I a nice guy? :grin:

The level of consideration witnessed on this site leaves me breathless at times.

Guy, I like your method. My problem is once I know they take them I’ll be in love with them so I’m always looking to fill the gap before it even happens!

It’s a horrible problem!

Guy Miner":3m8xvavk said:

Gave him the 6mm Rem, bought the 25-06 to replace it :

I liked my Remington 700 BDL 6mm Rem to much because of the mile's I have carried it, so I bought my Son the New Remington 700 CDL in 25-06 Rem.

If I started over I would have fewer but nicer.

Fun topic.

I have a couple cheap savages around 243win, and 3006, 223Rem, 22-250. First two were gifted, last two bought from a late friends estate.

A M70EWS 300WM.

I’d sell all the savages. I would not sell the M70.

I would like to get some thing bigger and smaller than the 30 cal.

I’d keep the 22-250 rem, would not the 223 or 243::::

Just my likes.

Need to think about it more

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back