New Sako 85 replaces the Tikka T3

35 Whelen

Handloader
Dec 22, 2011
After working on a Sako 85M last month and a lot of drooling I decided to sell my little T3 in 270
And upgrade it with the Sako Finnlight. I am certain it will not shoot any better, than my Tikka's;
@1/2" at 100 yds. But it does have a bunch of things, I wanted in my go to gun. Much nicer stock,
Control feed, metal bottom metal. Safety that allows you to unload with the safe ON, were all big
Issues with me, I am really pleased with it in all ways and it will now become my everyday squeeze
starting in Nov. It weighes in right at 7.25 lbs with a scope on it.20180220_104259.jpg I think it's going to be a
real beauty! (y)

Thanks Cole! The moment I handled the other Finnlight I knew I was in trouble, I kept comparing them and tryed to talk myself out of it........ then I casually mentioned I might be interested in selling the Tikka and a friend asked how much , I told him and he said "sold". So then I had no choice!!! :lol:

Sako does build a fine rifle for sure. I have not had the pleasure of shooting one, but have drooled on several! So what caliber did you go with???

Very nice E! I’m glad you got what you wanted. My only Sako is an old 222 Rem Mag but growing up if you heard Sako you instantly thought “shooter”. Most times you weren’t wrong.

6mm Remington":14pyh4lv said:
Sako does build a fine rifle for sure. I have not had the pleasure of shooting one, but have drooled on several! So what caliber did you go with???

Hopefully another 270 Winchester.... jeeze, it’s only been the best out there since 1925... took a few years to neck that old grandpa down to perfection :lol:

I just bought the exact same rifle in a 30-06 two weeks ago. We'll have to compare loading notes as we get these rifles ready for hunting seasons. Good luck

Yep Scotty/6mmRem: It is another .270 caliber so basically just an upgrade from the T3 series on over to their 85 series gun.IMG_2197.JPG
I am taking at bit of a risk here in that the Tikka shot the Nosler ABLR bullets nicely, so with fingers crossed
I hope this one will to ??? And for some reason if I close my eyes and handle the gun, because it balances so perfectly, and possibly because the clip doesn't protrude; it sorta feels in my hand kinda Model 70 FW ish in many ways........
Of course if it "won't shoot" the ABLR bullets I will have painted myself into the corner, as I am really feeling nowadays, the moment you leave the "deer size" arena, Or plan on going out past 300 yds; that the Nosler ABLR bullet will become our "go too projectile": For either Moose or Elk on long shots; if you don't have the ABLR's I think the ship has probably sailed without ya? Inside of 300 the 160 Partitions have worked for years and it's all we ever used.
Gerry: I actually prefer the looks of the Stainless Finnlight in the Gun cabinet with its " 2 tone look"20180220_113540.jpg but I always wind up wrapping my SS guns in Camo tape to actually hunt them........... in the field this Blackout Finish will definitely get the nod. (y) IMG_2200.PNG The stainless
Finnlight seams to weigh almost 4oz less than the blackout so after tearing them down, I found it! The floorplate on the stainless gun is aluminum at 1.5 oz the
Black out has a 4.5oz steel bottom metal! And 1oz less barreled action, bigger hole in the same barrel contour?
Congrats 270elk on your 06 that is the caliber of the SS model 85 I have here, and if I didn't already own an 06 in my old Model 70 Featherweight ATR I would have definitely bought this 85 in 06!
Comparing them both last nite, and the 85 weighes 3/4 of a pound less than the model 70, this is a
"High Country Hunters" dream rifle. I am using Leupold ring mounts in Lows that will need to be modifyed on the rear one for a .150 pin so its exactly like the Sako ring mounts, both are too heavy so I will skeletonize them on the Bridgeport and get them as light as we can!IMG_2219.JPG I now soooo wish we had had something like this back in the day when I was guiding sheep hunters in the Brooks Range sacking around an old Ruger 77 red pad
In 7RM that weighed almost 10 lbs loaded!!!

Very nice Earle! I have no doubt based on my two Tikka's that the Sako will shoot well. I believe they are produced in the same factory. Every Sako new or used I've ever picked up just seems to be a quality, well built firearm. The Sako is definitely an upgrade in certain areas to the Tikka, but I sure like my two Tikka's. Good luck with load development and let us know how it shoots. Bret

Bret,
The Tikka is far and away the best value, will outshoot almost any production rifle, extreame lightweight gun going. I may pick up another T3x in 7/08 if I cant find another Venture for half price! I am still a 110% Tikka fan!IMAGE00148.jpg Here
is my little "Sweede" tack driver.
The 85 was just a weak moment.......... I just lost my way momentarily? :wink:

I have the best of both worlds. A sako 85 stainless finnlight in 6.5 Swede great little rifle.

I have my very first Sako 85 sitting here. Kodiak model in .375 H and H. Very well built rifle. Best steel to wood fit up I've seen in a recently built rifle. Wish it was a lefty.

That Kodak would get the nod from me, if I were still guiding brown bear hunters in Alaska, and I have always
Had a love affair with the 375 ouch n ouch. It's the classic bear caliber! Guides dream gun.....
IMG_2315.PNG

Stop posting pictures. I am getting in the mood for one!

Earle as usual you make perfect sense on your upgrade :wink:. I have shot a few Sakos and they are likely the top factory rifle that I have shouldered :wink:.
Fotis as far as you getting in the mood to purchase another rifle I think a light westerly breeze would get you in that same mood :lol:.

Blessings,
Dan

Lol, or even a stiff Southerly!
Honestly Dan I have never handled a rifle that feels as good to me as this new Sako 85 M. It's absolutely perfect IMHO
E
IMG_2313.JPG

Earle, we have already talked about the Sako, but dont remember whether on not I mentioned that my preference is the 85 Bavarian. I have had several and prefer the Bavarian, but they are all nice. I had, ( well my son still has it ) a 308 Bavarian Carbine that I really liked as does my granddaughter.

You picked up a very nice rifle, congratulations Earle

Dr Mike, I am still where I told you I would be and so far, so good. They are allowing me to go to an area and use the laptop on occasion now, so that is nice LOL

You guys all hate wood so you would really hate the Bavarian Carbine---waaaay to much wood, but I am old and a bit eccentric so I like it

I had always wanted to shoot a rifle with one of those type of stocks, but so far have not had the opportunity . They seem to be more popular in Europe than here.

Your "dig" about wood stocks did not escape me April

Earle, you have some nice rifles, best of luck with your new Sako

Back