22-250 AI IN PROGESS

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
68a5e9434e2a2d1313892c98c41b668d.jpg

2efaf3e36f9abc2edf5edef3825735e9.jpg

Got the dies, now I just need to send the rifle down to Long Rifles Inc for the metal work.

Getting following done
-bolt faces opened up and AR15 style extractor
-rechambered in 22-250 AI
-threaded for suppressor with cap

Considering the following
-fluting barrel in wrought iron pattern
-side bolt release
-bolt fluting to match barrel

Anyone else out there running a fast twist 22-250?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not running a 22-250, but that one sounds like a gem. It'll be fascinating to see what it does when you get it finished.

Nope, but that's a cool looking rifle! What twist and barrel are you using, Game scout stock, who's bottom metal?

If my state allowed .22 centerfire rifles for hunting, I'd twist some up pretty fast and play with them. Don't know if I'd play with the .22-250, the Valkyrie looks interesting. Since they don't I go with fast twist 6mm rifles, a lot of good bullets for the 6mm these days.

It’s a Schneider P5 1-7 twist barrel. PTG magwell. Just didn’t make sense to put a 223 cartridge in all that AICS magazine real estate.

I think this will make a dandy wolf/predator rifle, might even punch a caribou in the ribs with it. The 75gr swift scirocco looks pretty good. To bad there are no other game bullets in heavy .224s.

Maybe a nosler 90gr LRAB!

That 90 grain LRAB should be plenty for most medium game. My daughter killed a few deer with the .223 when she started hunting, and my buddies boy took three deer this year with the .223 as well. Made me a believer in what a .224 caliber can do with the right bullet choice.

You going to have Mr Dixon throat it special? I heard good things about the 6mm throat he uses on his rifles. I think there's an online coupon to get that bolt fluted by LRI for around $24-30 currently.

Here you go!

LRI has a coupon code that discounts the rifle bolt fluting from $65 + shipping to less than $25 with free return shipping.

Use the code "NEW HAAS" at checkout.

They have several styles of fluting to choose from.

Turnaround time is only a few days.

For push feed type actions only.

http://www.longriflesinc.com

This is a smoking cheap price if you ever wanted a bolt fluted

Ted

After talking to LRI today I’m now leaning more towards the 22 creedmoor. I just need to find dies for it.

What were the major selling points on the Creedmoor vs. .22-250 AI? I know everything Creedmoor is all the rage, but I can't imagine much difference between them. I really can't see where one will show a significant advantage over the other.

Thebear_78":1tnchyjg said:
68a5e9434e2a2d1313892c98c41b668d.jpg

2efaf3e36f9abc2edf5edef3825735e9.jpg

Got the dies, now I just need to send the rifle down to Long Rifles Inc for the metal work.

Getting following done
-bolt faces opened up and AR15 style extractor
-rechambered in 22-250 AI
-threaded for suppressor with cap

Considering the following
-fluting barrel in wrought iron pattern
-side bolt release
-bolt fluting to match barrel

Anyone else out there running a fast twist 22-250?

I run an 8 twist 22-250. Absolutely awesome set up in my opinion. Sucker is fun to shoot and is a demon with 75 grain Swift’s.

Your build sounds awesome. Hard to beat Lapua Brass for the Ackley or Alpha brass for the 22 CM. Cannot lose in either way you go.

taylorce1":3cj37r88 said:
What were the major selling points on the Creedmoor vs. .22-250 AI? I know everything Creedmoor is all the rage, but I can't imagine much difference between them. I really can't see where one will show a significant advantage over the other.

The biggest selling point was fit and feeding in the AICS magazine system and no fire forming. The down side is lack of dies and load data

I'm sure Chad Dixon knows more about it than I do. However, everything I've read on regular .22-250 from AI magazines is 5 round mags are flawless, but more than 7 in a 10 round and you can have issues. A lot of shooter use AI style magazines for 6XC with no issues both 5 &10 round capacities.

I'd order a 6mm/6.5 Creedmor neck die that uses bushings and the order the proper bushings for neck tension. Since the case is basically an AI you should have minimal stretch, but if you need to bump the shoulder back you can do it with a 6mm/6.5 CM full length die with decapping rod removed. You could probably seat with your .22-250 AI seating die.

Looking at picking up a Redding type s bushing full length sizer in 6mm creed with both .26 and .253 bushings. I guess it works better in a two stage size down process

Well I’m settled on 22 creedmoor. I’ve ordered the required dies and some brass. Now I have everything I need to load 22 creedmoor.

Thebear_78":38b059bu said:
Well I’m settled on 22 creedmoor. I’ve ordered the required dies and some brass. Now I have everything I need to load 22 creedmoor.

What brass did you order?

Nice!

I have 2 boxes, one almost full, of 75gr AMAX's. I think they are moly coated if I remember right. They tumbled in my Savage Predator Model 10 .223. I'll send them to you if you want them.

SJB358":4hidksn8 said:
Thebear_78":4hidksn8 said:

What brass did you order?

I believe you can order properly headstamped 22 Creedmore brass from Alpha Munitions.

For a game bullet, I think you're on the right track with the 75 Swift.

For use on varmints or targets, you should take a long look at the Hornady 75 or 80 ELD match bullet. The 75s are rock stars in my 1:8 match AR-15 to 600 yards vs. the 80 HPBTs I used to shoot.

Back