unusual rifles, handguns, shotgun, combination

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
I see far more rifle/shotgun combinations in Europe and Africa than I ever did in the United States.

We had at one time or another a combination, cape, drilling and double ( both shotgun and rifle ) but never a vierlings. We used the combination and double ( shotgun and rifle ) but dont remember ever using the cape or drilling to actually hunt with.

We also had an old black powder handgun that had a knife attached to the front sight that folded back over the barrel or you could flip it out to use it. I remember it was made in Spain.

A friend ( Aleena ) has a Blunderbuss pistol and long gun

What unusual rifle or shotgun do you have that seemed like owning was a good idea at the time or was perhaps handed down to you.

Dr Mike, still here but should get out soon, I am bored to tears. They tell me an 80 year old is suppose to do nothing, and I tell them that I hope my last day is full active day! lol

Never owned anything strange but have seen a few. Just saw a Drilling at a flea market in PA. They wanted $5000 for it and the wood was in bad shape and would have had to have major restoration just to get it to look good, I'm not even sure it was even functional.

Hope you get out of jail soon and next time you go where you shouldn't make sure you take a get out of jail free card along :wink: :roll: :lol: :lol: :grin:

I owned a Savage .410/.22 when I was a lad. It provided many hours of delight for a young man, accounting for many, many cottontails and red squirrels. Sorry that I don't still have that firearm. It would be a delight for my grandchildren to use.

Well, April, I'm still pretty well confined to an easy chair with heat on my leg as I chafe against the restraints imposed by my injury. Oh, yeah, I aim to go out having spent all I amassed and enjoying the life God gave me to the fullest!

I do believe if someone made a combo 12ga .223 Rem or .22-250 Rem. today and marketed correctly to people who call Coyotes & Fox it would sell.

I've never owned one of those combinations although it's interesting I guess. When you try to get one firearm to work well in two different environments at the same time, one or both of them is surely to be limited in its effectiveness. Think of it like this April.

Now say you had a wonderful loving, doting, caring husband (Which I assume a fine lady like yourself probably had.)and you think that he should be an excellent cook and a clean meticulous gentlemen at the same time. Your probably only going to get one of those at a time April and if he's good at one, the second area he may be lacking just a wee bit! So that's how I kind of think this whole shotgun & rifle combination conglomeration would end up!
Wow say that last sentence fast a couple times!

David :0)

O.K. I admit I had to look up the definitions to make sure I knew what I was responding to.

I have used a combination and like 1100 remington, the right one might be a fun gun to own. And of course the double, whether shotgun or rifle has proven to be effective

Otherwise I agree with David. The cape gun, if I understand it correctly, is a combination only side by side instead of over and under and to me they would not be effective past 50 yards, but maybe that was the intent. The Vierling borders on redicules in my mind.

The only strange rifle we have is the Weatherby (-;

At one time I owned a German made Drilling. Double 12 over a 7x57. Probably the most perfectly balanced shot gun I ever used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my first firearms was an older Savage 22 over .410 shotgun. I wasn't strong enough to break the action over with my hands/arms so would push the button and break it open over my leg.
I still have fond memories of that old gun and the hunts I took with it. It's time I dragged it out of my closet and shot it again.
I always thought a 243 over a pair of 20 or 28ga barrels would be a perfect woods gun.

1100 Remington Man":e6ijizu2 said:
I do believe if someone made a combo 12ga .223 Rem or .22-250 Rem. today and marketed correctly to people who call Coyotes & Fox it would sell.

I don't think so, I'm not saying it wouldn't have a limited market. I just don't think it would work well on multiples. When I used to a call with a partner one of us carried a shotgun the other the rifle. A lot of times we had multiple coyotes come in, best I ever did was take down three coyotes with a bolt action and it took me five shots to do it. The AR15 has made taking multiple coyotes in one stand much easier. We also used a 1100 shotgun that was hell on multiple coyotes with a full choke and #4 shot, but before we gave up chasing coyotes on a regular basis we both went to AR15's.

To keep a combo gun light enough people want to carry it hunting, it pretty much has to be a single shot. So at best a guy calling on his own would only get two dogs if they came in close enough to get in shotgun range. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

When I lived in Nevada, I'd be sitting on a stand and wishing I had a drilling in 12 ga. and 30-06. These days probably a 20 gr. and 7x57 but no need now. When I was on stand, many times I had chukar partridge literally come up to me as long as I held still. I used to call them in as well using a Circe coyote call. it was easy to duplicate the chuckle of undisturbed chukars with the call.
I never knew if deer or birds would show up while on stand. :lol:
Paul B.

Back