6.5 PRC in an FN Mauser Action?

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
I'm not a LR Hunter, 375 yds is my limit (I don't count that one unlucky rabbit at 405!), my average is about 250, so Looking at this old JC Higgins Mod 50 in .270. It doesn't like the last two 150gr bullets I tried nor a factory load either. I'm just wondering out loud here, but for the "least amount of money/time/components/dies/available factory loads", so far, the 6.5 PRC is looking good! This is an FN Commercial action, the 6.5 PRC is supossedly designed for medium actions...but its those feed rails!? I got rid of the Mod 700SA I had rebooted to 6.5/284 for feeding issues...even though I loved the cartridge! I'm in no hurry as I'm still gathering up my main battery ( .338WM/7x57/.243) .243 is on its way to the Smith now. If I did rebarrel this '98 to anything it would still be in a Sporter contour, 24" long at best. Yeah, I could go a 6.5/06 and form my brass, but still, no factory ammo. Any ideas from you other rifle looneys?

I like your idea of 6.5-06. So much good 25-06 brass out there that would be so simple to run over an expander and away you go.

I have even considered the 30-06 again...with these newer bullets/powders, the old Warhorse can certainly make the leap from flat shooter ( to 375) to thumping elk in the timber w/o a lot of fanfare. Its just a thought. The 6,5 PRC can handle elk fine, but the 6,5/06 can too. I wouldn't fool with another .270 , fast twist of otherwise, I think. The issue with the 6.5 PRC is opening up that bolt face for the magnum case too. I've had several Mausers opened up, its OK, just not always easy to make them feed right after. Opinions? Oh yeah, this is a spare or even a nasty weather rifle, even with its factory wood stock.

Why not .270 Win or .280 Rem? Not new and sexy but... Sounds like either would fit your needs in well established calibers. The .280 can have a bit of a handicap with the longer/heavier bullets in a Mauser 98, depending on your specific action.

6.5x55 might be another to consider depending on the size of game you intend to hunt. Ready made Norma and Lapua match brass. You can load to 6.5 SE data in your FN Mauser and run the bullets out good and long in that action.

I have slept on the matter...no 6.5 PRC, ha. Way too much work/money for what I want to do with this rifle. I'll probably end up selling it or trading it off to tell you the truth, just was thinking out-loud. I do think I'd rather have ( in a new rifle) the 6.5 PRC instead of either the 26 Nosler or 6.5/300 though. As far as that goes...if I ever ran across another 6.5/284 I liked I'd go with it. I might even, in a weak moment, even try a Savage! Arrgh...surely I didn't just say that? Lord have mercy! :)

Man, that is such a quality action. Seems like a good way to build a super fast twist 270... You might really like them spun up a little quicker and to be honest, won't leave much on the table, especially for your max ranges.

For practical purposes - if you have a 338, 7x57, and a 243, you really don't "need" for anything.

However, if it's to be a "backup" and "bad weather" rifle capable of substituting for any of the above, go with a 30-06 barrel, load up a pile of 180 gr Nosler Partitions to 2800 fps, and you're capable of dealing with anything in North America. It's even capable of substituting for your 338 Win mag.

Yes I'm biased. :grin:

So, the present 270 Win barrel won't shoot anything well? That's no good. Great cartridge.

Guy

Thanks gents. yes its more of a back-up, nasty weather rifle or spare on a trip. I am taking my time getting my 3 main rifle set up/accurized the way I want so not looking for a new project, ha. I am a sucker for the FN actions, but not a fan of this ones "bueller" type flag safety ( pushed up or down with the thumb on left side of the action when shouldered.) I like the thumb slide or Mod 70 type. However, that's no biggy. I've even thought about finding a Mod 50 takeoff barrel in '06 on ebay or something, just to see.
So far the accuracy is "just OK" with 150gr, nothing to keep it out of the woods but not dear to me heart for sure! ha. I just wanted to use 150s. If I sell it at Cabela's I wont get much for it at all, certainly won't recover what I already have in it. I don't think there is enough barrel thickness( it has iron sights too so I don't know how deep the screw holes go and I don't know if it has enough shank to turn back enough to clean up that .270 length for an '06 length case) for a JES rebore to 30 cal much less a 338/06 or so. The barrel measures .545" at the muzzle, add in the screw holes and there you have it. I am going to try the old stand by, the 130PT/H4831 and see how that does, plus some Barnes 110TTSX Federal factory loads. I also have some Nosler 160s to try. I can live with any of those IF they shoot well.

Preacher,
Just an FYI, along with the rails the bolt head for the 6.5 PRC is a mag (.532)

Yes sir, that's another mark against putting it in this FN, I just don't want to take the chance of it not feeding right. See, my old gunsmith had to retire, Lou Gehrigs, and he was a 'genius" in many ways! I have only had one rifle done by a newer guy I found. I'm waiting to see how he does tweaking another before considering him for a project like this. He really specializes in custom LR rifles but will do whatever he says.

Ah, I was going to ask if you'd give the good ol' 130's a try. They often shoot well from a decent 270 Win.

Also, Gerry has done some good things with the long/heavy 160's from his 270 as I recall.

Guy

I'm beginning to think I just need to sell this thing and look for a rifle that I don't have to put a lot of money into or not at all, i.e. semi-custom. By the time you add up a rebarrel, rebidding, etc, I may as well look at an existing rifle. I have no sentimental connection ( I'm big on "liking what I own" kinda of a rifleman, ha. I love to look at, fondle, handle and shoot a nice accurate rifle.

Back