338 Win Mag

djauofd

Beginner
Oct 30, 2017
So I am a not a follower. I have always wanted to buck the system. Just how I operate. Warning it can be anoying. Any hoot just finished up a custom 270 win build. I have had two 270's for years mainly hunting. I just alway hear how the 270 is not an extreme long range caliner. To me I think "no 270 could be a good long range 1,000 plus rifle, just can not because basis of design (1 -10) twist and limiting 150 gr bullets will not let it. No high bc bullets = no long range. So I just finished building a custom 270 win with a 1 x 8 to launch 170 gr Berger Elite hunters at what looks like 2,950 +/- out of a McGowen Precision 26" Sendero profile barrel. I did my first ladder and got 2,885 using RL 26, but they are loaded long 3.496" COL. So there is more room. Next ladder will I beleive max at 2,950. From there I will tune. I also am loading out some 150 ABLR ' S expecting 3,100 plus out of these. So there goes the long range myth of the 270. Initial accuracy prove sub moa. More tuning as load development continues. Both rounds show supersonic to 1,700 yds +/- at sea level 59 deg F.

So this build and it's proven thesis got me to thinking. All the scuttle but about the venerable 338 Lapua Magnum. Never owned anything over 30 caliner. A couple of AR10'S in 308 win. So you read and read about how you have all the 338 RUM'S the 338 Edge etc etc. and how the 338 win mag just can not do it. I take that as a challenge. It's like building the little train who could I guess. A little research finds that 338 starting to get some really high BC bullets. While 338 Lapua and Edge have an advantage, they do it at the price of efficiency and cost. Check out Lapua 338 mag ammo, brass etc and after you pick yourself off the floor you think how can afford to fire this thing. So how can attain virtual performance at a cost that will actually allow me to shoot this thing without going broke. We'll you can. The 338 win mag is efficient in terms of net energy vs loads from others. Essentially less powder translated to more work output.
You can get either once fired or new brass relatively cheep compared to Lapua Mag.
So here what I found with a 26" barrel and hand loading you can get the following approximate velocities. 300 gr 2,580, 285 gr 2,650, 265 gr 2,750, 250 gr 2,850. Using using any of the following: Berger Elites in 250 and 300, Nosler 265 gr ABLR's, and Hornady 285 ELD'S you can get to 1,700 yds (+/- 100 yds) supersonic at sea level.

Yes the 338 Lapua can get you to 2,000 the Edge 1,900. but when you look at cost you are getting the 338 win mag to accomplish this at a reload cost of $1.15 to $1.20 per round just slightly more 20% than the 270 win. This means you can actually afford to go out and shoot it. Shooting is what it is all about. So given the above I orderered another McGowen 26" barrel 338 win mag, with a threaded muzzel for a break.. order a 700 magnum SS reciever and a Magpul 700 hunter stock. Unfortunately the barrel will not get here till mid April and until I measure the chamber I will not start loading. Got brass, primers (wlrm) and some 265 ABLR, 285 ELD'S and some Serra 250 SMK's.

I'll keep everyone posted on my load work ups. There are some short ranges around here 200 to 300 yds (good for load development)but ultimately want to stretch both these rounds (270 win and 338 win mag) to 1,000 yds plus. I also a Burris XTR II SCR scope 90 moa vertical adjustment. With a 20 moa rail and a 20 moa scope mount the start of the bottom of adjustment is roughly a 200 yd zero. So you have 90 moa or 26.3 mils vertical adjustment left in scope. All rounds will attain 2,000 yds +/- supersonic at 5,000 ft. Which will take roughly 26 mils.

Keep everyone updated as I develop both these rifles and loads.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Interesting stuff right there! Your 270 with 150 ABLR will effectively take game out to 600 yds if you do your part. However they ALL run out of steam at some point and it's pretty unrealistic to try 1000/1500 yd shots on
Large game, regardless of what is being shown on TV, there is plenty of scuttlebutt within the guiding community about how a lot of this stuff is being filmed..........
Your new 338 project sounds interesting, good luck with that one! Bet it turns out to be a dandy

Very cool, two of my favorites as well, the 338 Win and 270 Win. I happen to have and use both quite alot.

Looking forward to seeing how well folks do with the Nosler 265. That sucker should be an animal around 2700.

SJB358":1p7ank5c said:
Very cool, two of my favorites as well, the 338 Win and 270 Win. I happen to have and use both quite alot.

Looking forward to seeing how well folks do with the Nosler 265. That sucker should be an animal around 2700.
Yep the 265 starting at just around 2,800 should have 2,000 ft lbs out to 800 yds. The 270 with the 170 Berger Elite is no slouch either launching at 2,950 it has just shy of 2,000 ft lbs at 500 yds and 1,300 plus ft pds at 1,000 yds. Can't wait to get my load workups for both these guns.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

35 Whelen":3j6fmvj4 said:
Interesting stuff right there! Your 270 with 150 ABLR will effectively take game out to 600 yds if you do your part. However they ALL run out of steam at some point and it's pretty unrealistic to try 1000/1500 yd shots on
Large game, regardless of what is being shown on TV, there is plenty of scuttlebutt within the guiding community about how a lot of this stuff is being filmed..........
Your new 338 project sounds interesting, good luck with that one! Bet it turns out to be a dandy
I myself would not hunt out past 600 yds but at 600 the 170 gr Berger Elite Hunter would best the ABLR with 1,774 ft lbs versus 1,633 ft lbs left at 600 yds. I believe the ABLR to be a better bullet though, but either round placed right would do the job. If accurracy were comparable I would go with the 170 Berger though. less wind drift. I'll post up again once I get both loads further down the devrlopment road.

djauofd":3izi0wzw said:
SJB358":3izi0wzw said:

Yep the 265 starting at just around 2,800 should have 2,000 ft lbs out to 800 yds. The 270 with the 170 Berger Elite is no slouch either launching at 2,950 it has just shy of 2,000 ft lbs at 500 yds and 1,300 plus ft pds at 1,000 yds. Can't wait to get my load workups for both these guns.

For sure man. I dig using the older cartridges that really work well with the newer powders.. The 338 Win is a BEAST with RL26 and 250's. I gotta think if it fits in my gun that I would easily get 2700 and some more without too much drama..

Same goes for the 270 Win. Pretty danged cool if they shoot for you.

No reason the 338WM couldn't mimic the 338 Lapua on paper anyhow...look at the .308/300WM rounds at 1000! Here in Utah, years back, the 338 RUM was being set up by my old smith for guys ( many military) who wanted " a poor mans Lapua". It worked in spades for targets and some even took game way out there. The key, as always, is the Platform. Sounds like you are having fun though! :) That's what really matters in the long run my friend!

preacher":a56x4x0w said:
No reason the 338WM couldn't mimic the 338 Lapua on paper anyhow...look at the .308/300WM rounds at 100! Here in Utah, years back, the 338 RUM was being set up by my old smith for guys ( many military) who wanted " a poor mans Lapua". It worked in spades for targets and some even took game way out there. The key, as always, is the Platform. Sounds like you are having fun though! :) That's what really matters in the long run my friend!
Fun it is. thanks

djauofd":1u3vy1a9 said:
Silent Sam":1u3vy1a9 said:
Never thought of the 338WM as "the little train..." :eek:
Everything is relative. :eek:

Finally got the McGowen Precision barrel in. Built rifle the other day. Here is a pic of the rifle and the rounds I will start ladder testing with. 250 SMK, 285 ELD M, Nosler 300 gr Competition.
c97d4533bbf40993b4053b56271be745.jpg
fcb41a1a49b3a081b157cb0cbfa524b6.jpg

Looks good. Is that your first experience with the MagPul stock? I’d be interested to know if you like it.

gbflyer":1wcr9723 said:
Looks good. Is that your first experience with the MagPul stock? I’d be interested to know if you like it.
This is my second 700 Hunter. I really like the stock, its completed adjustable and it shoots great out my custom 270 win build.

djauofd":ds85oadt said:
gbflyer":ds85oadt said:
This is my second 700 Hunter. I really like the stock, its completed adjustable and it shoots great out my custom 270 win build.

Nice. I debated between that one and the Stockys M50. Settled on the Stocky’s mostly because they have treated me so well in the past with their great customer service. I like it, sort of heavier than I expected and I did have to bed the action into the bedding block. No fault of the block, I’ve never had a straight Rem 700 action. Just lucky I guess. [emoji1]. I did get the MagPul mag well and magazine. It took some minor fitting, but was not a big deal. The quality of today’s polymers is amazing to me.

gbflyer":1zinun64 said:
djauofd":1zinun64 said:
gbflyer":1zinun64 said:

Nice. I debated between that one and the Stockys M50. Settled on the Stocky’s mostly because they have treated me so well in the past with their great customer service. I like it, sort of heavier than I expected and I did have to bed the action into the bedding block. No fault of the block, I’ve never had a straight Rem 700 action. Just lucky I guess. [emoji1]. I did get the MagPul mag well and magazine. It took some minor fitting, but was not a big deal. The quality of today’s polymers is amazing to me.
Yes polymers have come a long way.

djauofd":2q9p7g3b said:
gbflyer":2q9p7g3b said:
djauofd":2q9p7g3b said:
gbflyer":2q9p7g3b said:

Yes polymers have come a long way.

here is the custm 270 win 1 x 8 twist. Can fire the 170 berger elite hunter and the 175 gr Matrix. Unlkie the 338 win mag it has the same Sendero profile 26" McGowen Precision without threading for a break
bdaa144ca4f27498d9f5bc5a48909dde.jpg

Finally got the 338 win mag to the range the other day. Only focused on targets to 50 yds as I had three 10 round ladders. One for 250 gr SMK, one for 285gr ELD M and one for 300 gr Nosler Custom comp. For the 250 gr SMK with 77 gr of RL26 I was able to get 2,848 FPS. For the 285 gr ELD M, I was able to get 2,530 fps with 69.7 gr RL26, With the Nosler 300 gr Custom Comp I was able the get 2,458 fps with 68.1 gr RL 26. I was just running them through and chronoing them they were all very small groups. No loads showed and pressure signs, I’m know I am getting close but I am not sure how much further I want to push it. Also these speeds are out a brand new 26” McGowen precision 1-10 twist 5R barrels. The barrel is a Sendero profile so it is heavy but it seems out of the box it will be more accurate than I can currently shoot. This was on a nice day 58 degrees at 400 ft elevation. So what is consensus should I load up another grain or two to find max and then play within a couple of grains to find accuracy nodes or should I leave well enough alone and start ringing out accuracy with seating depth etc. I would think finding max is the prudent thing to do first. So I may take ladders out at .3 grain increments to 1.5 grains more and see what I get. Also being that is brand new how much will velocity increase as I get up to say a 200 round count? Love the rifle, with brake it feels like a heavy 30 06. Manageable. I am Super this will shoot sub moa and may be capable of more with a better shooter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As a note the new Rem 700 receiver presented a problem. The extractor did not reliably extract rounds. When looking at the bolt face the extractor insert it appears as if the machined tooth to grab the rim is dam near non existent. So I ordererd a new on through Brownells.. other than that the action is smooth and positive. It’s always something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back