348 Fun.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Finally got all I needed for reloading for Dad's old 348, minus a brass trimming collet for my trimmer that will fit a 348 case, but all the new brass fell within case length specs after running them through the re-sizer so I didn't worry about it for now.

Loaded up some singular incremental charges and the old girl easily cruised past 2600 with 200 gr Hornady's while still slightly under max and no hints of pressure. That kinda surprised me I figured things would be worn enough it would struggle with velocity some but not the case, that's right at peak book velocity with that load.

I backed it down to 2550 and loaded up a couple to try out for group. Not sure if the gun can do better or not, but probably close to as good as I can do without a peep sight at 50 yds. 1'st and last shot are the 2 closest to center, if I drift the rear sight over slightly I should be in business.

Probably stick with this load. 2550 with a 200 grain and a wide frontal area should be a decent thumper on deer. Whole lot of fun I know that. I love everything about these guns.

Skookum rifle; nothing wrong with that velocity and a 200 grain bullet. It will be a thumper that'll drop a deer right smartly.

DrMike":2hqi1jom said:
Skookum rifle; nothing wrong with that velocity and a 200 grain bullet. It will be a thumper that'll drop a deer right smartly.
Mike, ive seen the term "skookum" applied to a few rifles and dont know what it is. my google-fu is weak, and I'm hoping you'll enlighten me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Skookum is Northwest jargon for "good", "great", "strong", "powerful"... basically a slang term with positive or admirable connotation.

That rifle is six kinds of cool! and there isn't anything wrong with that group and open sights at 50yards! So glad it came together for you. :) CL

I only know about a half million guys in Alaska that would want that neat old ORIGINAL Winchester!
That's what we call " Fine & Dandy"

hodgeman":3ket9j8q said:
Skookum is Northwest jargon for "good", "great", "strong", "powerful"... basically a slang term with positive or admirable connotation.

+1

Most admirable riflery. (y) Enviable group. 8)

Excellent. Looks like you have a hammer load there.
Hope you get a chance to fill a tag or two with that beautiful 348

JD338

Most importantly it is earned. To be regarded skookum is very honorable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 Whelen":162be5wh said:
I only know about a half million guys in Alaska that would want that neat old ORIGINAL Winchester!
That's what we call " Fine & Dandy"

You aren't kidding E.. Heck, I would like an original myself one of these days. It is a thumper of the first order! I love mine a bunch and really need to find an excuse to carry it one of these days. I always say I am going to carry it when I am just hunting with another hunter in elk country but I always chicken out when I know I have my old 338 sitting right there. Funny thing is the last 4 elk have been under 150 yards and I could have easily hammered them with my 348 Win and the 250 Woodleighs...

Wow thanks for all the kind words fellas. Warms my heart more for my Dad than anything else. Much appreciated.

E, Aside from the fact that it's an old gun with some character behind it, I can believe that statement about anybody that knows and has handled these old 71's. Everybody that picks it up comments on its looks, balance and feel, regardless of their differences in size. Like a favorite winter chair by the fire, the gun feels as comfortable as home and its made for you. Winchester built one fine rifle when they produced this, in my opinion.

Shade Tree, I am envious, what a nice rifle and the fact it was your dad's makes it perfect!

I know Cheyenne has, at least, three of the 348's, I believe two are original Winchester 71's and one Browning. I have been unable to get a reply from her, but remember her telling me she preferred the Carbine, which I believe has a 20in inch barrel.

Two questions, what does one lose, velocity wise by using a 20 inch barrel compared to the 24 ? Does the smaller length barrel make it handle better ?

Shade tree. How hard would it be for you to put on a Bolt peep with a hooded ramp ( which I think was how they were originally equipped )

we are seriously looking at these, and the Brownings and also wondering about the recoil, thanks

John

First off, Winchester did not call the 20 inch barrel a carbine. They made the 71 in two different length barrels, with the 24inch barrel being the most popular and most made. My personal opinion is any desire at this point to have a 20 inch barrel is because their were so few of them made. Obviously they would handle a bit better, especially in the forest, but it is not an extreme difference.

Ir would be my recommendation that you find the best one you can find for the money and not worry about the barrel length.

You and your wife shoot the 270 and 340 Weatherby, you will not notice the recoil from the 348,when your hunting with it.

And "if" the rifle you are going to buy is to hunt with, you should give serious thought to the Browning.

Shade Tree, It is, in fact, that your rifle fits in the category of "skookum", even without the history, but with the history that it was owned and used by your father--"skookum" is the perfect word to describe it!

This country was full of 1886 Winchesters before the 71's came out one of my grandfathers ( mothers side)
Had one in 33 Winchester, but by far the most desired one was the 1886 "ExtraLight weight model "with the Take- Down option, all the guides used them here in 30/40/50's. I still have one that was my granddads brothers ,
It's a 45/70 and has been engraved, restocked with 2X Black Walnut; and all new finishes thruout. 20" rapid taper ELW barrel. Silver wash on the receiver, kind cool old gun!
All the scuttlebutt around here was the big .348 W was a keeper ;as it has the reputation of hitting like
"Joe Lewis" here is why:
This rimmed, bottleneck, centerfire cartridge is based on a necked-down .50-110 case!! It features considerable body taper and a 19-degree, 4-minute shoulder.( So it feeds like glass) The maximum case length is 2.255 inches, the maximum cartridge overall length is 2.795 inches and the rim diameter is a whopping .610 inch. The case will hold about 76 grains of water!!!
It really is a "Big Whompum" :grin:

35 Whelen":25r5uazb said:
It really is a "Big Whompum" :grin:

Earle This is probably the name Cheyenne heard when she was first told of them and probably the reason she felt she had to have one. lol

Sorry Shade Tree, Earle, Dr Mike, and I sometimes steer of course a bit on the other hand it might also be why your father wanted one, especially if he had any Indian blood running through his veins. You might want to check your family history lol

Hunterny. Yes you can put peep sights on them, some have them on from factory far as I know. I don't know if they just came that way or if it was an add on order. I believe Williams still makes a peep sight that will fit the 348. I'll probably let it the way it is, but who knows what will pop in my head later. Ha.

As far as recoil Europe is correct. It's a horse of a cartridge but recoil is very manageable. On paper that load I have with 200 grains and the powder charge recoils a couple of lbs more than an 06 with 180 grains, but it doesn't feel like it on my end. It's a shove type of recoil. The recoil velocity is noticeably less than an 06 and in my view the recoil is spread out and doesn't rap you as hard. Can't speak for the Brownings but in the model 71 it's certainly just as easy or quite possibly even softer to shoot off the bench than an 06.

Earle, I found out full well about that big ole rim. Nothing I have fits. Lol. I have 5 loading blocks and none of them came close to having holes big enough to accommodate the 348. I ended up drilling out every other hole on an extra wooden block I had just to have something to set them in. Lol.

I loaded .015 over max length at 2.810. That puts the 200 gr Hornady .055 behind the lands on this rifle. At that length they still feed through like butter and seats the bullet about mid height on the crimp groove.

Back