Montana Rifle Co X2....is now becoming the X3

26NosFan

Handloader
Apr 3, 2015
Hey all,
I haven't posted in quite a while but I have lurked. i wanted to let you guys know some news about the MRC X3 soon to be the X3. If you remember I was one of the first adopters of the 26 Nosler NOT on a Nosler 48 platform. I ordered an X2 from MRC in December '14 and received the rifle in may of '15. At $1400 it wasn't cheap but it was what I wanted, a stainless M70 Clone with a sturdy Kevlar stock and the traditional M70 trigger. I was completely please with the fit and finish of the rifle and I scoped it with a Steiner GS3 3-15x50(not a light scope but not a heavyweight tacticool either) this was to be a medium to long range do everything packing rifle, fear the man with one rifle type thing. Well all said and done scoped sling and 4 rounds on board it was just over 9lbs. Love it, its a tackdriver but a featherweight it is not. I really wanted a lighter rifle, but some of it is my fault ie LA with a 26" tube. A SA with a 22" would have been lighter of course.
To the point of my post. Coming out of SHOT MRC announced that the X2 will be upgraded to be come the X3. The changes will be a new stock(same pattern that is really good) but the makeup of materials makes it 14-16 oz lighter. They will also go from steel bottom metal to aluminum saving even more weight. The X2 is listed at 7lb 10oz(its heavier than that). the X3 doesn't have a listed weight yet but I'm guessing 6lb 7 oz will be where it lands.
I sent them a message yesterday and was please to get an immediate response. I had asked would the new parts be available for purchase for me to upgrade and put my X2 on a diet. The answer was absolutely yes. Here's the burn. The bottom metal? $250! the new stock? $450!!! They suggested I send it back to have the stock fitted and bedded to the action like they do in production. Well as nice as it would be; 1lb IS NOT worth $700 and shipping of a rifle. She will just have to stay a little "thick" as the young'uns say. there are some very good drop in stocks that are lighter but have that $600-900 price tag(ie MPI McM, HS Precision). Just some info guys, thanks for listening.

I saw that. They seem like right on point with aluminum BM and lightening the stocks. 6.5 to 6.7 lbs empty is a pretty danged good place to be for a good walking hunting rifle. With a decent scope and solid mounts on board I bet 8.5 lbs is just about where it will land. Great rifles though. Glad they are making them a bit lighter.

I am with you on the $700, to upgrade?
Gosh you could have a T3x that can be just under 6lbs standing by for less than the upgrade!

Heck, you can buy the whole darned X3 for 1300 bucks. I think they are a good deal for a 70 trigger group and action with better gas handling. Especially for a good SS / Kevlar stock. Looks like they opened the grip up a little as well.

I'm thinking hard about getting one of the new X3's in 6mm Remington with 1-9 twist. They do not catalog that chambering but they told me it would be no big deal to make that caliber for me or anyone else for that matter that wanted one. Oh man a 6mm Remington in a Model 70.............what's not to like!

6mm Remington":24b3dsjr said:
I'm thinking hard about getting one of the new X3's in 6mm Remington with 1-9 twist. They do not catalog that chambering but they told me it would be no big deal to make that caliber for me or anyone else for that matter that wanted one. Oh man a 6mm Remington in a Model 70.............what's not to like!

If they are making it for you, go 8 on the Twist. Trust me, you’ll like it.

SJB358":1ua01ych said:
6mm Remington":1ua01ych said:

Thanks Scotty. I'll probably never shoot anything over 100 grs. unless they make say a 105 gr. AccuBond LR or something.

6mm Remington":16ewyhy7 said:
SJB358":16ewyhy7 said:
6mm Remington":16ewyhy7 said:

Thanks Scotty. I'll probably never shoot anything over 100 grs. unless they make say a 105 gr. AccuBond LR or something.

True, but it’s nice to have and not need it. I’d imagine Nosler will have to make a decent LR bullet sooner or later. They’re getting left behind a bit with everyone else stepping up on the 6mms.

Back