Bucket List score!

Bbear

Beginner
Jan 13, 2015
One of my uncles had a couple of Newton Rifles. Mauser actions but with an interrupted thread instead of the double-lug bolt on most mausers. Double-set trigger that's a hair's breath to go off when set. One was a 256 Newton made in Buffalo the other was a 22 Newton if I remember correctly.
Uncle Bill has long been gone but the memories of that rifle and all the things he taught me about fishing and hunting and being an outdoorsman remain.
And since I first had the chance to handle those rifles, I've wanted one.

I finally got one. A first edition Newton Rifle in 256 is in my stable. This old rifle, made in 1916 or thereabouts, has the slim stock and double-set triggers I remember. I just feels good in my hands. The rifle came with a Leupold M8-4x scope and I'll swap that out for a more modern one I have in the safe.

Now to get dies and get some brass made and go shoot it.

And yes, I did take some pics of the old timer.

QBNTmmT.jpg

0OplJK2.jpg

Congratulations. That is just too cool. Great cartridge; with modern bullets and powders, there is not much in NA you wouldn't be able to successfully hunt with that rifle.

Very nice! I like it!

I don't care what anybody says, there's something about the fit and quality of some older guns that comes from some final finish hand work and a good eye that cannot be replicated by the most expensive and advanced technology of modern times. That gun would certainly fall in that category in my opinion. Very nice.

Congratulations on your Newton :wink: you just can't beat that workmanship and quality.
I am sure that she will bring you years of enjoyment (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Back