Why not a 300 WSM?

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
I have the itch to buy a new stainless steel, composite stocked, left-handed rifle suitable for elk hunting. There are limited choices in makes, models and calibers. The new Montana Rifle Company X3 has caught my attention. They offer it in a wide variety of cartridges. A LGS said they would be happy to order it for me.

Although I like the concept of using a 338 caliber on elk, I don't have the interest in working with the recoil of the 338 magnums. So I am thinking of a 30 caliber rifle. Yes, the 30-06 will do job. In fact, the only elk I ever shot was with a 30-06. However, I keep thinking I would like something capable of a little more horsepower.

Why not a 300 WSM? What is not to like about the shorter action? The overall rifle is shorter and a couple of ounces lighter. The 300 WSM will provide more velocity than the 30-06 with the 180 AB and, if wanted, it can be loaded down to 30-06 velocities for deer hunting (165 BT) or shooting steel.

The discussion section of the 300 WSM in all the reloading manuals say that the cartridge uses a little less powder than the 300 WM for the same velocity, therefore resulting in a little less recoil. Yes, it doesn't attain quite as high a velocity as the 300 WM but I think it is enough over the 30-06 to satisfy me.

The 300 WSM seems fairly popular. The cost of brass isn't outrageous and the choice of bullets is excellent. Sure, some of the longest, heaviest 30 caliber bullets won't work as well as in a 30-06 or 300 WM, but I don't expect to ever use it for the big bears. So, I won't miss the longer bullets.

So, why not a 300 WSM for one last elk hunt and as a second deer rifle?

Dan

Dan, I would absolutely pick up a 300 WSM and have had one in the past. Nothing you said is wrong and the powders out today make it even better than ever. RL17/26 will both crush down 3050 with a 180 and 2900+ with the 200's. Plus it works just fine with a slew of other powders you probably have on hand.

Also, in the Montana, you'll get a full 3" magazine, so you wouldn't have a single issue with loading those longer bullets if you wanted to.

It is a solid jump about the 30-06 in my opinion if you don't wanna jump up in caliber. It was a very easy cartridge to load for as well. Mine was a tackdriver and it is one of the rifles I wished I would have kept. My only beef with it was it shot 180 BT's, AB's, 200 Partitions, 180 Partitions really well, but for the life of me I could never make the darned 200 AccuBond shoot the way I wanted so in a fit I sold it.

Knowing now, what I wished I knew then, it was an awesome rifle/cartridge and would be excellent for all manner of hunting. My buddy still runs one with 165 AB's at 3150 and it is very accurate and elk/deer capable much further than I am.

There isn't a downside to the 300 WSM. I believe it is here to stay. Just look on the shelves at your LGS. Plenty of ammo out there.

300 WSM, or 325 WSM are both winners.

338-06 is an option too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the 300 WSM is the best of all the 300 magnums for a number of reasons. It offers excellent performance without the excessive recoil of the bigger 300's. Easy to find ammo too. A real plus over other big 30's is it does well with faster burning powders such as H 4895 and RL 15. Using anywhere from around 55-60 gr depending on the exact powder gets you 2950-3050 fps with a 165 gr bullet with a lot less recoil than the typical 180 gr loads with +/- 70 gr or powder. I had one a number of years ago and it's in the plans to get one this year again, still have dies and brass. I think you would be most pleased with a 300 WSM and it really doesn't give anything up to the 338's when it comes to big animals.

I was an early adopter of the 300 WSM in 2001. It is in my opinion the best cartridge created in the last several decades. Excellent selection of factory ammo, super versatile, easy to load for, short action, and good for any NA game you would want to hunt, even toothy ones with 200-220grs. my favorite loads are with W760 and H414, charges in the 90-100% fill have always worked best. 4350 and 4831 are very good as well. 150 BT and 67.5 of 760(nosler book max) has accounted for a lot of game for me. Both my rifles clock that just over 3300. 165s at 3190 and 200 at 2900. those loads cover deer, elk, moose and bear. i do have a speedy load used for yotes using 130gr'ers at 3650 plus too. If I had to have only one big game rifle it would be a 300 WSM.

I've got a guide acquaintance that tells me that he's had lots of short mags show up that will not feed. I'm not sure what the cure is for that. I understand that the Ruger Compact Magnums are more reliable, 30 degree shoulder and no rebated rim. Of course harder to find ammo and not as potent.

Seems like a good idea.

I never had a bit of trouble with the Browning A Bolt's I had in 300 and 325 WSM when it came to feeding. There were a few issues with some guns at the beginning but that has been taken care of a long time ago. It's just not an issue anymore.

I've been a nearly exclusive user of the .300WSM since 2006 on game up to moose.

I have zero reservations about hunting anything in N.America with it. A 180gr bullet at 2950 is easy to achieve with accuracy and solves just about any ballistic equation out there. With newer powder you can get substantial increases in velocity if that's your thing.

I've had three .300WSMs and never experienced the much ballyhooed feeding issues... not saying it's not real, but I will say that it's not nearly as common as the Interweb would purport it to be.

For an "all around" N. American hunting rifle- the .300WSM is an ideal choice.

I've had two 300 WSMs (and a 325 WSM). I love the cartridge. It has accounted for multiple moose, elk, mule deer, whitetails and black bears. I'd hate to be without one. All I've shot fed reliably (and I've shot several score while working up loads for customers).

mjcmichigan":yn7acdac said:
SJB358":yn7acdac said:
Nope, my 70’s have fed excellent!

+1

I had a Remington 700 that wouldn’t feed worth s damn, every Winchester has fed slick as hell.

I’m sitting on a manners elite stock and a set of accurate WSM AICS magazines waiting on having a lighter weight 300 WSM built. Going with a proof CF barrel, Haven’t decided on the action yet. Should be a very versatile big game rifle!

My son has a Winchester Extreme Weather SS in 300 WSM and it's a great cartridge! He shoots it very well and has had the rifle since he was 16, and the recoil never bothered him. It's very pleasant to shoot and is very accurate. I'd say go for it and you won't be disappointed.

David

Wow! Thank you for all the responses. I don't believe I have ever seen such consensus! With this much positive feed back how could I not order one? :grin:

I don't have one and haven't handled one but ballistically it's a neat cartridge. After reading some of the posts I looked up the cartridge drawings and with an almost none existent case body taper and a steep shoulder, one could see some feeding issues with a faulty or sloppy designed action for that particular case. Nothing that couldn't be completely overcome with some forethought of design by the gun manufacturer, and obviously has been by some of the responses.

I'm not a magnum guy but it does appear to be a really neat and versatile cartridge! It might be the one magnum I would cave to. :grin:

NyDan did Rol_P show you those two samples I gave him last year ? You know the 35Whelen and the 35Whelen /AI. Both of those out of a 24" barrel will push a 200gr bullet at over 3Kfps plus 2950fps with a 225gr PT and with the same recoil or less then a 300Win. Never shot a 300WSM but I have wondered why I ever bought the 338Win I carried in Montana though I did also carry the 35Whelen/AI a few times also and could easily hit the gong at 400yds with a 3" high 100yd sight in.
If you think you need a 300WSM then get one but I think you could do more with the 35Whelen then the 300WSM with the heavier bullets available in .35 cal. It's not as flat shooting as a 300WSM but neither is a 30-06. JMO

The feeding issue with the WSM's was resolved by milling a detent in the magazine follower that gave the short fat case the room required to feed at the required angle from the magazine. Browning and Winchester rifles were quickly changed to accomodate. Remingtons were quick to follow after that.

My 300 WSM is built on a left handed Remington 700 short action that had this issue addressed at the time of build and has never had a feeding issue.

The rifle shoots 1/2 MOA with 180 gr AB's over 69.5 gr of WXR for 2970 fps, and has accounted for moose, elk, black bear and wolf. It also performs equally well with Winchester 180 gr Power Points and Federal Premium 180 AB's.

Of the various 300 magnums I have shot or owned over the years, the WSM is my preferred choice: accurate, modest recoil and easy to load for, with great game performance.

If the smith I went with to build my 300 would have done WSM's I'd likely have done one instead of a 300 win mag. My win mag pushes a 180gr AccuBond at 2956fps with a 23" barrel and a WSM would do the same, I'd go for it. That level of performance will get the attention of any elk that walks and let you shoot deer without being to picky about shot angle.

The 300WSM is one of the good ones! In the Win70 or it's clones it works very well. You can have a smith adjust the throat to max out the 3+" magazine and get every ounce of performance as well as allow you to shoot the heavies.

Scott

I have a Savage 16 325 WSM that I got when I helped a friend out of a money bind he was in, and really like it. What little I've shot it, it shoots Double Tap factory ammo with TSX's lights out, with less recoil than my 300 WM. I've never worked up loads for it, and it's been in the safe for three years now, I may have to dust it off and work with it some this spring.

Back